SASS Wire Forum

Primers

Snakebite

I read a while back that primers would become available for a short time and then dry up again. Seems like that has come to pass. For while I saw a number of reputable dealers selling primers for $75/1000 + fees, with a limit of one box. I haven't seen that lately. As far as I can see, the ban on importing Russian primers hasn't brought them to their knees yet.

Snakebite

Saw basically that exact phenomenon around here. Primers available for about a week then dried up. None available around here at all again. I can get powder locally though. And my online bullet sources are flush with product. Just need that last little piece of the puzzle...

This is what I experienced as well.  For a brief time Midway and Brownells was selling them 1,000 at a time for $75.99, then that dried up.  Interestingly, over on Gunbroker prices have not gone back up, yet.  Prices are running in the low $500s. to $600 for 5,000 Federal Small Pistol primers.  At one point prices there were over $1,000 for 5,000.  I anticipate they'll begin to go back up soon. That makes me glad I bought on the dip.

I moved about a year & a half ago and packed all my loading equipment in boxes

Well a couple of weeks ago I was looking for some other things and found 18,000 primers and several #'s of powder

Now if I could just find all the parts and dies for the loading presses

Part of the joy of going from 3100 sq. ft. down to 1200

I did that 3 yrs ago when I moved from our large mountain home to a small place in town. I had to down size drastically, and now can't find anything.

3 hours ago, Trailboss (Santa) Dave said:

Well a couple of weeks ago I was looking for some other things and found 18,000 primers and several #'s of powder

Been there, done that.

Worked real well for us.

1 hour ago, Beartrap SASS#57175 said:

Snakebite, if you're running short on primers I've got plenty I'll send you. Just be aware they're "blems" though. Got little dents in them.:D

I always knew you liked me!

Did my semi weekly tour of sporting good stores in town today. I was glad to see a lot of ammo on the shelves compared to a month or two ago. Not a ton of choice on calibers but it is definitely improving.

As far as primers and any powder in my area NOTHING at all.

Talked to my brother in Des Moines‘s Iowa yesterday and he said Cabela’s had a few bricks of large pistol primers, so anybody close go get them. LOL

Large and small pistol primers are always available on Gunbroker.  Just sayin'.

I got 2000 Remington small pistol and 1000 Remington large pistol primers yesterday at a "local" store (40 miles away) for $70/1000 with no limit on how many you could buy. They also had some powder but I'm pretty well set on powder for the nonce...

On 9/6/2021 at 9:58 AM, Trailboss (Santa) Dave said:

Just recently been there, didn't downsize but upsize a little bit, still can't find my stuff. Go figure.:wacko::D

I have had some luck lately with trading primers from local firearm forums. I just traded 5K CCI SPP for 5K Federal SPP! I cannot bring myself to pay over $100 per 1,000 primers, but a decent trade works for me :)

I do suppose the barter tactic assumes you have something with which to barter though...

On 9/5/2021 at 6:56 AM, Snakebite said:

I read a while back that primers would become available for a short time and then dry up again. Seems like that has come to pass. For while I saw a number of reputable dealers selling primers for $75/1000 + fees, with a limit of one box. I haven't seen that lately. As far as I can see, the ban on importing Russian primers hasn't brought them to their knees yet.

Snakebite

The ban on importation of Russian ammo is a misnomer.  It is a ban on processing new licenses to import Russian ammo.  Typically import licenses are valid for 2 calendar years.  Therefore it will be a while before 20-25% of ammo supply of ammo dries up.  Also the E.O. only applies to ammo not components.  Either the Russian ammo manufacturers will sell the ammo that no longer will be imported into the US to other customers at prices that undercuts their competitors or they will sell components to ammo mfg's outside of Russia.  This could be good for us reloaders.

Natchezss.com has Federal Large Pistol Magnum primers in stock for $86/1,000 limit of 10 boxes of 1,000.  

Bad news: a local shooter reported his order was rejected at the final confirmation.

6 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Natchezss.com has Federal Large Pistol Magnum primers in stock for $86/1,000 limit of 10 boxes of 1,000.  

Bad news: a local shooter reported his order was rejected at the final confirmation.

Just ordered Fed 150s from Natchez.  The order went through and received confirmation.   The $86 price is for Magnum primers.  The 150s are $78/1000 plus shipping, tax and hazmat.  Not cheap, but there it is.

4 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Just ordered Fed 150s from Natchez.  The order went through and received confirmation.   The $86 price is for Magnum primers.  The 150s are $78/1000 plus shipping, tax and hazmat.  Not cheap, but there it is.

Yep I just snagged 2k of the 150s.

I simply am not buying any reloading items until the insanely high prices come down...period! 

If any of them think I will...then they are crazier than I was that dry year. 

I have a supply of flints, powder, and lead round, and minie, bullets, and plenty of old shirts for patching...for my flintlocks, so I will wait patently. It's bad enough to help finance my doctor's rolls royce, I don't intend to finance the sporting goods folks their new bass boats. 

Wholesale prices are up for the suppliers too...yes...I understand that. At some point-in-time, the supply will come closer to demand, and prices will decrease...maybe. At that point, I will consider buying reloading components, but that time, for me, is not here yet....not by a long shot (pardon the pun). 

Yes, I have an advantage over the sellers of the ammunition, and reloading components. They have to purchase the items at high prices, if they can find them to purchase...so they can try to sell them to stay in business. They have little choice in the matter, and I am sorry for them.

But...

I do have a choice, and I simply do not have the funds to pay the high prices for those things. I can wait. 

If you can't wait, then go for it willie. It's your decision, as well as it is mine. 

Many think it will be sometime in late 2022, or '23, before this mess is better. Maybe....unless another "crisis" is created, to send us back to empty shelves, and insanely high prices. 

Time will tell.

(don't really know what the difference is) between regular and MATCH primers

There is no power difference between regular and Match primers.  Match primers have been stated by all the companies that make primers to simply have a higher level of quality assurance done on the primers before they are packed.  Like, one more examination that there is a pellet and an anvil in each primer.

So, more than a penny apiece more for Match primers doesn't seem wise to pay, in NORMAL MARKET CONDITIONS.

good luck, GJ

Archived