SASS Wire Forum

Canvas rifle covers

Slow Poke Moses

1 hour ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Canvas will rub bluing off of rub points, over repeated use.  

I had a tent company make canvas gun sleeves which I sold about fifteen years ago, and which were featured in Shoot! Magazine, mine and many others I sold are still in use and have never rubbed the bluing off!!!!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WymoreWrangler SASS 46187L said:

I had a tent company make canvas gun sleeves which I sold about fifteen years ago, and which were featured in Shoot! Magazine, mine and many others I sold are still in use and have never rubbed the bluing off!!!!

I guess I'm just unlucky. 

I used a smooth tent canvas sleeve on my BSS up until last year.  about 1/2" of bluing rubbed off at the muzzle.   

My wife also used a similar sleeve on her Uberti '73.  The same thing happened on the octagon ridges. 

I guess we should have bought them from you.   I suspect there is a lot of difference in canvas.  Mine were 100% cotton.  

Edited by Dusty Devil Dale

I only use mine when it's blowing dusty or possible rain. My old ones are from SASS when they made the heavy canvas ones. The one's I got from @LADY PEARL SEWS are much softer and so far so good. Her product is very well made.

• Thanks 1

On 9/2/2021 at 8:42 PM, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Canvas will rub bluing off of rub points, over repeated use.  

The key there is having the guns held firmly while the cart is being moved. I just redid two of my barrel slots to be more of a V shape rather than round, retaining the round slots for the  shotguns. I also can stuff a sock between the gun and the retainer bar. I have seen evidence of rubbing with both felt and leather but am now using a more supple leather that is not rough out.

Edited by Roscoe Regulator
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I guess I'm just unlucky. 

I used a smooth tent canvas sleeve on my BSS up until last year.  about 1/2" of bluing rubbed off at the muzzle.   

My wife also used a similar sleeve on her Uberti '73.  The same thing happened on the octagon ridges. 

I guess we should have bought them from you.   I suspect there is a lot of difference in canvas.  Mine were 100% cotton.  

The one's I sold were made out of Sunforger Canvas, I personally sold over a thousand of them, and Red wing trading company also sold them.  I still see a lot of them in use today...

1 hour ago, WymoreWrangler SASS 46187L said:

The one's I sold were made out of Sunforger Canvas, I personally sold over a thousand of them, and Red wing trading company also sold them.  I still see a lot of them in use today...

I miss Tom....Redwing was such a staple.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, WymoreWrangler SASS 46187L said:

I talked with him last year on the phone, he was still making knifes, but Karen was managing a restaurant in Kimball, NE....

So glad to hear something!

Please give them my love when you speak to him again!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, Mister Badly said:

Mine are the legs from a pair of old jeans.

Congrats   You found a good use for the "skinny" jeans       GW

• Haha 2