SASS Wire Forum

Recieved My Garand from CMP

J.D. Daily

It is a restocked 1943 vintage Springfield Armory Garand.  It will look great hanging on my office wall above a 1943 vintage Inland M1 Carbine.  The Lee 30-06 dies & case length gauge arrived today.  Just ordered ammo & "The M1 Garand: WWII" by Scott Duff from CMP.  While surplus Turkish is 50% cheaper Forgotten Weapons warns about the state of Turkish surplus ammo.  Something about how it is penny wise & pound foolish to use the stuff in expensive machine guns let alone vintage rifles.  His recommendation is use the Turkish surplus for reloading brass & bullets.  Fertilize your garden with the powder & deactivate the primers by soaking in oil.

Garand-3.thumb.jpg.f29371a2c8e125c86ee67971750d116c.jpg

Save the hang tag. As I was waiting for my CMP Garand I found out that the tag is part of the collector value. It seems weird but who am I to argue?

J. D., when did you order this fine-looking rifle?  :)

I have a family member who sent in his money for an IHC about six months ago... still waiting.

I wish they'd had those swell cases when I got mine 30+ years ago!  :lol:

Very nice, JD. Do ya think you could burn a few more electrons and take a couple more photos and post them? You haven’t created a scene here unless someone shorts out their keyboard with drool. ;)

I haven't looked for .30-06 ammo, especially military for a long time, but if you come across any U.S. mil-spec, be sure the headstamps are 1953 or later, or you will need to clean it with stuff that will neutralize the corrosive primers.  TW54 Ball was some great stuff! Very accurate, and non-corrosive.  Beautiful piece. But M-1 Rifles just have to be shot! Otherwise it will ruin their self-esteme! ;)

My neighbor just got his ass well. His stock is nice, but looks original with some digs and scratches. Still pretty nice however. His is a Springfield from 1945 supposedly. Nice rifle for $750, the receiver looks hardly used at all. He said the bolt is not the original.

Word to the wise, keep all the paperwork and stuff that came with it from CMP it adds to the value if you were ever to sell it.

I own two I had one converted to .308 great guns. 

Enjoy, Pard

Mine was bought by my father back in the 1960s from a gun shop in Ohio that specialized in surplus firearms. 1943 Winchester receiver, the rest all Springfield. It's been sidelined because I can't find any cheap M2 ball ammo. I did buy a case of PPU one time, but it's nearly gone.

On 9/2/2021 at 11:02 PM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

J. D., when did you order this fine-looking rifle?  :)

I have a family member who sent in his money for an IHC about six months ago... still waiting.

I wish they'd had those swell cases when I got mine 30+ years ago!  :lol:

I couldn't find a copy of the order I my office.  I believe it was 4 months ago.  It may be that you're family member ordered an IHC.

12 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Mine was bought by my father back in the 1960s from a gun shop in Ohio that specialized in surplus firearms. 1943 Winchester receiver, the rest all Springfield. It's been sidelined because I can't find any cheap M2 ball ammo. I did buy a case of PPU one time, but it's nearly gone.

Stay away from the Turkish mil-surp M2 Ball.  If you are familiar with InRangeTV a post on the site warns of the damage other calibers of Turkish mil-surp has done to expensive vintage machine guns.  Ammoseek has Turkish at as low as $1 a pop.  Reloads for $1.35 however, there is no indication that it is safe in a Garand with stock gas plug.  S&B M1 ammo is $2.00 at J&G sales.  Unless you plan of rolling your own or buying the commercial loadings recommended by the CMP get a gas plug that limits the gas pressure on the gas piston to a safe level for the Garand's op rod.

On 9/3/2021 at 5:02 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Very nice, JD. Do ya think you could burn a few more electrons and take a couple more photos and post them? You haven’t created a scene here unless someone shorts out their keyboard with drool. ;)

I would have posted about how nice it was yesterday but The drool messed up my keyboard. :P

Archived