SASS Wire Forum

Does your club cater for people with disabilities ie Wheelchairs?

Buckshot Bear

Yes.  Last month we had a limited mobility match, and if we have a wheelchair bound shooter, we will always accommodate them.   

We had a gal who came out who was wheelchair bound, also deaf and dumb.

She was awesome!

She used a sport chair...had a rifle scabbard attached to the back of the chair...her holsters attached around her, just below her knees.

She never would allow help...did what everyone else did.

I think it is great you are thinking of the folks that need the extra boosts to enjoy our game. Good on Ya!

I would like to think we do, but in actuality very few of the clubs I’ve shot at could accommodate a totally wheel chair bound person. Very few have ramps to the stages, ground is very uneven and most props, target placement and openings to shoot through are not proper height for a chair bound person. 

All that being said, a handicapped person would never be sent away from anywhere I’ve ever shot and cowboys would do everything possible to allow them to shoot the stages in a way that could be done safely for them. 

We will do whatever is needed to assist someone to shoot with us.  As long as they can handle their firearms safely, we will make the needed accommodations so they are able to shoot.

The shooting props at Founders Ranch are all on grade or have ramps. They accommodate wheelchairs well. Another local range has barriers.  I only see handicapped shooters at trap ranges.  These ranges are very suitable for wheelchairs.

There, but for the grace of God, go I.

Anything, ANYTHING that a disabled, disadvantaged or challenged shooter requires to play, compete or simply spend time with us - I will do my best to provide.

And if I were to ever witness anyone doing less than the above - heaven help that club or officer.

One of the owners of our club noticed a shooters wife who is wheelchair bound having a hard time with getting into the bathroom.
Next month I noticed they had widened the slab (like doubling its size) and installed a ramp.

Yep we try to do whatever it takes.

On 8/26/2021 at 11:17 PM, Buckshot Bear said:

Does your club cater for people with disabilities ie Wheelchairs?

Mine does and every place I have shot does...We just work threw the small problems...And I make sure I don't shoot my toes off....

Texas Lizard

A while ago, I wrote about the last shoot of @Bama Red

It made me think about how we can be there for our friends, no matter their circumstances.

I hope you read more about it at http://branchwaterjack.com/blog.aspx?post=26

There are many of us who still hold fond memories of our friend 

@Bama Red

3 hours ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

A while ago, I wrote about the last shoot of @Bama Red

It made me think about how we can be there for our friends, no matter their circumstances.

I hope you read more about it at http://branchwaterjack.com/blog.aspx?post=26

There are many of us who still hold fond memories of our friend 

@Bama Red

As a young(ish) shooter I remember Bama Red giving me some advice over the Wire then we communicated for a couple hours off-line.

He was a nice man to take the time.

A great example of the Cowboy Way.

Archived