SASS Wire Forum

How did you come by your alias?

Buckshot Bear

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John Calder was my Mother’s father. I never met my Grandfather, he died when my Mom was 6 years old.

I just made up the rest.

CJ

Had about three seconds to come up with an alias. Went to watch a shoot with an electrician I had met at work. An hombre by the name of M T Hart looked at me and said "We don't want no stinking tourist. Your shooting. What's your alias?" Well, I'm kinda skinny and I grew up in Michigan...... So, there it was.

Planting a trio of birch trees for the Former Missus Hardpan.  Using a 16-lb iron bar with a chisel point, railroad pick, and shovel on a 107° afternoon.

Chipping through the petrified soil, I paused to wipe the sweat out of my eyes and grumbled "This $*%&^@ hardpan is enough to make a curmudgeon outta anyone!"  :angry:

Here's my rifle:  :rolleyes:

729097516_RossiX2.jpg.7c7cd8f7eaa890dd94d98eb8478d3e44.jpg

I was working on a list on aliases on my desk blotter at work. Pat Riot was one of my ideas. It’s a play on “patriot”. My friend circled Pat Riot and put a note next to it that said “This is definitely the right one for you.” So, I became Pat Riot. 

I wanted a historic real name for an alias, well all the obvious ones were taken, Wyatt Earp, Billy the Kid etc I was reading a book The Arizona Rangers and I had just came back from a vacation in Arizona (not shooting) and some of the names sounded pretty cool, Rye Miles jumped out at me and I said yea! I like Rye Whiskey!! So Rye Miles it is!!

Sgt. J. T. " Rye" Miles, Arizona Ranger, Sheriff of Tucson, Constable in Benson, Born in Texas in 1866 died in Casa Grande Az in 1942 , killed 6 men in his lawdog career. ;):FlagAm:

I was Tucson Tony before that!:o

Well, I have been singin' my entire life!

Sang at church when I was 10...had a step stool to see over the podium...kids at school treated me like royalty. Seems services were being aired on the local radio!!!

My given name is Susanne...sooooooo:wub:

Well, I have been known as Deacon KC on several firearms forums for decades. Deacon is obvious KC my initials.

50 minutes ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

John Calder was my Mother’s father. I never met my Grandfather, he died when my Mom was 6 years old.

I just made up the rest.

CJ

I don’t know why I forgot to mention, my avatar is the only picture I have of John Calder. The picture was on top of my Mom’s dresser as far back as I can remember. Now it’s on top of my desk credenza.

CJ

35 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Well, I have been known as Deacon KC on several firearms forums for decades. Deacon is obvious KC my initials.

I'm much the same.  I'm a subdeacon and, except at the Chalice, I go by Joe.

17 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

I had my leather vest, tall leather biker boots...

I was quite the 'backrest' in my 20's!

"Why do men like women who wear leather?"

"They smell like a new truck!"

My first alias was Hoss Hungright and my wife hated it so after hearing about it for 5-6  months I started searching for another alias. I was watching a TV show one night and there was a bright yellow corvette driving away and the plate said Yule Luz so I got on the alias look up and my first choice Yul Lose was available.

My paternal grandfather was a doctor who used only his initials with his sirname.....Dr. O. R.  Rooks.

Many doctors in the old west were asked to do some vet work occasionally, so my alias became a play on words.

Dr. or vet.  became  Dr. O. R. Vet?

I thought of several different possibilities, but, guys in my unit felt comfortable calling me "Doc," or "Doc Ward," even after I got my E-6! Truth be told, I'm probably more proud of that fact than the "Esquire" I can hang off the end of my name. It was an earned trust instead of a written test passed, if that makes sense.

Also, before I started CAS, I played a lot of mil-sim paintball on a team, and my "callsign" was Doc, because we were almost all prior combat arms military types. Our other player that served as a medic was a Ranger, so his callsign was, obviously, Ranger.

So, it made sense to me. Just as importantly, I knew I would answer to it.

When I was young (High School) and had not gotten a good control on my temper, several of my Co-workers the local grocery store started calling me Maddog.

My great grandmother's maiden name was McCoy and was from the hills in Southeast Missouri. I remember her although I only met her maybe 5 or 6 times on her farm in outside Bismarck, MO. My dad talks about spending time at Iron Mountain lake growing up which was close to there. I still have the toy wagon I got from her one year on my birthday, her husband had made it by hand. I used it for a gun cart for a couple years and it is currently stored out in the corn crib.

Maddog McCoy

While stationed in Scotland I had a geneology of my name and found out my family built Blarney castle. So I became a remittance man as a younger son who followed Thomas Meagher to the States.

I have a Scots background, and I like the novels of Sir Walter Scott. One of which is "Redgauntlet", a fictional account of a Jacobite rebel.

"Red" fits the Western nickname/alias idea in general well, as does ' gauntlet', a long glove typical of the times, and so it became Red Gauntlet.

Back in the mid-90's I was enamored with the TV series Lonesome Dove - The Outlaw Years, and in particular the character of Clayton Mosby. I liked his get up, leather duster, flat brimmed black hat.

I made up a history for him, based on a few details on his back story from the show.

I recall in my younger years friends in Houston asking me where I was born.  I would proudly say Yazoo City,  Mississippi.  I would get the look like ?????  Older friends now immediately associate Yazoo City with Jerry Clower.  And, yes he was a dear friend of my fathers, even sang in his choir AND held me as a baby.  I chose my birthplace which has a pretty good ring to it!

10 hours ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

I don't know. :lol:

image.thumb.png.e626a3ce2ad7540938c5a431d4af7a5a.png

There's that dang bike again..your making me jealous...show it one more time & well you will have to ship it down -under..:P

My wife and I built our cabin on a beautiful creek here in Kansas called Silver Creek and my grandfather Jack Peters was a U.S. Deputy Marshall in Oklahoma territory in the late 1800s. SCJ

"Loophole" seemed to be a good intersection between my profession and a cowboy's tool.

"LaRue" evolved from a family name (DeLarue) and the alliteration of "L", as well as the common Western actor surname.

Nowadays, most cowboys just call me Loophole.

LL

I live in Fort Worth Texas which is known as Cowtown and I have had continuous registration with the Boy Scouts since I was 8 and I'm now 66. Thus Cowtown Scout

BTW Fort Worth is where the West Begins and Dallas is where the East Peters Out. :P

I liked the idea of charlatans and hucksters traveling from town to town selling "patent medicines" -- the word NOSTRUM is an archaic general term for that sort of fake medicaments and potions.  And I'm a patent attorney, so it had some personal connection, too.  For hundreds of years, most folks have heard of the medieval French astrologer Michel de Nostredame, commonly known in America as Nostradamus, who in 1555 published a book of more than 900 quatrains allegedly predicting future events.  So I thought that NOSTRUM DAMUS was the right sort of name that one of those traveling hucksters of the Wild West period would have adopted and called himself. 

Archived