SASS Wire Forum

Magazine chain fire detonation…yikes!

El Catorce

3 hours ago, El Catorce said:

Lost you a bit… do you mean the round nose flat points run better in your 73 or do you mean the truncated cone run better? 

TC and swc do not feed well in my 73. Round nose flat point 125s feed very well.  Sorry I wasnt more clear.

Imis

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ran 105Gr Truncated Cone and 125Gr Truncated Cone in my '73s and '66s for close to 20 years without problem.  However, I was never comfortable with the 105 flat point in the Rifles and reserved them for Handguns.  The cited incident may well be the "One in Thousands" which statistically gives one confidence.  Perhaps false confidence.  Those "one in thousands" are really cool unless YOU happen to be that ONE.

I can't really make a recommendation for a replacement bullet as I no longer shoot nor own 38 caliber Rifle.  Mine all start with a "4".  

As an additional point, just to tack on to Abilene, neither a Semi-Wadcutter nor a Wadcutter will play well in a toggle Link rifle, regardless of caliber.

Meister Bullets peddle a 130Gr "sort of" truncated cone that feed like grain through a Goose.  Well, they use to.  I haven't looked lately.

My question.  Could the tighter alignment of the cartridges in the tube aided rounds going off in the tube?

9 hours ago, El Catorce said:

Don’t stock up loaded rounds … load them as I need them 

So you only loaded the 10 that were in the rifle and had none leftover? NO rounds unfired?

10 hours ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

So you only loaded the 10 that were in the rifle and had none leftover? NO rounds unfired?

No I shot the rest with no issues, through a back up, a loaner and my revolvers … all went off without issues 

As Imis said, I had a chain fire in the magazine of my 1860 Henry some years ago. The conditions were not the best and the follower slipped out of my sweaty fingers. There were eight rounds in the magazine, five of which fired and three had the bullet driven back into the case. I was wearing good ear plugs and my ears still rang for several hours!!

Here are the contributing factors. (1) I was using Federal primers which are probably the easiest to make detonate. (2) I was using a fairly new 160gr .45 caliber RNFP bullet, that on closer examination, had a slight crown on what was supposed to be a flat point. (3) The rifle was laying on a table, but the barrel was resting on a railing that had it slanted upward to the muzzle end.

The bullet manufacturer reworked the mold that produced those bullets to remove any crown and I continued to use the new design for many years with no further issues.

Fortunately, I was only slightly injured, (I DID pick brass out of my hide for several years) and I was able to dolly the magazine back into shape a few days later. 

Any more, I thoroughly examine ANY new bullet that I plan to use in my lever action rifles for any hint of a crown before purchase and any subsequent order gets sampled upon arrival!!  

Oh!  I still use Federal primers!!

Archived