SASS Wire Forum

New SASS shooter - looking for Classic Cowboy guns

Brendan the Kid

Hi gang, 

I'm new to SASS, but am coming from a reenacting background so I'm most interested in Classic Cowboy. I'm looking for a rifle, a hammered double, and pistols (still deciding between .44-40 and .45 LC). Does anyone have any of these guns collecting dust in their safe that they're looking to part with?

13 minutes ago, Brendan the Kid said:

Hi gang, 

I'm new to SASS, but am coming from a reenacting background so I'm most interested in Classic Cowboy. I'm looking for a rifle, a hammered double, and pistols (still deciding between .44-40 and .45 LC). Does anyone have any of these guns collecting dust in their safe that they're looking to part with?

If your gonna shoot black powder go with the 44/40 the tapered case helps keep your gun cleaner. Mudflat is a great pard to deal with you should give his guns a close look!!!

I've got a shortened 44-40. 73, 

A Remy 58 with bp and a .45 conversion cylinder

Also a few oddball vaqueros no matching pairs.  

Check out these guns on the SASS wire. Here is a link.

The 44-40 is an excellent cartridge for Classic Cowboy.  Great for black powder, as it seals the chamber better then 45 Colt, not allowing gunk back into the action of the rifle.  It can be loaded with a 165 grn bullet and light powder charge to manage recoil in pistols.  44-40 brass is not as common as the 45 colt and is slightly more difficult to load, expect some damaged cases.

The 45 colt... Rugger, solid cartridge... Easy to find normally.  You can often shoot, in Rugers, the 45 Schofield or 45 Cowboy Special cartridges to reduce recoil.

You picked the best Category there is!  Welcome to the ranks!  If you have Facebook check out the Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl Showdown page.

I went with .44-40 for my rifle as I am also planning on black powder when I reload.

Other than having to deal with another caliber, how about .44 Russian out of revolvers chambered for .44 Special? Still makes the needed smoke but has a little less recoil.

On edit: Not selling my guns, just wanted to present another option for your future revolvers.

Archived