SASS Wire Forum

Going shooting tomorrow

Creeker, SASS #43022

Well...

The day has come - after 30+ days of Covid and sloooow recovery process - I'm going to give shooting a try tomorrow.

The last time I shot was Cowtown in Phoenix. 

Shot pretty well against some really good shooters.

I really have my doubts about replicating that tomorrow.

If I am able, strength or stamina wise to finish the match (much less perform at any level of competence) - I will be wholly surprised.

But regardless of my performance - I'll get to spend time in the sun with my shooting partners, my friends, my fantastic daughter and my loving wife.

And thats more than I thought might be possible again.

I'll let you know how the day goes.

Best of luck to you! I am just getting over a bout with the China Bug myself. Looking forward to shooting on the 11th and seeing my friends again too.

Good luck, hope you do well tomorrow. We will be shooting tomorrow also, I will be shooting Josey Wales for the first time in nearly a year. Its fun and Im not real fast, Did I mention it's fun?

Imis

Was going to try to get out to Wartrace tomorrow.  Haven’t fired a cowboy gun in competition in over two years.

Looking like obligations will get in the way!!  My grandson is here for the weekend, I’ve got to pick up a part for one of my projects before the guy that has it leaves town for a couple of weeks, and I’ve gotta get meds for my continued recovery.

Take your time and your finished for the day when your ready.  Shot last week in my first match in over 3 months due to a shoulder injury and hip replacement.  Wished I had stopped earlier.   Went home and laid down on the floor for 30 or 40 minutes.  I am thankful my wife unpacked the truck for me.  You have  been through a great deal of trauma based on your experience.  Thanks for sharing your experience with us and I wish you the best of luck.

11pm Friday Night Update:

My usual night before the shoot checklist (anything I do tonight - I dont have to at 6am) move hats and leather to the car.

Pull enough shotgun shells and 100 round ammo boxes to get through the match.

Load the gun cart into the rear storage of my car...

I can't do it.

I can't lift my stupid cart two foot up into the car.

Now admittedly - my cart is a 6 gun all steel cart and it is heavy - but it is like it is magnetized to the ground.

Painted Lady offered to help me get it in there and there would be plenty of help at the range to get it out.

But this just kind of reminded me exactly where I'm at - my brain is telling me how much better I am and then my body makes a liar out of me.

So I think I'm going to bring the leather and hats back inside the house and put off my shooting return for a little while longer

Thank you to everyone for your kind words and support - and I apologize for a thread that ended up going nowhere.

It's a slow process. Some of us have been where you are now, perhaps for slightly different reasons. As long as your heart is in it and we all know yours definitely is you'll be back and going strong again. All the best to you, Creeker. 

8 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

11pm Friday Night Update:

My usual night before the shoot checklist (anything I do tonight - I dont have to at 6am) move hats and leather to the car.

Pull enough shotgun shells and 100 round ammo boxes to get through the match.

Load the gun cart into the rear storage of my car...

I can't do it.

I can't lift my stupid cart two foot up into the car.

Now admittedly - my cart is a 6 gun all steel cart and it is heavy - but it is like it is magnetized to the ground.

Painted Lady offered to help me get it in there and there would be plenty of help at the range to get it out.

But this just kind of reminded me exactly where I'm at - my brain is telling me how much better I am and then my body makes a liar out of me.

So I think I'm going to bring the leather and hats back inside the house and put off my shooting return for a little while longer

Thank you to everyone for your kind words and support - and I apologize for a thread that ended up going nowhere.

You could still go and visit with folks 

OLG 

After breaking my neck and back in 2003 I had to relearn a lot of things myself. Pace yourself, you might need to get a lighter cart.

17 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

No apologies needed...a man's got to know his limitations.

LL

I went to bed last night allowing my limitations control over me (because of the challenge with lifting the cart I felt I was going to fail and gave up completely) and then I got up this morning and looked in the mirror. 

I didn't like who I saw. 

I saw a hypocrite.

Someone who has told his daughter to gut it out.

Told his grandson to shake it off.

If I am going to know my limitations - I have to push against those limits.

The Eldorado Cowboys shoot Sat and Sun.

The guncart is in the car for tomorrow morning.

My limits will not be found sitting in front of the TV.

