SASS Wire Forum

The Hateful Eight & The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Buckshot Bear

Saturday Night double header last night!

The Hateful Eight & The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Two completely different movies and both really enjoyable.  The Hateful Eight was definitely a Quentin Tarantino production! And the Ballad of Buster Scruggs was definitely a Coen Brothers production!

A great fun Saturday night with Chinese take away!

Buster Scruggs was wild and strange, but had so much good stuff in it. My favorite was the Mr. Pocket gold miner story with Tom Waits; a straightforward and faithful adaptation of an old Jack London story.

The Coens are something else. They have made some truly great stuff.

9 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Buster Scruggs was wild and strange, but had so much good stuff in it. My favorite was the Mr. Pocket gold miner story with Tom Waits; a straightforward and faithful adaptation of an old Jack London story.

The Coens are something else. They have made some truly great stuff.

Could have kept watching Buster Scruggs......in the first story when he put his foot repeatedly on the table and made the card player keep shooting himself in the head was hilarious!

Liam Neeson's part was pretty dark.

“Pan Shot!” That old guy had some nerve. I had to laugh at that one. 

The Hateful Eight was okay. I hate being “that guy” but when those empties were dumped on the floor from that revolver and there were what appeared to be a couple 38-40 cases and some .45 Colt cases landing on the floor from the same gun all I could do was shake my head. 
It was an okay movie but I probably won’t watch it again. Quentin’s modus  operandi schtick is getting a little old. 

Now the Ballad of Buster Scruggs? I will definitely see that again. :D

38 minutes ago, Solomon Kane 18264 said:

I liked the Ballad of Buster Scruggs, but not The Hateful Eight. Tarantino movies seem to have too much violence against women for my taste. 
Maybe I’m too old fashioned but I don’t care much for that sort of thing. 

Produced by Weinstein

2 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Could have kept watching Buster Scruggs......in the first story when he put his foot repeatedly on the table and made the card player keep shooting himself in the head was hilarious!

Liam Neeson's part was pretty dark.

Oh my word...I laughed AND kept turning my head in that scene!!!

That was an odd movie, for sure.

Never watched the other one.

29 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Oh my word...I laughed AND kept turning my head in that scene!!!

That was an odd movie, for sure.

Never watched the other one.

Singin' Sue I had to replay that 3-4 times :)

As Soloman Kane mentioned above, the Hateful Eight was pretty violent.

I wish there'd been more chapters in Buster Scruggs.....great movie!

I loved the old, gold miner ( Tom W) segment of Buster Scruggs. And, Tim Blake Nelson is the most underrated actor working today.

Hateful Eight is three hours of my life I wish I could have back. Unfortunately I kept watching it hoping it would get better but it never did...

7 hours ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

I loved the old, gold miner ( Tom W) segment of Buster Scruggs. And, Tim Blake Nelson is the most underrated actor working today.

That chapter was a direct adaptation of a Jack London short story, 'All Gold Canyon" and they did a great job of it. I understand that one other chapter "The Gal Who Got Rattled" was based on an old Western short story, too, though I haven't read that one. That was a sad one.

Archived