SASS Wire Forum

Anyone use Winchester 572 powder for handgun ammo?

Pat Riot

It’s just like the sun subject line says: 

Anyone I use Win. 572 powder for handgun loads?

Does it burn well?

Unburnt powder problems?

Whst are your impressions of it?

How does it compare to other powders?

Thank you 

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't used it but reading on line it is primarily for magmum shotgun and hotter pistol loads. Burn rate chart puts it right next to Blue Dot.

Was developed for sub gage shotgun loading specifically the 28 gage. 

Hodgdon lists data for it in a lot of different hand gun calibers but the starting load velocities are all around 1000 fps. All the 12 ga load data is for 1 1/4 oz or 1 3/8 oz loads. 

Supposed to be rather clean burning as long as you are not hovering near minimum loads. 

11 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Haven't used it but reading on line it is primarily for magmum shotgun and hotter pistol loads. Burn rate chart puts it right next to Blue Dot.

Was developed for sub gage shotgun loading specifically the 28 gage. 

Hodgdon lists data for it in a lot of different hand gun calibers but the starting load velocities are all around 1000 fps. All the 12 ga load data is for 1 1/4 oz or 1 3/8 oz loads. 

Supposed to be rather clean burning as long as you are not hovering near minimum loads. 

Thank you Dave. I have opted to purchase some Winchester 244 WinClean powder. It's more for standard loads and mostly for ,38 Spl and 9mm, but I want to try it in .45 Colt.

I was using Universal but all but the hottest loads leave unburnt powder. I like Trail Boss but I have only been able to get two 9oz containers in the past 18 months.

55 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Take a look at 700-X.  Load data for all those cartridges and more.

I will. Thank you. 

The problem is “finding” the powder. Haha :lol:

Pat, Trail Boss is made by ADI/Thales in Australia for Hodgdon.
I was reading a News blurb on their site, and my takeaway is they are not planning any TB production in 2021.
In fact, ADI is scaling back several of their lines, to concentrate on their "core" lines... which are mostly 30 caliber powders.

N32C is the next highest VMD, and is occasionally available at Powder Valley.
You have to be quick because it is snatched up fast.

The Hodgdon 572 loads in 45 Colt show pressures in the BHN range of 5.9 to 10.4 if you have soft lead bullets.
Recoil is under 6 ft.lb in a typical revolver.
Case fill is 31% or less and cheap to shoot at $0.05 per charge.

Archived