SASS Wire Forum

Behind the scenes at Dover Air Force Base...

Sixgun Sheridan

It's an older article I found, but worth sharing especially in these times...

284531A0-5108-4137-A1E9-F494B6CF608C.jpeg.51286a3de5322e212424f0639426720b.jpeg

This is a picture the military has never let anyone see until now.

This is a picture behind the scenes at Dover Air Force Base where the bodies of fallen soldiers are prepared for burial.

And that includes being properly dressed, all the way down to the smallest detail.

In this picture Staff Sgt. Miguel Deynes is making sure the uniform is just right for an army pilot recently killed in Afghanistan.

There is a very specific process once a fallen soldier is returned home.

The bodies are flown back to the U.S. on a cargo jet.
A team of service members wearing white gloves carries the coffins, covered with flags, to a white van that takes them to the Armed Forces Medical Examiner.

The remains are washed, the hands are scrubbed clean, and the hair is shampooed. If necessary bones are wired together and damaged tissue is reconstructed with flesh-toned wax.

Sometimes they will use photos, sometimes just intuition to recreate the wrinkles in faces, and the lines around the mouth or the corner of the eyes.

“It has to look normal, like someone who is sleeping.”

Once the body is ready then the uniform is prepared.
That includes putting medals in the proper order on the ribbon rack above the jacket’s breast pocket.

During the height of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan 10 to 20 bodies were arriving every day.

The embalmers often worked all night to get the bodies home on time. That can take an emotional toll so the mortuary has a large gym so workers can blow off steam.

Many say they are haunted by how young the fallen soldiers are, and by how many of them leave behind small children.

That’s why Sgt. Deynes says they are advised not to do research into the backgrounds of the soldiers.

“If I knew the story of every individual who went through here, I would probably be in a padded cell.”

The dress uniform being prepared in this particular case will be in a closed casket.

Even so, it will be perfectly tailored, starched and pressed. Everything will be checked down to the last detail.

Sgt. Deynes says, “They’re (the family) not going to see it. I do it for myself. It’s more than an honor. It’s a blessing to dress that soldier for the last time.”

This story was reported by James Dao of the New York Times.
The picture is by Ashley Gilbertson.

Ever see the movie Taking Chance with Kevin Bacon?

Wow. It shows what you're talking about. Heart wrenching. But needed.

20 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

This is what we get at Dover now-a-days.

joe-biden-21-1.jpg

Disgusting. Beyond sickening. Did I mention disgusting? 

7 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

These people should receive at least a DCM and a promotion.  Plus, they may need some psychiatric councilling.

My Mom was a Navy Pharmacist's Mate during WWII.  Part of her duties included receiving, identifying and fingerprinting the dead as they arrived home.  Dad, who served on a Mine Sweeper in the North Atlantic and at Normandy, always said that she should have gotten a medal for that work.

LL

11 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

joe-biden-21-1.jpg

What is not told is that wears his son's rosary under the watch guys.

20 minutes ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

Would a previous president be given that benefit of doubt by the media? Not even close.

I am not Biden lover, but how can you trust someone who LIED so much during his term of office? I took everything he said with a grain of salt. (I am a lifelong Republican who is now an Independent).

1 hour ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

What is not told is that wears his son's rosary under the watch guys.

That story has been pretty much debunked.

34 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

I am not Biden lover, but how can you trust someone who LIED so much during his term of office? I took everything he said with a grain of salt. (I am a lifelong Republican who is now an Independent).

That only makes sense if you're claiming that Biden tells the truth and because of that he has earned being given the benefit of doubt. Who lied more, the left and their phony, one sided investigations, or you know who. The left couldn't handle the truth.  

1 hour ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

A lot of his"lies" were exaggeration and hyperbole.  Or inventions of the press by creative editing of his words.  I hate his speaking style, but at least he didn't talk like a politician.  That was his downfall, he didn't fit the system's stereotype of what a politician is supposed to sound like.

34 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

A lot of his"lies" were exaggeration and hyperbole.  Or inventions of the press by creative editing of his words.  I hate his speaking style, but at least he didn't talk like a politician.  That was his downfall, he didn't fit the system's stereotype of what a politician is supposed to sound like.

Far too many of what the media referred to as 'lies' were easy to reveal as media constructs, if one took a little time to dig around a little bit instead of just accepting media hyperventilation at face value.

There are plenty of people who think a bit of self-promoting braggadocio ("The crowd at my inauguration was the largest ever.") carries every bit as much weight as intentional political deceptions ("If you like your health care plan, you can keep your health care plan," or "Any American who wants to come home, we will get you home.").

