SASS Wire Forum

Non SASS Shotgun question

I'm looking for a new 12 gauge shotgun. Either an autoloader or an over/under since my shoulder will not let me use my pump anymore. I am wanting to mostly shoot clays and maybe dove.  Has anyone had any experience with the TriStar brand?  I have found and autoloader that points nice and has a real nice fit and finish.  I have also found a TriStar O/U that comes with a high vent rib and a single Trap barrel.  The autoloader is about $700-$800 and the two barrel O/U is about $1800 (which is more than I was planning on spending).  Any other suggestions for around $1000?

Thanks,

Notso Slim

Edit: Its not the recoil as much as the pump action that messes with my left arm. 

4 minutes ago, Notso Slim, SASS #67301 said:

I'm looking for a new 12 gauge shotgun. Either an autoloader or an over/under since my shoulder will not let me use my pump anymore. I am wanting to mostly shoot clays and maybe dove.  Has anyone had any experience with the TriStar brand?  I have found and autoloader that points nice and has a real nice fit and finish.  I have also found a TriStar O/U that comes with a high vent rib and a single Trap barrel.  The autoloader is about $700-$800 and the two barrel O/U is about $1800 (which is more than I was planning on spending).  Any other suggestions for around $1000?

Thanks,

Notso Slim

Take a hard look at the CZ line of shotguns.  They are made in Turkey for CZ, but backed by CZ customer service which has a reputation for being quite good, not that that means the guns have go back very often.

I bought the entry level SxS Bobwhite G2 w/ 5chokes for $725 and I have seen them as low as $599 plus tax and the build quality is very good for the price.  I know a shooter that has the entry level CZ auto loader and very happy with it.

If I were to go looking for a auto loader or O/U for skeet, trap or sporting clays I would almost certainly get the CZ.    I would suggest the auto loader, I doubt the recoil of a O/U is going to be much less than a pump.

Dittos.  The CZ guns are tops.  I was gonna say, "for the price", but thst would be wrong.  They are just a solid good deal.  Also sold under the factory's name, Huglu, in some places.

6 minutes ago, Joke 'um said:

I was gonna say, "for the price", but thst would be wrong.  They are just a solid good deal

Thank you.

Something is either good, or it is not. "Good for the price" is a stupid statement.

The Tristar auto loaders are made in turkey( I think ). My Mossberg SA20 is made in Turkey by Armsan and is a very good shotgun, I have been using it for Trap and have fired a couple cases of ammo with no problems, even some extra lite cowboy loads feed and ejected no problem. There are several manufacturers in Turkey some good some not so much. Most are copies of the Beretta design. Find out who makes the tristar might be a good gun. I was at Walmart the other day , they had a Hatfield auto for $216, I almost bought it just to see how bad it could be.

After my 2 sons joined the school shotgun team I learned a good bit.  I learned beretta quality out does everyone.  A beretta semiauto a300 is about 700 and an a400 not much more depending on the model.  I've seen turkey made guns including good brands break on a kid in the middle of a match.  

A winchester semiauto is similar price to a beretta and equal to the task.  

A base beretta 686 silver pigeon can be found for 1800 or so on gunbroker.   The oldest gun club in the country in Savannah,  ga rents out beretta 686 shotguns so they hold up really well.   

I've been shooting Beretta gas operated semi-autos for nearly fifty years.  Recoil is negligible.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used one...        

My lady got a new 1301 tactical, she loves it.

I got a used Remington Versa Max Competition, I love it.

Each of those was somewhat over $1,000, but not by all that much.

In both cases, they were "replacing" pumps. The Remington will probably prove more tolerant of lower-power shells without modification.

Archived