SASS Wire Forum

How did you come by your alias?

Buckshot Bear

Buffalo Creek is the eastern boundary of our property and, I'm a retired law dog, hence, Buffalo Creek Law Dog.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I joined long ago, I wanted a Texas Ranger alias. Of course all the famous ones were taken. I was looking thru rolls on the TR museum website and came across Capt. Callahan. It sorta rang a bell, so I drove 8 or 10 miles to the county seat of Callahan Co. and sure 'nuff there was a marker on the courthouse lawn. Bingo. Did a little research, and he had a very colorful but short life. Fought in the Texas Revolution, one of the few survivors of the Goliad massacre, led the first Texas Ranger expedition into Mexico pursuing Apaches. Wound up fighting not only Apaches but also Mexican Federales. Died when he was blown out of the saddle in a shotgun ambush. His killer was afraid Callahan's friends would lynch him......and he was right.

JHC

http://254texascourthouses.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Screen-Shot-2014-05-27-at-1.04.31-PM.png

My real name is Chris. My Dad passed away shortly before I started Cowboy Action shooting & was originally from Canton, China so to honor him, I became Canton Chris!

3 minutes ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Pretty easy for me...Tattoos & Mohawk  =   ''Painted Mohawk  ''

When I first laid eyes on you many years ago at EOT the first thing I thought of was Mohawk because of the hair and the painted part was a no brainer. Very fitting alias.

Me and the missus ("Bobby McGee") were sitting around having an after dinner nip and kicking around catchy alias possibilities for a couple hours...ya know 'em all - "Badlands Bob", "Deadeye Dave", "Snakeleg Sam", and many other not-quite-right attempts, and getting desperately low on clever puns and portmanteaux I burst out with "Sue Boy"!

Her look of befuddlement and response of "What???" led me to say "you know, 'a boy' . . . 'named Sue'" to which she replied "You're already a boy, that's redundant, it should just be Sue". Clearly too easy and obviously likely already in use, a quick check of the online alias database showed it was (amazingly) available, so 'Sue' it is.

I still feel a bit sacreligious using it (sorry Johnny), but it really is spot on. Makes me appreciate my Dad.

"My name is Sue! How do you do?"

I used Dustin Checotah. They are both towns in Oklahoma near where I used to live. I used Dustin like dust in Checotah, harkening back to the dust bowl days which I never experienced. 

I had thought of dropping the Dustin but I found out that there is already a Checotah.

Retired now and on a “fixed” income yet still payin for both my and Hilda Billies guns costumes and all the other stuff that goes along with this game and all of our other hobbies.  Old cars, old sewing machines, other guns and shooting sports, along with all the toys and great adventures that we are enjoying.

I was Mean Ol Doug for many years (like Matthew Duncan, mostly due to lack of imagination).  The day after Don Knotts died there was a Andy Griffith show marathon and they showed the episode where Barney was scared to face down the bully. Andy talked to the bully warning him about his deputy.  One of the Nicknames he mentioned was Crazy Gun Barney. I called HQ and changed my alias that afternoon. 

My better half is Jersey (where she was born) Bratt (her actual last name and very fitting). Me, I watched a video of my shooting. Yes, there is an intentional misspelling , the "h" in the last name is a tip of the glass to Foster Brooks.

Imis

Looking to get started in this sport, I considered various "rootin tootin" aliases but none I came up with felt right for me.

So I reflected on historical characters, and the Hollywood B western foundations of this sport...

I searched for real cowboy figures from history and compared them to the alias database; many were taken.

John Kloehr lived in Coffeeville Kansas, ran a livery, and was woken one day when the Dalton gang was robbing the town bank.

He did kill at least one of them, legend has him killing four.

Seems a perfect character for a B western and the alias was not taken.

I am taking a lot of liberties with the character, not trying to be historically accurate. My outfit is more "professional" than the pictures of the real John Kloehr, in a way I could see Hollywood depicting him. My look is still evolving, having a lot of fun with that.

One item I did select for historical accuracy is his shooting a Winchester chambered in .44-40. I also chose this caliber due to my desire to transition to black powder in the future, but the rifle caliber is possibly the only documented fact about him that is true and correct in all sources.

This article tries to document the true story:

https://truewestmagazine.com/article/john-j-kloehr-downs-a-dalton/

And then there is this version of events, which John Kloehr basically characterized as a pack of falsehoods:

https://www.kayempea.net/adds/kloehr.html

This second version establishes the basis of a Hollywood character. Hollywood does not require truth, only a good story.

