SASS Wire Forum

Dry camping with Cpap....

Singin' Sue 71615

3 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

I've given up the RV lifestyle for the comforts of room service but that's fantastic info.  Wish I'd seen this article back when I was towing my living accommodations. 

Aww....yup.

Many look for RV parks and such because of Cpap needs.

I don't need one (knock on wood) but know several who do.

Hope it helps someone.

I use a CPAP, and have a DC adapter that will hook up to my Resmed CPAP and to a portable power jump starter, but figure not being hooked up for a night or two for a monthly match wont kill me.  I "car camp" at one match monthly, and it's just one less thing to deal with.

image.png.25ae6d9394e07e9c8e622c3c20004b19.pngimage.png.9bfb0fa9299dfb6352194bac910423a6.png

I added another cabin battery and an inverter to power up one outlet by the bed. That worked well for two nights. On our RV I changed the cabin batteries and load tested them with a box fan for 16 hours. No issues.

My 5th wheel has an inverter and the batteries are charged by two solar panels. Inverter powers the outlets in the living room and I sleep on a hide a bed there. Previous RV didn't have solar or inverter, I just brought along a 12 volt car battery and had an adapter to direct connect to it. For foreign travel my machine is multi voltage just use an adapter to match the plug, and connect into the wall directly. The car battery would last 3 nights, sometimes a bit more before a recharge was necessary. Use in the 5th wheel will sometimes cause the "good" LED to flicker the next morning but in a couple hours the batteries show "full" as the panels recharge them.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

The warning to vent the battery to the outside must be heeded.  Charging a battery inside the RV living space will quickly set off the smoke alarm (as I learned).  If using an inverter ask the CPAP manufacturer whether pure sine wave output is needed and buy an inverter accordingly. 

9 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Good article,, generally, but I believe there is an editing error in the calculation of operating time.

"Take a volt ohm meter and measure the amount of amps needed to operate the CPAP (both with the humidifier on and turned off) via 12 volts, then divide the required amps BY the usable amp hour reserve in the battery to determine the duration of run time in hours."

I believe the division needs to be the other way around -- change "divide ... by" to "divide ... into".  (... divide the CPAP demand INTO the battery capacity.   The example they give actually does it that way.  )

38 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Good article,, generally, but I believe there is an editing error in the calculation of operating time.

"Take a volt ohm meter and measure the amount of amps needed to operate the CPAP (both with the humidifier on and turned off) via 12 volts, then divide the required amps BY the usable amp hour reserve in the battery to determine the duration of run time in hours."

I believe the division needs to be the other way around -- change "divide ... by" to "divide ... into".  (... divide the CPAP demand INTO the battery capacity.   The example they give actually does it that way.  )

Thank you, Mr. Prosector

Many CPAP's are 12 volt with a 120 volt converter inline. I removed the converter and added a plug with a 7 amp fuse at the head of the bed and wired it to the 12 volt system in the trailer. This way I don't need to run the inverter at night to power the CPAP. Unless it's cold, I don't use the heat on the humidifier.  We have solar and the batteries have never been a problem while dry camping.

Archived