SASS Wire Forum

Cast Bullet Shortage

Raven Law Dog

Anybody know why there is such a shortage of cast bullets for sale. I'm looking for both 45LC and 44-40 cal.  A company by the name of X-Treme Bullets claim to have 44-40 in stock at a reasonable price. Anyone ever purchased from them before or got any ideas where to buy? Thanks

I have been buying plated bullets from them for the past 5-6 years for steel plate and steel challenge and the quality is great. I would think their cast bullets would be the same. Great people to do business with. 

B.P.

"On the shelf" could be hard to find, but ordering bullets that need to be cast should be possible. The lead time would be a concern. We are not in a position to buy supplies just-in-time. I special order bullets from Penn Bullets, if something Bullets by Scarlett doesn't carry. Penn has some bullet profiles I cannot find anywhere else. My wait within the past 6 months has been 8 weeks on two different orders. The new coating method is a great improvement, leaving no residue in my barrels, so all my orders going forward will be coated.

Extreme bullets are reputable.   I have several thousand copper-plated 9mm from them for loading, and have loaded about 10k of their Bullets over the years.  
I’ve been using our cowboy bullet suppliers for my cowboy loads.   As one said message @Scarlett here or on Facebook messenger.  She’s keeping us supplied here.   

Bang and Clang is caught up. He is a SASS supporter and I buy all my bullets from him these days. Of course I like to support a NM business and can pick up my bullets at local matches to save on shipping.

https://bangandclangllc.com/

8 hours ago, Raven Law Dog said:

Anybody know why there is such a shortage of cast bullets for sale. I'm looking for both 45LC and 44-40 cal.  A company by the name of X-Treme Bullets claim to have 44-40 in stock at a reasonable price. Anyone ever purchased from them before or got any ideas where to buy? Thanks

Email Bullets by Scarlett, she may have some even if her website says she's out, Scarlett supports the Tennessee State Match and many many others and she will be set up October 9-11. Also check out CSA Bullets in Alabama, they set up at our monthly matches about every month or 2. They are also a supporter of the Tennessee State Match and are running a State Match special onsite October 9-11. Attached is a link to the Flyer.

https://forums.sassnet.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=112758

Hopefully the link is fixed, if not see Sedalia Dave's post below.

Randy

5 hours ago, Raven Law Dog said:

know why there is such a shortage

Why?

Ultra High demand for any ammo loading components.

Lack of raw material supply (lead alloy, and trucking to get the supply to the casters)

Lack of labor to make finished product.

Quarantines, wide spread illness, reluctance of drivers and workers to show up to work, all make "normal" something we can't find currently.

This ain't rocket science, just supply, demand and civic responsibility all being poorly handled.

good luck, GJ

30 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Email Bullets by Scarlett, she may have some even if her website says she's out, Scarlett supports the Tennessee State Match and many many others and she will be set up October 9-11. Also check out CSA Bullets in Alabama, they set up at our monthly matches about every month or 2. They are also a supporter of the Tennessee State Match and are running a State Match special onsite October 9-11. Attached is a link to the Flyer.

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&folder=default0/INBOX

Randy

Link is bad.

Here is the flyer

rebelrouser (1).pdf

Xtreme has great plated or FMJ bullets. I have used their Cowboy bullets in 44 and 45. They are hard cast, non coated bullets. They will work, but you will see heavy leading in the forcing cone and barrel.

We have been buying from Missouri Bullet Company for the past several years.  Great family owned business,  member of SASS and gives SASS members discount.  They don't say out of stock but say up to 4 weeks possible delay.   Last we ordered came in a couple of days. 

https://www.missouribullet.com/pricing.php

Outlaw Bullets has been in hiding since the Pestilence began for personal reasons.

In addition I had some issues with shipping that had to be made right with the customer but it got me thinking.

Had another couple issues with credit card fraud that started making me think some more.

Then supply-side lead started to get thin. 

So that's my story.

18 minutes ago, Waimea said:

Outlaw Bullets has been in hiding since the Pestilence began for personal reasons.

In addition I had some issues with shipping that had to be made right with the customer but it got me thinking.

Had another couple issues with credit card fraud that started making me think some more.

So that's my story.

We'll miss you!

Randy

20 minutes ago, Waimea said:

So that's my story.

Hang in there.

Colorado Cast Bullets, owned by San Juan, SASS shooter, I have bought thousands of 44-40 180 grain bullets from him. Reasonable prices, always available.

https://storage.googleapis.com/wzukusers/user-34472342/documents/a0c8d05d6e35427e86408e6830d31f1b/COLORADO CAST BULLET Price List 2021.pdf

TB

BIG Thank You for all the suggestions. Some of the places y'all  mentioned I have checked, with no luck. I shot with Scarlett in Lenoir a few moths ago and she wasn't optimistic about getting supplies, however I did discover I don't want to make her mad when she's got 6 guns on her hip. That's a deadly woman! I did place an order with Penn Bullets who explained how covered up he was and couldn't find workers who wanted to work. He's filling orders as best as he can with limited help.

The biggest hinderance to the Bullet Casting industry is a shortage of suitable Lead.  Lead mines have closed, Lead refiners have closed, Imports from abroad have been interrupted.  In some areas, finding people willing to work is a real groan.

33 minutes ago, meesterpaul said:

They have a great name!  I see that they have multiple diameter options also which is nice.

B&C's bullet hardness (BH12) is what I prefer for CAS shooting.  I use harder bullets for higher velocity ammo.  I'm picking up some .32 bullets from George Martin next weekend at our state match.  

Steve at Bear Creek Bullets in California has been a great supporter of CAS for years, and his molly coated bullets shoot very clean.  He has told me that all the lead  bullet casters have been having a big problem getting recycled lead for quite a few years because the Chinese have been outbidding the U.S. people.

Thank you Obama, and his EPA stooges, for shutting down the last U.S. lead smelter.

On 9/1/2021 at 8:07 PM, Raven Law Dog said:

BIG Thank You for all the suggestions. Some of the places y'all  mentioned I have checked, with no luck. I shot with Scarlett in Lenoir a few moths ago and she wasn't optimistic about getting supplies, however I did discover I don't want to make her mad when she's got 6 guns on her hip. That's a deadly woman! I did place an order with Penn Bullets who explained how covered up he was and couldn't find workers who wanted to work. He's filling orders as best as he can with limited help.

Primers are the ONLY thing I don’t have readily available. There is NO SHORTAGE of lead alloy. We have all we want however, casting schedules and folks who

still insist on buying as much as they can are causing some timing delays - right now I’m out of 230s but they’re being cast…. My website says out of stock because I’m

protecting my inventory for my cowboy customers…. Don’t worry. Lead is NOT primers.

Big hugs!

Scarlett

Archived