My full alias is Charlie Van Bowen Harley. 

The original Charlie Van Bowen Harley was my great grandfather on my maternal grandmother’s side. He was a deputy US marshal in the late 1800s. He worked out of Fort Smith, Arkansas. After leaving the Marshall service he settled in Paris, Arkansas where he met my great grandmother, ran a hardware store, and was the county postmaster.

When I started into cowboy shooting my grandmother gave me many of his personal items. His gun belt. A lot of important letters and documents. And the wedding ring he gave to my great grandmother.

When I was a teenager I worked as a stable hand & horseback tour guide in Chickamauga Battlefield. Chickamauga Creek was taken & I thought at 380 lbs. "Slim" had a fitting ring of whimsy & sarcasm to it.  

Alberta born and raised.

Worked as a cowboy as a youngster around Medley, Grande Centre and Cold Lake.

Now thinking about changing my alias to the Cold Lake Grump 'cause I ain't a kid anymore.

Dang it.

As a shift manager at work I had to sign numerous FDA required documents with the usual first initial and last name. Being left handed and usually in a hurry it mostly came out unreadable except for a D an R and an X. During the height of the "Austin Powers" movie craze our Vice President of Regulatory Affairs (FDA compliance and a friend from school days) asked my boss just who the devil this Doctor X was he had on 3rd shift. The nickname stuck for years so when I needed an alias I just dropped Doctor down to a more western sounding Doc and left the X alone.

When I was trying to pick an alias my wife suggested Dastardly Dale or Deadly Dale since my real name is Dale. I thought about all the Leo names since I was a Leo for almost forty years and rejected all of them as too limiting. I finally settled on Henry T Harrison. He was Longstreet’s spy which allowed me to assume the role of any character  

J-Bar was my paternal grandfather’s nickname, because he branded his cattle “J” on his small ranch in northern New Mexico.

Grandpa and Grandma on their wedding day, August 1, 1897.  He was a widower, she was a widow, each brought two children to the marriage, and then had 9 more.  My dad was the baby of family, #13, following his twin brother by five minutes.

B092F079-887A-4E26-A3D5-685423FF0C99.thumb.jpeg.4e200e0950461050d2c6e1c3ea4662d0.jpeg

I wanted to establish an alias that there was no chance of anybody else having.  My ancestral home is really Punxsutawney, PA.  A good friend of mine used to razz me by referring to the Groundhog as "Pete" instead of "Phil." and with the alliteration and in respect of the real Punxsutawney Groundhog I decided to adopt "Pete" for part of my alias.

Was talking with a lady over in Wenatchee, Washington about attending a match over there. I was just getting started and had some but not all of my shooting gear, and IIRC this was to be my first match to attend. Anyhow, we got to discussing aliases and various other matters. I was not happy with the one I was going to choose. Her husband had an odd one, and I questioned her about it. Seems it was something they used in counting cattle. I mentioned that I had recreational property on Badger Mountain, just north of Wenatchee. She suggested Badger Mountain Charlie. I liked the sound of it so another super hero of the old west was born. :D

2 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I have a collection of family and their visitor's calling cards.

Hubby, who had been shooting CAS for a while, told me about the propensity for plays-on-words.

So I combined the two ideas and Allie Mo was the result.

Calling Card Start to Finish.jpg

Well, we'll always remember the Allie Mo. :D

While I was running a manufacturing plant in VA, back in the 90's, the supervisors and team leads all had a habit of calling me Captain (instead of Boss or Big Guy etc..). Whenever I come up with some wild a$$ scheme to increase production, or cover weekends,  or lower costs, they alway began their response with "Captain are you kiddin' me?" It became a mainstay of our meetings........... 

On 8/27/2021 at 8:18 PM, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

I don't know. :lol:

image.thumb.png.e626a3ce2ad7540938c5a431d4af7a5a.png

Damn--- That's a nice scooter!

Many moons ago when the wife ( Ellie Phant ) and I were dating, I used to come with some wierd words. Some of which turned out to be real! Anyhow, one time when out and about I called her "HORG". Be clear, there is a G on the end! For whatever reason the word stuck and we were both now Horgs. The plate on the bike is "2HORGS" and we live on "Horgens Way"! So when I signed up we decided I was a Horg and she was a Horg! Hence, "Eyesa Horg". Should have spelt it ISA however so that it would get pronounced correctly. People did occasionally turn a head when yell "Hey Horg" across a parking lot or something.

Ellie got hers due to being an avid elephant collector. But she's still myHorg!!

Archived