Bear with me tomorrow afternoon - when Im telling what a mistake I made.

Most of the things we tell someone to "gut it out" or "man up" have to do with mental or emotional issues. Or a minor injury, pulled muscle. Something like this is much bigger then that. Eventually, sure, you have to start testing out your stamina, but don't over do it. Stop before you have to.

This ^^^^.   Exhaustion will retard the healing process. Go home when you know it's time.

Apparently my limit is two stages.

I think I could have done another one or maybe even two - but I was out voted by Painted Lady.

When I asked how that worked with a 1 to 1 tally - I was informed that she had a vote and I did not.  So it was 1 to zero.

I shot ok; clean thru two stages - no fumbles that I can attribute to anything beyond rust - based on the other shooters present and comparing - I was about 3-4 seconds off my expected pace.

I was a lousy posse member as I failed to perform any posse duties beyond spotting sitting at a picnic table under cover - breaking all the spotter rules we harp on others about.

I am still unable to take full breaths and trying deliberate deep breathing to fill my lungs at the loading table (my usual pre shoot prepping procedure) brought some sharp pains.

Two position - 23 second stages had me working pretty hard at the unloading table to catch my wind.

So thank you everybody for your prayers, kind words and thoughts.

Ill unpack the car and see how the rest of the day and week progess.

Afterall Nevada Rangers shoots next weekend.

Howdy JEDI Creeker.

Your recovery and 1st match sorta mirror mine after my heart surgery and being idle for about 7-8 months.

Shot 5 stages with just rifle and pistols.  No SG.

Felt o.k. and only had 1 miss.

THEN..... on the 1 1/2 hour drive home (Slater was driving) I felt the physical aftermath BEFORE we even

left the range property.   Whew, I was totally wiped out of energy.

Since then, been to only 1 match, which was last month.   It didn't effect me much

but a bad allergy and sinus infection has sidelined me again.   I will be totally out of sync with myself

at the TN State in October, but I still plan to attend and have fun.

I won't get involved in any side matches and I plan to take it easy during the main match.   Heck, I'll

just be happy to shoot again and hang out with friends.

Take care of yeowndangself and let everything heal correctly.  The game will still be there when you're 

ready to play again.

..........Widder

Heal...make your goal 3 stages next match. Then 4, etc. I had a mild case of this garbage and am wondering how I will do my first match back this Saturday.

36 minutes ago, Yusta B. said:

Listen to that lady - she sounds very wise......

Shes smarter than me...

Of course that doesn't set the bar too high.

But I guess she had a point - as we were leaving the range; she requested breakfast at one of my favorite places which is on our way home.

I fell asleep at the table between ordering and the waitress returning with our food.

41 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Shes smarter than me...

Of course that doesn't set the bar too high.

But I guess she had a point - as we were leaving the range; she requested breakfast at one of my favorite places which is on our way home.

I fell asleep at the table between ordering and the waitress returning with our food.

Sounds like you just ain't ready yet.  Give it some time.  Recovery isn't going to come quick.

Take your time Creeker. Your body will let you know. Listen to it (and Painted Lady, because she knows when you are not listening to it!)

I was proud to see you out this morning and giving it a go. Stop beating your self up and let it all happen. I am pretty sure that everyone was just glad to see you out doing your best at what you enjoy doing. There is so much understanding amongst the cowboys everywhere I have ever shot. It is no different right here at home. Other than the lack of stamina that you were suffering from, You shot well and preformed well. As others have said here Creeker, set some goals. Next time try for three. We will all be there to help you through it so the next time you can stay for four! It will come back as long as you keep trying to reach for it. Recovering form these sorta things is like running a 5k marathon. You dont just wake up one morning and go run one. You have to run up and down the street a few times. Then work your way around the corner a few times, then then the block. From there you keep expanding. All the while, know when to quit and try again tomorrow. But the next time try for a few more houses than the last time. Believe me, it will come back. A positive mind is a powerfull tool!

Anyhow, it was good to see you out, and I hope to see you out again soon.

7 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

When I asked how that worked with a 1 to 1 tally - I was informed that she had a vote and I did not.  So it was 1 to zero.

