SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Vaqueros?

Currahee

What is going on at Ruger?  Am looking for a pair of Vaqueros but none are available except at silly auction prices.  Really, how great can the demand be for single action revolvers, newby gun owners buy Glocks?

Is the Vaquero in production?  And, if so, where did they disappear to?

Sorry, don't know anything about the gun business.

thanks,

BB

My guess would be they are using their production facilities for firearms that are in higher demand with a higher profit margin.   

Ruger has it’s production facilities tied up with making semi autos, and they have had several semi-auto new model launches they are supporting.  Since that’s the case, they aren’t making bigger single actions.   They are making wranglers though.. 

Right now demand for semi autos is huge.  

I agree with the above..... PLUS:

Some of their workforce may also be putting forth great efforts to produce the Marlin's again

by their projected deadlines of this fall/winter.

Its just a guess of mine, AND I HOPE,  but Ruger might be trying REAL HARD to produce some very nice

model 336, 1895 and 1894's before Christmas to make a big splash in sales for the holidays.

50 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I agree with the above..... PLUS:

Some of their workforce may also be putting forth great efforts to produce the Marlin's again

by their projected deadlines of this fall/winter.

Its just a guess of mine, but Ruger might be trying REAL HARD to produce some very nice

model 336, 1895 and 1894's before Christmas to make a big splash in sales for the holidays.

Your last paragraph needs an I HOPE button for me to hit. :D

35 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Its just a guess of mine, but Ruger might be trying REAL HARD to produce some very nice

That would be awesome!

Ruger's next big splash in the gun market, Post-Marlin reestablishment should be to Wranger-up the Vaquero.  By this I mean they should do to the Vaquero what the Wrangler did with the Single Six.

A not-so polished, basic vaquero with all the manufacturing shortcuts that the wrangler has chambered in CAS friendly calibers (for example 38 Special only) could probably completely undercut Uberti in the price dept, gathering Ruger even more sales.  

4 minutes ago, The Aggie Rifleman, SASS#55213 said:

Ruger's next big splash in the gun market, Post-Marlin reestablishment should be to Wranger-up the Vaquero.  By this I mean they should do to the Vaquero what the Wrangler did with the Single Six.

A not-so polished, basic vaquero with all the manufacturing shortcuts that the wrangler has chambered in CAS friendly calibers (for example 38 Special only) could probably completely undercut Uberti in the price dept, gathering Ruger even more sales.  

Like plastic and such? I say boo! :mellow:

Was this on their website, or "just" a lack of availability at retailers?  Years ago, S&W ran batches of various models of their guns.  When the production of a particular batch was completed, they switched to some other model, and you might wait several years before another run made a particular model available.  I'm thinking especially of M29's back around 1964.

1 minute ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Like plastic and such? I say boo! :mellow:

Not completely plastic like those LCR pistols, but wrangler it up.  Unfluted cylinder for ease of production.  Rougher exterior finish on reciever and grip (grip still can use vaquero grips).  Eliminate the click entirely and make the things free spin only like the wranglers.  

Will it not be as pretty, yep.

Will it work as intended for SASS, yep.

Would it be cheaper and thus lower the entry cost for new shooters, yep.

The Wrangler has been an outstanding sales success for Ruger and taking the bare bones revolver model to the Vaquero would undercut the Italians.  New budget-vaquero for less than whatever flavor Uberti is there...sounds like a winner.

6 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Was this on their website, or "just" a lack of availability at retailers?  Years ago, S&W ran batches of various models of their guns.  When the production of a particular batch was completed, they switched to some other model, and you might wait several years before another run made a particular model available.  I'm thinking especially of M29's back around 1964.

I heard from a Ruger rep when I placed an instructor order for a wrangler a few months back….  Most all production is going to semi’s and AR’s.  

All the manufacturers are turning out polymer frame gun as fast as they can. They are selling hot cakes. That is per Lipseys distributors in Baton Rouge. I bought the last NMV they had in stock. 

I wanted to buy, from Ruger web site, a pair of grips for my older Vaquero's. My order was taken, but the next day I received an email saying they are on backorder. What the heck, why not say that in the description. I guess they wanted my money then have to wait til they're back in stock. I like the Rosewood version they offer, but not if I have to wait months for them.

Does anyone know if I'm allowed to modify my grips with glue +sand to obtain a rough-sure grip. Shoot Duelist, but my hands get sweaty and want to feel that there is no movement in my hand. 

6 minutes ago, Badger Red said:

Does anyone know if I'm allowed to modify my grips with glue +sand to obtain a rough-sure grip. Shoot Duelist, but my hands get sweaty and want to feel that there is no movement in my hand. 

SHB PG 34

Contemporary rubber grips, modern target grips, grip tape, and the like are not allowed

I would say this falls into the “and the like” , so no. 

On 8/31/2021 at 11:37 AM, The Aggie Rifleman, SASS#55213 said:

Not completely plastic like those LCR pistols, but wrangler it up.  Unfluted cylinder for ease of production.  Rougher exterior finish on reciever and grip (grip still can use vaquero grips).  Eliminate the click entirely and make the things free spin only like the wranglers.  

Will it not be as pretty, yep.

Will it work as intended for SASS, yep.

Would it be cheaper and thus lower the entry cost for new shooters, yep.

The Wrangler has been an outstanding sales success for Ruger and taking the bare bones revolver model to the Vaquero would undercut the Italians.  New budget-vaquero for less than whatever flavor Uberti is there...sounds like a winner.

NO ,   Just NO.  Besides , they sell all the Vaqueros they make anyway , why mess with success ?

Rex :D

PS: I do see a good bit of negative push-back on the Wrangler on other forums , mostly poor QC.

Archived