SASS Wire Forum

ABBA is getting together for the first time in 45 years.  They have a new album and lots of old hits.  But, they are getting a little old.  So they spent hours doing motion capture and will appear in their concerts as holograms.  There is already a huge venue in London built to house the concerts.  It is built on one of the London Olympic venues.

image-abba-mo-cap-suits-landscape-credit-baillie-walsh-.jpg

image-abba-digital-portrait-credit-industrial-light-magic-.jpg

No thanks. 

I prefer to remember bands, musicians and singers as they were when they became famous or played great music. I have no desire to see my favorite bands hobbling’ about on stage trying to relive their youth with the smells of pot, beer and cigarettes replaced by Ben Gay and Absorbine Jr. :lol:

3 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

No thanks. 

I prefer to remember bands, musicians and singers as they were when they became famous or played great music. I have no desire to see my favorite bands hobbling’ about on stage trying to relive their youth with the smells of pot, beer and cigarettes replaced by Ben Gay and Absorbine Jr. :lol:

That's the point, rather than a bunch of old geezers being wheeled out on stage they will look like they did in their prime.  The technology is getting really good.  Remember the commercial with John Wayne a few years ago or Jurassic Park?

6 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

That's the point, rather than a bunch of old geezers being wheeled out on stage they will look like they did in their prime.  The technology is getting really good.  Remember the commercial with John Wayne a few years ago or Jurassic Park?

Eh…nope. 

20 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

You must be the only person on earth that does not remember Jurassic Park.  I am not inferring that you were actually there. :P

Hahaha…no, what I meant was “nope” as in I really don’t want to see them holographically either. 

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

No thanks. 

or with walkers

A few years ago East Coast Filly and I went to a show featuring a whole slew of acts from the 60's -70's - 80's, and I believe one of the acts was Jan and Dean? Anyway, while some of the acts were decent, these two should have hung it up long before this. It was painful to hear.  The only group I heard that were still good in their senior years were the Seekers.

8 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

OMG those outfits look BAD

In the top picture, they are wearing suits used for green screen motion capture. The colored patches with the white "buttons" are nodes that will be used in the computer generated images.

7 hours ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

In the top picture, they are wearing suits used for green screen motion capture. The colored patches with the white "buttons" are nodes that will be used in the computer generated images.

That image should never have been made public.

11 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

The new songs are pretty good.

I heard a chunk of one this morning, and it sounded very ABBAish.  Didn't realize it was new.  Then I remember these are the guys that wrote Chess, which is one of my favorite musicals, so they have that going for them.

21 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

No thanks. 

As long as there is an exception for the Rolling Stones.

5 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Well one just died and the others look like the Walking Dead.  Great candidates for holograms.

3 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Well one just died and the others look like the Walking Dead.  Great candidates for holograms.

I thought that Keith Richards didn't survive the '80's and all the drugs he did in the '60's, '70's and '80's just did a really good job of preservation.:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Nope. Saw them on December 17, 1981 in concert in Hampton, VA. It was a fantastic show. It was Keith Richards birthday. 
That is the way I want to remember them. I would not go to a show today. 

image.jpeg.1bbd1d3754946b7679cb097a862400b7.jpeg

Most of the geezer bands have tried to make comebacks over  the decades. The Stones have never made comebacks, because they never went away in the first place. What major group from the '60s can say the same? The only one I can think of is not a group: Bob Dylan.

4 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Most of the geezer bands have tried to make comebacks over  the decades. The Stones have never made comebacks, because they never went away in the first place. What major group from the '60s can say the same? The only one I can think of is not a group: Bob Dylan.

From 1961 to at least 2000, the Beach Boys were a consistent presence, albeit with shifting membership.  I'd still pay to see Mike Love and his travelling oldies act.

You can't beat Father Time.

LL

Archived