If a conservative is speaking and what he says is 99% true and 1% hyperole the press reports it as a 100% lie.  If a liberal is speaking and says something that is 99% lie and 1% hyperbole they report it as 100% true.  I have seen photos of Biden when he is wearig the rosary.  It is very obvious in the photos.  If he were wearing it at the Dover ceremony ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, MSNBC, CNBC and every other liberal leaning media outlet would have reported it and shown photos.  None did and several have belatedly admitted he was not wearing it.

42 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Exaggeration or hyperbole, if it's not the truth, then it is a lie.

An exaggeration & hyperbole are built around a truth.  A lie is neither.  Recent example, Dementia Joe telling a Jewish group of his trip to the Tree of Life synagogue after the mass shooting there.  This when it is documented that he never has stepped foot on the property.

The families that have spoken to the press about the event besides being offended by Joe looking at his watch, they were offended by Joe injecting himself in their grief by his me-to-ism talking about his loss of son Beau to brain cancer. 

15 minutes ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

Far too many of what the media referred to as 'lies' were easy to reveal as media constructs, if one took a little time to dig around a little bit instead of just accepting media hyperventilation at face value.

There are plenty of people who think a bit of self-promoting braggadocio ("The crowd at my inauguration was the largest ever.") carries every bit as much weight as intentional political deceptions ("If you like your health care plan, you can keep your health care plan," or "Any American who wants to come home, we will get you home.").

Nobody is hurt by the former where the latter adversely affected thousands & hundreds. 

15 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

joe-biden-21-1.jpg

I'm more curious about whether these folks know where their heart is located...  :huh:  :rolleyes: 

Well, perhaps they're anatomical anomalies.  :ph34r:

You  guys really think the "conservatives" didn't spend MILLIONS on worthless investigations that went absolutely NOWHERE??

The only time the previous guy WASN'T Lying was when his mouth was shut and fingers no where near a keyboard.  Get over yourselves.

24 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

You  guys really think the "conservatives" didn't spend MILLIONS on worthless investigations that went absolutely NOWHERE??

I'm certain they did.

24 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

The only time the previous guy WASN'T Lying was when his mouth was shut and fingers no where near a keyboard.  Get over yourselves.

I still prefer the previous liar in chief to the current liar in chief.

On 9/3/2021 at 6:09 PM, Sixgun Sheridan said:

It's an older article I found, but worth sharing especially in these times...

284531A0-5108-4137-A1E9-F494B6CF608C.jpeg.51286a3de5322e212424f0639426720b.jpeg

This is a picture the military has never let anyone see until now.

This is a picture behind the scenes at Dover Air Force Base where the bodies of fallen soldiers are prepared for burial.

And that includes being properly dressed, all the way down to the smallest detail.

In this picture Staff Sgt. Miguel Deynes is making sure the uniform is just right for an army pilot recently killed in Afghanistan.

There is a very specific process once a fallen soldier is returned home.

The bodies are flown back to the U.S. on a cargo jet.
A team of service members wearing white gloves carries the coffins, covered with flags, to a white van that takes them to the Armed Forces Medical Examiner.

The remains are washed, the hands are scrubbed clean, and the hair is shampooed. If necessary bones are wired together and damaged tissue is reconstructed with flesh-toned wax.

Sometimes they will use photos, sometimes just intuition to recreate the wrinkles in faces, and the lines around the mouth or the corner of the eyes.

“It has to look normal, like someone who is sleeping.”

Once the body is ready then the uniform is prepared.
That includes putting medals in the proper order on the ribbon rack above the jacket’s breast pocket.

During the height of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan 10 to 20 bodies were arriving every day.

The embalmers often worked all night to get the bodies home on time. That can take an emotional toll so the mortuary has a large gym so workers can blow off steam.

Many say they are haunted by how young the fallen soldiers are, and by how many of them leave behind small children.

That’s why Sgt. Deynes says they are advised not to do research into the backgrounds of the soldiers.

“If I knew the story of every individual who went through here, I would probably be in a padded cell.”

The dress uniform being prepared in this particular case will be in a closed casket.

Even so, it will be perfectly tailored, starched and pressed. Everything will be checked down to the last detail.

Sgt. Deynes says, “They’re (the family) not going to see it. I do it for myself. It’s more than an honor. It’s a blessing to dress that soldier for the last time.”

This story was reported by James Dao of the New York Times.
The picture is by Ashley Gilbertson.

Thank you

1 hour ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Please don't turn this thread into a political rant, guys. It's about those who honor the ones who made the Ultimate Sacrifice. We can talk about the Idiot-in-Chief another day.

You’re right, of course. My apologies for chasing that rabbit. 

Issues about the president don’t need to be brought out here. 

Archived