Ah, yes.  I've been outvoted by my loving wife 1 to 1 many times.  :wub::D

Take care, take it easy, and hang in there.

Regards,

Jackalope

we have several cowfolk who only shoot a couple of stages before their body tries to cash the check their mind wrote--and the account is empty

Revel in you success at the stages you shot.  Embrace the fact you got to and from the range without hitting a goat.  Be humbled that your wife is looking out for you (mine is in the backyard digging a hole 6x6x3' right now for some reason)

It's all in how you look at it.

Covid messed up my immune system, which led to an infection that put me in the hospital for almost two weeks back in February.  I'm still not back where I was, and I'm beginning to wonder if I ever will be.  There isn't one big issue, but lots of things that are messed up--energy, strength, balance, and fumble-itis. So accept that it's going to take a while, and don't overdo it. 

Creeker I think it is a good thing to share your experience with COVID. A lot of folks don’t understand the toll this thing takes on your body and your mind. Having had COVID and struggled with returning to normal activities like working out, shooting, doing chores around the range and the house, I can tell you that road back can be slow but you can get there.

1 hour ago, Marshal TKD, Sass # 36984L said:

Creeker I think it is a good thing to share your experience with COVID. A lot of folks don’t understand the toll this thing takes on your body and your mind. Having had COVID and struggled with returning to normal activities like working out, shooting, doing chores around the range and the house, I can tell you that road back can be slow but you can get there.

As I told my big brother - there is nothing worse than a converted true believer.

I was in the camp that originally believed Covid was nothing more than another nasty flu bug.

Im a big, strong, healthy guy.

What do I have to worry about?

These things only kill old sick people - folks that already have one foot in the grave.

Because that was all I was seeing being affected and the media was telling me the opposite - that every death was suddenly a Covid death.  And I knew better than that.

As is the case in many things - what I didnt know got me.

I got sick, really sick - I have two weeks of being sick that I have zero recollection of.

If not for the constant care and efforts of my wife and big brother.

I have zero doubt that I would be dead.

I had moments where my wife is checking o2 and strapping the oxygen to my face where I was asking her to leave me be - I just want to rest.  To go away.

Coughing, cannot breath, every muscle and fiber of your body hurts.

Cannot eat, drinking is a chore and anything that does go down is coming up shortly.  Puking in sick bags because you cannot get to a bucket - much less make it to the toilet.

Burning up sweating and freezing in the same moment.

And then the fun begins - your mind starts to betray you.

Words and meanings that should be second nature are hidden behind fog and stuttering.

You are exhausted before you brush your teeth.  

And if you improve - the pain and fog combine with weakness and lack of stamina - which grows your anger and frustration.

And in my case guilt - I still cannot do a number of things.  I look "ok" and can interact - but Im not able to do the things I need to do.

I shot two stages Sunday and fell asleep in the restaurant.

I have obligations to my wife, my family, my businesses and my employees that I cannot fulfill.  And I dont know when I will be able to.

I was not prepared to be sick - to be weak - to be stupid.

I wasn't prepared to leave my friends, my family.

I wasnt prepared to die.

I was lucky.

I got involved in a medical study; received certain treatments.

I have a good income not dependent on going to work everyday.

I have a loving wife and support system that would not allow me to give up.

And fortunately I am still here; when many are not.

I admit these things for the sole reason of maybe saving one person from being in the same position.

Because maybe they dont have income.

Support.

Luck.

And maybe they die because they think they know the truth about Covid.

Its real.

It kills.

And it destroys.

If my journey doesnt convince somebody tonprotect themselves and their loved ones from this horror then I hope they are better prepared than me.

Well, you did it! Took that one step back to being on the line and competing. Did it go well? You may say no; two stages, fell asleep at restaurant...

But I say it was a rousing success! You took steps in the right direction and it was tough, but you did it. After what you've been through, any steps back to shooting, I say, is a success. Now regroup, take a look at what happened (even if you have to back up a step or two) and move on to the next step forward. Well done!

Most recoveries are not easy; slow and steady. You'll get there. Sounds like you have the support you need... now support yourself. (no beating up thyself).

Take care.

Creeker,

It's good to hear you are working your way back to shooting. Take your time, you'll be back before you know it. Best of luck in your process.

Jax T

Archived