SASS Wire Forum

Behind a Combine

Subdeacon Joe

Found on FB

I see you. Not the flashing lights or the giant tires. I see the farmer. I see you looking back every three seconds, trying to get over because I’ve been following you for three km and you worry I’m getting angry and impatient. I see you look back twice as fast because the oncoming traffic is gone but we’re coming up on a intersection and you hope I know that. You hope I know there’s already two crosses on the SW corner of that 4 way because the car in front of me didn’t and they flew by you right in the middle of it. Well I see you, and I see the standing water in the fields and I see it’s quarter to 7 and you’re still at work while I’m on my way home to see my family on a Friday night. You're not in my way; I’m in the middle of your office and your work and your livelihood. I’ll follow you all the way home, I don’t mind.    It gives me time to slow down and breathe. Everyone can benefit from a few minutes spent behind that combine.

off-loaded many a rice combine while in high school. 

nothing like sitting on the tractor in front of an auger wagon in the middle of a semi-flooded field at high noon in South Texas . . . without shade or any breeze . . . figuring out how you'll spend the $10 you'll make that day for 10-11 hours of work

. . . and dang happy to have the job :)

I recall following a combine. It was in Ohio. I was on a touring bicycle carrying maybe 30 lbs of gear, going from New Hampshire to Wisconsin. It was on one of the county roads, dead straight and flat for a mile to the next intersection. I slowed down to his speed and kind of relaxed for half a mile.

I needed water. I saw a young woman with a horse grazing on the front lawn. I asked if I could get some water. I was invited into the house. Got water, apple cobbler, coffee.

I spent yesterday afternoon on the tractor bush hogging the front field. I got about a 1/3 of it done. I am certain that low limb I hit was rotten, but it broke the exhaust pipe off where the cast iron had been welded. ( Ordered a new part this morning, 2 week delivery). Went to remove the Bush Hog mower and the PTO locking pin was missing ( I put a new one on last year), bought a new one this afternoon. The field had not been mowed for 3 years when I mowed it last year, but with all the rain this year it was twice as thick and overgrown as last year. Hoping to finish it next week. Since it is a bit cooler ( Low 80's, upper 70's) Mowing is a bit on the relaxing side. (providing nothing else breaks while running my Case 211b (1958) the the Bush hog mower grandpa bought in 1964.

Case 211b.JPG

Rode three or four miles behind a tractor with a batwing bush hog attached yesterday.  I was on my Road King.  20 to 25 mph on a winding curvy road.  No issue with the guy driving, but I was glad when I could get around him.  

Drove a combine in Montana for a short time.Sent 2 of us down to Spearman Texas.Waited around for Maze havestbut was going to be a while so we hopped a bus back up to Montana.Worked on a ranch for a while & then got my invite letter from Uncle Sam.

Largo

My life experiences behind combines and tractors have usually been pleasant except for this one butthole in Oregon that purposely pulled out in front of me THREE times when there was no one behind me and I was on my bike. He would be leaving one field to roll up the road to another. He did not stop but did look right at me and just pulled out. The first time I damn rear ended him and that thing with metal fingers sticking out of it in the back (I do not need to know what that might be so don’t assume I need educated) 

The second time I expected it. 
The third time I went around and stopped in front of him. 
We had words. There were threats made. He started to climb down, perhaps thinking I would run. I didn’t. He climbed back into his cab and sat there. I got on my bike and left. 

I found out he was the new owner of that farm. I found out the neighbors thought he was an ass. 
The next Spring I was headed home and he was in this big tractor. He started to pull out onto the highway but stopped. I waved as I went by. He waved back. Happy ending. 

8 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Patina, son...patina.  Not rust.  Honest wear and patina.

LL

Sweat will do that to paint and metal...  ;)

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

neighbors thought he was an ass. 
The next Spring I was headed home and he was in this big tractor. He started to pull out onto the highway but stopped. I waved as I went by. He waved back. Happy

Sounds as if someone explained to him the facts of life.

15 hours ago, Maddog McCoy SASS #5672 said:

I spent yesterday afternoon on the tractor bush hogging the front field. I got about a 1/3 of it done. I am certain that low limb I hit was rotten, but it broke the exhaust pipe off where the cast iron had been welded. ( Ordered a new part this morning, 2 week delivery). Went to remove the Bush Hog mower and the PTO locking pin was missing ( I put a new one on last year), bought a new one this afternoon. The field had not been mowed for 3 years when I mowed it last year, but with all the rain this year it was twice as thick and overgrown as last year. Hoping to finish it next week. Since it is a bit cooler ( Low 80's, upper 70's) Mowing is a bit on the relaxing side. (providing nothing else breaks while running my Case 211b (1958) the the Bush hog mower grandpa bought in 1964.

Case 211b.JPG

We shoot big deer in fields like that. 

11 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Patina, son...patina.  Not rust.  Honest wear and patina.

LL

3 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Sweat will do that to paint and metal...  ;)

............................ so will blood ....   :(

5 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

We shoot big deer in fields like that. 

The big deer are in the front yard or standing in front of my practice target in the back yard most of the time. I counted 15 of them last fall in slingshot range and I walked out the back door and they just looked at me like they owned the place. Then they went back to eating pears under the pear tree.

Archived