SASS Wire Forum

WTB 3rd Gen Colt hand for my New Frontier

Just asking.  What's wrong with the original hand? 

You may be further ahead by repairing the original. 

Here is a picture of the springs out of a Colt second generation that has a really nice action. Note the dent across the middle of the hand.  It was put there to stretch it longer to compensate for wear. Stretching the hand by this method is an acceptable repair. 

1393744487_ColtSAAantiquedspringsFeb2020.jpg.82a82fc7b689c458ca4d125004b00e22.jpg

It appears that the spring broke on it. I say that because the hand doesn’t move the cylinder or “peak” out of the frame. As for Numrich they are out of stock and EBay has one for $39 that doesn’t look exactly correct and another for $79. Not sure if the spring is broke that I could find one to replace it. But that is a good idea and I will consider. 

43 minutes ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

It appears that the spring broke on it. I say that because the hand doesn’t move the cylinder or “peak” out of the frame. As for Numrich they are out of stock and EBay has one for $39 that doesn’t look exactly correct and another for $79. Not sure if the spring is broke that I could find one to replace it. But that is a good idea and I will consider. 

I seen a whole nest of spring on EBay just recently.  Must have sold them all.

Can you take the gun apart to find out for sure?

You can test spring failure if you point gun down and it will cock, it probably has a broken spring.

You're probably better off repairing the old hand with new spring because any replacement would likely need fitting. 

Ok. Thanks for the insight the gun does cock so I would agree with you on that. Not sure where I would get the spring replacement but I will look for that and that nice big book on Colt revolver disassembly. Thanks. 

Here is a video where I reduced the power of the hand spring.  Not much of a help with replacing the spring but gives you an idea of what the parts look like.

The book I reference:  Maybe shop around. 

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1014291126?pid=133799

Archived