SASS Wire Forum

Moved the Ranch

It's done; we finally moved, lock, stock and barrel, to our retirement cottage on Cape Cod.  Packers (us), movers, junk men, cleaners, realtors, lawyers, tradesmen, firemen, and every other trade imaginable, just to get out of a house.  Twenty eight years of accumulation to clear out or pack up.  Smoke and carbon monoxide alarms to upgrade, install and certify per law.  Documents to finalize and sign for the closing.  Insurance and banking arrangements to be made.  Mail forwarding to arrange (and a new mail box and post to install). 

Never would have made it without Mrs. LL - a real worker and organizer.  Luckily, our son and DIL have been living at the cottage for the summer,  avoiding the Seattle craziness and working remotely; their help was invaluable.  Still, I don't think that I have worked so hard since I worked on a farm as a schoolboy.

Next phase is unpacking and set up....now, which crate has the ammo components?

LL

Congratulations! :)

Having moved many times it is definitely hard work and can be very frustrating as well as exhausting. I am glad you had help. 

I’ve been in the same house for 26 years can’t imagine moving at this point! Too much work!

Congratulations and good luck in your new home!:)

You moved to relax, so relax.

Bed first then kitchen stuff.  Once you can eat and sleep, kick back.  Unpack one box a day, don’t put unnecessary pressure on yourselves.

4 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Next phase is unpacking and set up....now, which crate has the ammo components?

LL

Unpacking will remind you of Christmas, you'll open a box and be surprised at what's inside.

2 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Congrats!

We are blessed that we have 4 years to move what we want to keep to our retirement home...and have done that bit by bit for a couple of years now.

Cape Cod sounds wonderful!

Mountains for us...

Gotta love where you live.

The "bit-by-bit" plan was ours, too.  But you really need the pressure of an impending move deadline to force you to part with a bunch of stuff that you really CAN live without.  I'd estimate that we jettisoned about 50% of the volume of our stuff; I'd like to dump that much again.

Just moved the gun safe (empty).  Will reload it this afternoon.  I'm very fortunate that both my son and DIL are body builders.  ^_^

LL

25 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

The "bit-by-bit" plan was ours, too.  But you really need the pressure of an impending move deadline to force you to part with a bunch of stuff that you really CAN live without.  I'd estimate that we jettisoned about 50% of the volume of our stuff; I'd like to dump that much again.

Just moved the gun safe (empty).  Will reload it this afternoon.  I'm very fortunate that both my son and DIL are body builders.  ^_^

LL

Right?

We are going smaller...MUCH smaller!!

Majority of stuff will be left for youngest daughter and family taking over the property. I'll let her do the clearing!!!

I can live without 90% of what resides with us!!

The garage/loading room and tools, well THAT is a whole issue in itself!!

Archived