SASS Wire Forum

10gauge love...

ORNERY OAF

Ok pards and pardettes,

I'm getting a nice 10g double to shoot palerider with. I know I'm going to have to get a new shotgun loader because my lee load-all apparently doesn't. Gonna do black powder of course for my catagory so I need a little advice. I have a really old mecs jr that I am going to try to convert. Or would it just be better to get a new one for bout 300 bucks? Also, any loads? Shot weight and powder grains? May have to experiment a little but I don't mind. I just got another 10g browning so buying a reloader was gonna happen anyway. Comments from the rogues gallery?

I had a 10ga for just a little while (wish I had another one), anyway, I was loading BP in brass shells and started out with a square load (1 1/8 - 1 1/4 grains of shot) and played with it from there. 

If you’re going to get a new MEC I think about converting yours there seems to be a lot of options with that machine. 

A loader will be more trouble than it's worth.  Just use a few primitive tools you likely have. 

Something to punch out the old primer.  A dowl to poke stuff down. Glue of some sort to hold in top card.

Biggest problem with the 10 guage is finding hulls.  Plastic hulls will only last a few shots before they burn through.   Brass hulls are expensive.  Do you have hulls?   Other components?  

I use the brass hulls. Kinda expensive tho!  BP, nitro card, fiber cushion wad, shot, about 1/3 if a fiber wad, then overshot card, then waterglass. Easy Peasy. 

Got hulls because I was gonna reload any way for the browning, but the brass hulls interest me, seem very "old timey" and that's what I like. Not in a big hurry so I can start gathering stuff. I do need to get wads...gonna call mec and see what I can do about converting to 10g...

Not sure if Big Ole Brad is on the wire, but I'm sure someone has his contact info.  He shoots 10 Gage black.  Just give you an idea about his shell loading, his goal is the see how many car alarms he can set off when he shoots.  

Track of the wolf book ordered,thank you, along with some other stuff...I love that place!....my mecs looks a lot older, might just be worth the extra hundy to get a whole new apparatus...coue places for them in stock for 220ish.

2 hours ago, ORNERY OAF said:

Track of the wolf book ordered,thank you, along with some other stuff...I love that place!....my mecs looks a lot older, might just be worth the extra hundy to get a whole new apparatus...coue places for them in stock for 220ish.

Why not give MEC a call at +1-800-797-4632, tell them what you got and what they suggest.  I’ve dealt with them on the phone and were real helpful. 

I use a Mec Jr to de-prime, prime and throw the shot using brass hulls.  It certainly makes things easier, but those steps can all be done with hand tools.  If you roll crimp, you can do that with a roll crimper from Ballistics Products that fits in a drill or drill press.

The Rocky Mountain brass hulls use standard 10 gauge wads, cards, etc.  I have not seen the 10 g brass hulls sold by Track of the Wolf seem to be stamped hulls much like the Mag Tech brass hulls in 12 g and will require 9 gauge components.  The Rocky Mountains hulls are worth the extra money and I have heard of some SASS shooters with more than 3000 reloaded through a Rocky Mountain shotgun hull.

My load is 120 grs (by volume) of either 1F or 2F, whatever is cheaper and I use a 20 gauge hull trimmed to hold 120 grs as a powder scoop  and use 1 1/2 oz of shot using the Mec Jr to drop the shot.  I put some Elmer's Wood Glue on top over the overshot card to keep everything in.  Elmer's White glue would dry out and crack if the hulls were left in a box for a couple of months.

If you decide to buy used Rocky Mountain hulls, make sure you can return them if they don't fit in your shotgun.  I bought some used ones and even with a two ton arbor press I still haven't been able to re-size about 10 of them.

On 8/28/2021 at 11:04 AM, ORNERY OAF said:

Do you always crimp the ends like a 12? On brass, do you put a gas seal on top or just a cardboard wad or what?

For cowboy purposes a cardboard over powder card,  fiber wad(s) and paper overshot card are more than enough.  The only times I use plastic wads with black powder is when I am trying make a couple of boxes of BP rounds for skeet.

I have been shooting eight gauge 4" and ten gauge (now 3- l/2") doubles for 3/4s of a century using brass shells. I have brass dowels for primer decapping, inserting and tamping. I scoop 1-1/2g  powder into a 24" drop tube. I tamp the powder down over a nitro wad add and tamp down 2 fiber wads, add a scoop of 7-1/2 shot, tamp down an over shot wad and glue it with Duco cement. I use 6 gauge wads for my 8 and 8 gauge wads or my 10.

I bought several hundred brass shotgun shells and 200  .50-140 3-1/4" cartridge cases from RMR. I also purchased a ten gauge reloading kit from them.  I buy short 10 gauge shells whenever I can find them at gun shows.I use square shotgun loads. My loads are the maximum that fit the shells.

I use the short tens in my salute cannon and  I sell them to pards that have short tens.

I love the gouts of fire, blinding clouds of smoke and egregious  booms.  

Here are a couple of links that may help

Rocky Mountain Cartridge  They make thick wall brass shells with 209 primers and hand reloading tools.  This is what I have and they are quality products. 

Roberson Cartridge Company  Brass shells with LPP

Shooting Times    Article on BP shotshell reloading

If you’re going to be using brass shells you’ll need to know if they are thin wall (stamped “A”) or thick wall, it will make a difference on what size cards and wads you’d need. 

For the amount of 10ga I was firing I found that hand loading was fast enough, but I wasn’t using 10ga as my main match gun (just something to wake the posse up :D)

Plastic wads will tighten your pattern up.  Also the plastic is melted by the intense and duration of the burn.  Not from BP being grittier.  Exam your plastic wads and you will find the base of the wad is melted, not the sides.

Cut the plastic wad in the middle of the cushion area and rotated it 90 degrees when reloading will make room for the additional bulk of BP.

Five 10 gauge shotguns, and a mix of vintage, modern, and homemade tools to load brass shells, similar to Warden Callaway's kit above. Ninety grains of 1Fg, 2Fg, or even 3Fg and 1 1/8 oz shot works fine. I punch overshot wads from cardboard with the arch punch, and seal them in with Elmer's carpenter's glue. I've broken down vintage 10g brass shells that had 2 1/2 oz of shot. :blink:

Pretty sure Tequila Shooter means 1 1/8 - 1 1/4 ounces of shot, not grains. ;) 1 1/4 grains of shot would be only one or two #7 1/2 pellets.

10gReloadingKit.jpg.09e7eb534695b41a11b3b81a211611fd.jpg

FWIW, I load brass 12s, 20s and .410s. with square loads with 1-1/2fg and 2Fg. I formerly loaded 16s in a  97 but gave all of that stuff to my fellow Marine buddy, Bad Buffalo Bob.

The short tens and the 12s are for loaners  Some of the 12s and all of the 20s and .410s are for Scouts during my council's super popular annual CAS weekend and for our local troop at my home range.

Since I never shoot more than 25 tens during a match, manually loading them one by one is fun rather than a tedious chore.

1 hour ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

Since I never shoot more than 25 tens during a match, manually loading them one by one is fun rather than a tedious chore.

I do my loading during the winter months when there's not much to do to pass the time. Two boxes a day for a week and I'm stocked up for the coming season.  

Archived