SASS Wire Forum

Uberti lever action or Winchester action rifle

Quiet Burp

Just going to get into buying gear, what is the most popular rifle that people use for shooting single action the Uberti lever action or Winchester lever action rifle?

I can get a Rossi cheaper, are they ok?

Uberti's are easier to get parts for than a Miroku , at least it's been like that for awhile.

Uberti are easier to find and cheaper.  Much easier to get parts.   However they are lower in quality

Rossi is cheaper and can be smoothed out.  Lighter and stronger.   When loaded correctly they are reliable.  Most cannot outrun them. 

A 73 is easier to run fast. 

Welcome.

That's the highest SASS number I've seen by far...

Shows you're in Australia, not sure what all is available there, so that'll probably be a factor. Best thing to do is visit a match(if you haven't yet)and see what everyone else is using; try before you buy.

If you are beginning to buy, you NEED to get to a few SASS matches FIRST.  Go see the folks shooting several different rifles.  You are making (for most folks) a sizeable investment, and it's VERY easy to buy guns poorly suited for the game unless you see what folks are being successful with.   Spending a little time and money to learn what fits you and your budget will go a long way!

Most folks will end up with a Uberti 73 at some point.  Some folks start with one and then don't shoot anything else.  They are the fast gun, when tuned properly.

good luck, GJ

My first match rifle was a used Marlin...I loved her.

I did win a Rossi...nice, but was 'small' for my frame (my opinion) and sold it to a youngster that needed it. It was a good rifle, but few could slick them to match what a '73 can do.

I bought a used '73 carbine that is now my match gun. And I can run it well, and have been using it now for the past 7 years or so...never an issue.

Shanley's first '73 is now his back up, after issues after 15years.

If the Rossi is what you can afford right now, it will do.

But...in my opinion, you will be much happier with a '73...and it will be with you for a long time.

Model 66, 73 or 92?

For Winchester, modern made in Japan guns, or "real" Winchesters made in Connecticut?

What is your budget?

Those questions will definitely affect the way you want to go.

If you've got the cash, get a real Winchester.  If you look long and hard enough, you may find one that is ugly to look at, but still available for a more reasonable price.

I don't have an Uberti 73,  but I do have an Uberti 66 and a Henry, basically the same action as the 73.   I find the Uberti made guns to be fairly nice, and worth the price.   I got both of them used, which saved me a bit of money.   They Henry was factory stock, and I have not made any modifications to it.  The 66 had been heavily customized, to the point where the slow falling hammer would occasionally not hit the firing pin hard enough to make the primers go bang.  I asked a gunsmith if he could return the gun to "more or less factory specs."  He did so, and it's never given me a lick of trouble since.  It is still, I think slicked up a bit, as it has a very smooth action, but it's not short stroked.   I like it.

I have a real Winchester 73.  It's great gun and has never given me any problems.   

For 92's, I have two real Winchesters, an Armi San Marco, a pre-safety Rossi, and a Chiappa.   I can't find anything to complain about in the Winchesters.  And 92's can be usually be found for less than a 73.   The Armi San Marco had such a horrible action that it was the first gun I ever had an action job done to.   Avoid if you come across one.   The Rossi is a nice gun, it was my original main match rifle, and my first 92.   But after I got the real Winchesters and had the ASM fixed, I realized it was a bit clunky, so I had it smoothed out a little.   Functional out of the box, but you'll prolly want to get some work done on one.  I don't know if the current production ones with the stupid safety are better, worse, or the same as the ones without it.  I did get my brother a current production one for his birthday a couple of years ago, and he did feel the need to get an action job.  The Chiappa is the best 92 on the market today, IMO.   Just as smooth as a real Winchester, and works great out of the box.

Those are my experiences.   Use them to guide you as you see fit, and consider used if you are very much on a budget.

Conversely, if you wanna try something different, consider a Lightning.   (Sorry, I can't resist saying that.)

Okay, if weight is an issue, the 92 is much lighter than the 66s or 73s. If you think you are going to want to go full costume [Classic Cowboy or B Western] look at what will work for those categories. I miss my little Rossi, great little carbines, my 45 especially was a treat. But the 73 does run smoother and the extra weight does not bother me at all.

But as has already been said, go to a couple matches and see what you like first before spending big bucks.

Lots to read and take in with the replies.

I was pretty sure I wanted to go for .45 but doing some searching on here it seems that a lot (not all) western action shooting go for .357 and then shoot .38's out of both their rifles and pistols.

I've got lots to think about before I rush in.

6 hours ago, Quiet Burp said:

I was pretty sure I wanted to go for .45 but doing some searching on here it seems that a lot (not all) western action shooting go for .357 and then shoot .38's out of both their rifles and pistols.

Especially here in Australia you will save quite a bit of $$$ by loading 38 instead of 45....    Unless you plan to shoot Classic Cowboy or REALLY just want to shoot 45's I'd suggest you think VERY hard about that.    The Uberti made 73's (and I suppose 66's though I have no experience with them) are outstanding for CAS.... ONCE TUNED.  I don't know if you have seen what THOSE sell for, if not you may get sticker shock...  The 92's are very strong and can more appropriately do double duty for hunting (if thats a concern) but few people can run them the way many can run a 73.   The Marlin 1894's are also good rifles and have their own following.   Unless budget constraints are paramount (and they might be!!) I would NOT buy a 92 based on the savings over a good 73.. (or Marlin even)   You have already got the best possible advice....get to some matches BEFORE buying anything!!  You will get to see whats in use... and most folks are happy to let you handle and often even shoot their guns...  

Really don't care what you end up buying and shooting, but you do have a fine and dandy alias.:P:D

13 hours ago, Quiet Burp said:

Never rush in!!

We all have extra sets for loan, if your area allows that.

