Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Canvas rifle covers


Slow Poke Moses
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Canvas will rub bluing off of rub points, over repeated use.  

I had a tent company make canvas gun sleeves which I sold about fifteen years ago, and which were featured in Shoot! Magazine, mine and many others I sold are still in use and have never rubbed the bluing off!!!!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, WymoreWrangler SASS 46187L said:

I had a tent company make canvas gun sleeves which I sold about fifteen years ago, and which were featured in Shoot! Magazine, mine and many others I sold are still in use and have never rubbed the bluing off!!!!

I guess I'm just unlucky. 

I used a smooth tent canvas sleeve on my BSS up until last year.  about 1/2" of bluing rubbed off at the muzzle.   

My wife also used a similar sleeve on her Uberti '73.  The same thing happened on the octagon ridges. 

 

 I guess we should have bought them from you.   I suspect there is a lot of difference in canvas.  Mine were 100% cotton.  

 

 

Edited by Dusty Devil Dale
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I only use mine when it's blowing dusty or possible rain. My old ones are from SASS when they made the heavy canvas ones. The one's I got from @LADY PEARL SEWS are much softer and so far so good. Her product is very well made.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/2/2021 at 8:42 PM, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Canvas will rub bluing off of rub points, over repeated use.  

The key there is having the guns held firmly while the cart is being moved. I just redid two of my barrel slots to be more of a V shape rather than round, retaining the round slots for the  shotguns. I also can stuff a sock between the gun and the retainer bar. I have seen evidence of rubbing with both felt and leather but am now using a more supple leather that is not rough out.

Edited by Roscoe Regulator
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I guess I'm just unlucky. 

I used a smooth tent canvas sleeve on my BSS up until last year.  about 1/2" of bluing rubbed off at the muzzle.   

My wife also used a similar sleeve on her Uberti '73.  The same thing happened on the octagon ridges. 

 

 I guess we should have bought them from you.   I suspect there is a lot of difference in canvas.  Mine were 100% cotton.  

 

 

The one's I sold were made out of Sunforger Canvas, I personally sold over a thousand of them, and Red wing trading company also sold them.  I still see a lot of them in use today...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WymoreWrangler SASS 46187L said:

The one's I sold were made out of Sunforger Canvas, I personally sold over a thousand of them, and Red wing trading company also sold them.  I still see a lot of them in use today...

I miss Tom....Redwing was such a staple.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, WymoreWrangler SASS 46187L said:

I talked with him last year on the phone, he was still making knifes, but Karen was managing a restaurant in Kimball, NE....

 

So glad to hear something!

Please give them my love when you speak to him again!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
17 hours ago, Mister Badly said:

Mine are the legs from a pair of old jeans.

Congrats   You found a good use for the "skinny" jeans       GW

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.