SASS Wire Forum

Hunting rangefinders

Clay Thornton

Several descent consumer ones now available. SIG and Leica are probably among the best. The way they are rated you need at least twice the rated range for deer. Need 1000yd+ rated for 500yd on a deer. 

^^^^ what he said.  Good rule of thumb -- effective working distance is half of rated effective range.  And consider how hard it will be to hold the crosshair in the rangefinder steady on a deer size target at 500 yards while pushing the button.  I actually never use mine to range animals themselves -- which are usually walking.  If still hunting, once I'm set up, I range the trees out to my maximum comfort zone and make a mental map of distance rings around me using specific trees as ring distances.  If I'm stalking, I look for big tree trunks or boulders nearest to the quarry, range them, and hope for the best.

They are not top of the line but I've had good luck using Bushnell.

I've been around other ones enough to know the actual range that they will cover is below the stated yardage.

Just like a rating on house shingles, if you get 80 or 85% out of a 25 year shingle your doing good.

I have a Leica that works well. Will range out to 1000 yards. Has to be held really steady though. I use a light weight tripod or a monopod. Built a base out of some scrap aluminum plate that allows me to strap it into place.

Howdy,

Good ideas there. 

A  monopod really helps and lightweight.

Nikon 800 yd waterproof works for me but I dont shoot 

deer at 500 yards. 

Some rangefinders are complicated I like simple.

And you will pay for each feature, be sure you want those features.

Take a spare battery too.

Price around 100 to 160.

Best

CR

I have been using a range finder for years. I have a ballistic turret on my Leupold scope that is setup to match my handloads. It goes out to 1000 yards (I don't shoot that far, my limit is around 400 yards depending on conditions), so I want to know the distance to adjust the turret to match it. 

I have a set of Swarovski binocular range finder combination. I only have one instrument to deal with and it is awesome. When I am glassing and see an animal I want to take, press the button and it's distance shows up instantly. 

Several years ago I shot an antelope in Wyoming that was 590 yards from me. Ranged it, set the turret to 590 and one shot, dead antelope.

Archived