Yes, most use .357 and shoot .38.

Why? Cost factor...cheaper comppnents per $$ to reload. And, if you are going to 'share' guns with grandkids, ect. Many reasons.

11 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Really don't care what you end up buying and shooting, but you do have a fine and dandy alias.:P:D

Good point there...

With an alias like that, you should be shooting a Buntline Special and a (reproduction) S&W American.   Caliber doesn't matter so much as that you must develop mousefart loads for them to be as soft as possible. 

Rifle in same caliber with a 24-30" bbl to muffle the report as much as possible.   Just make sure the load is powerful enough to push the bullet all the way out.  

Not sure how to make shotgun loads quiet.

6 hours ago, Constable Nelson #11784 said:

Especially here in Australia you will save quite a bit of $$$ by loading 38 instead of 45....    Unless you plan to shoot Classic Cowboy or REALLY just want to shoot 45's I'd suggest you think VERY hard about that.    The Uberti made 73's (and I suppose 66's though I have no experience with them) are outstanding for CAS.... ONCE TUNED.  I don't know if you have seen what THOSE sell for, if not you may get sticker shock...  The 92's are very strong and can more appropriately do double duty for hunting (if thats a concern) but few people can run them the way many can run a 73.   The Marlin 1894's are also good rifles and have their own following.   Unless budget constraints are paramount (and they might be!!) I would NOT buy a 92 based on the savings over a good 73.. (or Marlin even)   You have already got the best possible advice....get to some matches BEFORE buying anything!!  You will get to see whats in use... and most folks are happy to let you handle and often even shoot their guns...  

I sure miss seeing you buddy!

Boggus and crew are in the midst of NM State WB as we speak. Held in Roswell this year...so we didn't go down.

I have all 4 (Rossi, Uberti, Marlin & Winchester) & have used all of them at matches.  I would recommend them in this order:

1. Uberti 73 - it's the best choice for a race gun because there are more accessories available than for all the others.  My current main match rifle is a Uberti  73 in 44-40 with 5th gen short stroke & straight trigger.  It is dead reliable shooting BP & damn fast.
  2. Marlin 94 - My choice for shooting smokeless ammo because it too is damn fast but not quite as reliable...plus I just love Marlins.  45 Colt blowby tends to gum up the action after about 8 stages.  You also have to keep a close eye on the bottom receiver screw - if it comes loose, the gun will lock up.  The Marlins I have are all JMs, but I have smoothed up a Remlin for a friend that is a nice little gun.  Looking forward to the Ruglins.
  3. Winchester (Miroku) 73 - A damn fine firearm.  Smooth out of the box, stroke is a little longer than the Uberti with short stroke links, but I can't shoot mine as fast as I can the Uberti.
  4. Uberti 66 - I don't shoot a 66, but Kay Sadeeya does & she loves it.  You can make a 66 as smooth & fast as a 73.
  5. Rossi 92 - The first match rifle I had was a Rossi 92 in 45 Colt with 24" octagonal barrel.  I bought it because I could get a brand new gun for $450, where Ubertis & Marlins were over $800 (in 2011).  Out of the box, it was stiff but smooths up OK.  It is reliable if you cycle the action fully but will always be slow.  I sold that gun, but bought a carbine in 44-40 that I use every now & then just for fun & something different.

As someone mentioned above, the best thing you can do is go to 3 or 4 matches & try out all the models.  I didn't do that & spent money I shouldn't have.

Holler

And consider this....

If you do this long enough, you very well may wind up having 13 Maun Match rifles.

1 Henry (by Uberti)

1 66 (by Uberti)

1 73 (by Winchester)

4 92's (by Winchester, Winchester, Rossi, Armi San Marco)

1 Spencer (by Spencer)

5 Lightnings (2 AWA, 2 Colt, 1 Taurus)

Then all you have to do is say, "What do I want to play with this weekend?" and choose accordingly.

It CAN happen.

But what is shocking is when a fellow like me, who grew up loving the very idea of Winchester lever actions becomes a Colt pump guy.

I shot my 1st cowboy action match in 1985.  I had to borrow a rifle.  It was a Winchester 1892, slickest rifle I've ever handled.  Silly, me, I then proceeded to go out and buy a Rossi 1892... talk about comparisons... a Cadillac to a 1-ton leaf spring, solid axle 4x4 truck!   As Red/Green sez, fixable it you're "a little handy"... And back then, winners were using them... after slickin' em up... but... the fly in the ointment is that there's NOTHING you can do to shorten that stroke.  Whereas with the Uberti you can buy "near" drop in parts to shorten the stroke until you need never move your thumb off the wrist of the rifle... wherein lies the secret to speed.  The less you hand moves, the shorter the time it takes to cycle the action.  As far as I know, The Japanese made Winchester requires modifying the factory parts, as no one is making those links.

The real answer as to which rifle is "best" for you is all to aligned with what your goals are in the game.  As suggested above, and I've said since I first started inviting folks to participate, go to a few matches, ask questions, wait for the offers to try out different guns based on the owner's recommendations...    As far as 45 Colt... powder choices and load densities can vary how clean or dirty a round they can be.  But, based on cost alone, the 38Spl is the way to go.  Whereas you're not worried about knocking stuff of its' feet, (for the most part), you don't need bullets in the 250 grain range,,, and while the 45 Can be loaded with something as light as 150-160, (even a specialty 125) weight... the 38 special has bullets offered as low and 100-110 grains... 

SHORT ANSWER:  get thee  to a match!  Introduce yourself and express your interest.   And yes, great alias!

Have 4 mirokus like them alot. As far as not rush in is good advice BUT if you do rush in and buy something and don't like it then you can buy more guns and thus starts the addiction. I think I need counseling.:D;)

Archived