SASS Wire Forum

What to check for when buying used?

Chick Bowdrie sass 111302

Howdy all!

I understand the answer to this question would change when talking about guns, leather, misc gear, carts, etc. 

but I’m curious (mainly when it comes to guns) what you do, or would have, specifically checked for when buying used. Either here in the wire, in person at a match, or at your local store. 

My first S&W M28 Highway Patrolman I bought over 35 years ago had two distinct bulges that could be felt when running your fingers down the barrel from someone firing another round after having a squib.

I didn't know till after I had paid and brought the gun to show a friend and he felt them.

I shot countless thousands of target rounds out of that big N frame and it was always accurate though.

Caveat Emptor

Trust but verify

Know what you're looking at

And lastly - if you make a mistake - be reasonably sure you can deal with it.

Ask all the right questions - if you dont know the right questions - enlist a friend who does.

Trust your gut - if it feels wrong - it is wrong.

It is likely not the only one in the world - there will be others - you dont have to buy this one.

Be prepared (and think about it when you're negotiating) to spend more money/ time just in case something wasn't discovered or disclosed.

Walk into any deal with your eyes wide open - as educated as possible on what you should be looking at - prepared to walk away if needed - and prepared to invest more if you missed something.

4 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Caveat Emptor

Trust but verify

Know what you're looking at

And lastly - if you make a mistake - be reasonably sure you can deal with it.

Ask all the right questions - if you dont know the right questions - enlist a friend who does.

Trust your gut - if it feels wrong - it is wrong.

It is likely not the only one in the world - there will be others - you dont have to buy this one.

Be prepared (and think about it when you're negotiating) to spend more money/ time just in case something wasn't discovered or disclosed.

Walk into any deal with your eyes wide open - as educated as possible on what you should be looking at - prepared to walk away if needed - and prepared to invest more if you missed something.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

I used to buy from a LGS that had a 3-day return policy on used guns.  I had to return a rifle once.  It functioned well but was quite inaccurate.  On online auction sites I only buy from sellers with many recent, positive reviews.

Do you have a gunsmith nearby?  Offer him $20 to teach you what to look for.  Money well spent, faster than sorting through YouTube videos.

And I was actually not attempting to be pithy or dismissive.

The advice I gave applies to guns, cars, houses and spouses.

But its pretty vague as well - perhaps if you told us what firearms you're considering - we could offer some specific advice.

Bulged barrels would be something to check for, remove forearms on sxs's and check lugs and hangers for damage or poor repairs, timing, cylinder throwby. Lots of things depending on firearm. 

Archived