SASS Wire Forum

Any appliance repair guys out there ?

Buckshot Bob

My dishwasher puked again, same thing as last time and I don’t see the point in fixing it again when it’s 9 years old . 

Who’s making the most reliable dishwasher out there today? I don’t need anything fancy , just clean dishes and reliable 

15 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

My dishwasher puked again, same thing as last time and I don’t see the point in fixing it again when it’s 9 years old . 

Who’s making the most reliable dishwasher out there today? I don’t need anything fancy , just clean dishes and reliable 

If you want something that’s not fancy and reliable do them by hand! :lol:

Now that the silliness  is over.....

Go German; mid-range is Bosch, high-end is Miele.  Both are very quiet, produce very clean dishes (assuming you load and use them properly), and last longer than those you-know-what imports at Home Depot.

LL

17 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Now that the silliness  is over.....

Go German; mid-range is Bosch, high-end is Miele.  Both are very quiet, produce very clean dishes (assuming you load and use them properly), and last longer than those you-know-what imports at Home Depot.

LL

Looking on line it seems Bosh is well rated . What surprised me was how poorly Maytag was rated . I guess the Maytag repairman is not so bored anymore.

I guess appliances aren’t what they used to be the online gurus say 6 to 10 years is the average lifetime of a dishwasher anymore. Mine is at 9 so I’m not sticking anything more into it 

Back in the mid 70’s I worked for an appliance store in Sheridan, Wyoming. I sold appliances and installed them on many occasions when the other installer/repairman was busy. One day I was told to go remove an old dishwasher and install a new one at a house on east so and so street. Back then nobody locked their doors and the instructions were to go in and do the job if no one was home and I did. Later that day the guy that bought the dishwasher called the store wondering when his dishwasher would be installed.

The old sales guy (my boss) had written down east so and so street instead of west on the job ticket. I loaded up the old dishwasher and headed over to the east location to remove the new dishwasher and install the old one but the lady was home and liked her new dishwasher so much she wanted to keep it. It was a GE that had a replaceable front panel and all she wanted was an avocado green front panel to match her other appliance colors, that should have been a tip off that something wasn’t quite right with the first dishwasher. So I headed back to the store and unloaded the old dishwasher, loaded up the new one and went over to the west address and did the removal and install. I did get credit and commission for selling the extra dishwasher much to the dismay of the old guy (my boss) that screwed the order up.

Bosch would be my choice for a dishwasher,  by the way.

I moved into my parents house after they both passed. The first thing I did was sell the dishwasher, it was a free standing one, I'm by myself so I dodn't need no stinkin' dishwasher!:P:lol:

My first  one here lasted about 8 years. Controls failure. The one here now is unfortunately dead now, lasted almost ten years, plus, it was given to us. Had analog controls and did an excellent job. It's a Kenmore. Probably be a while before it gets replaced. Meanwhile, I'm getting dishpan hands.:rolleyes::blink::lol::blush:

I have a Bosch.  It's working well after about five years.  I have to give the controls a shot of contact cleaner occasionally.  It's quiet.  You can hold a conversation in the kitchen without shouting.  It lacks heated drying.  This is a plus and a minus.  It does not ruin most plastic items.  However, I need to leave the door open for a few hours for polyethylene items to completely dry.  I really like the delay wash feature.  I run the dishwasher in the middle of the night to keep my house quiet.

We have a Kenmore close to 25 years old.  It’s just like new, only used by the wife to store pots and pans in.  

My SIL used to store her snacks in their oven. They seldom cooked at home. Was okay until she decided to make something in the oven and forgot the "goodies" were in there. Smoke cleanup to quite a while, she also lost her eyebrows when she opened the oven to try and put it out. Ruined the stove,too.:rolleyes::blink::lol::blush:

I never saw the sense of a dishwasher.

First, you have to wash the dishes before you put them in the dishwasher,:blink: then you have to take the time to load the dishwasher, NO, that's not right, load it again, (wait, are the dishes already in there clean or dirty?).:unsure: Then you UNload it before putting the dishes away.

It takes me MAYBE 10 minutes to wash dishes by hand on a normal day. If I make spaghetti, it takes longer. But on the other hand, most of the big stuff I use to make the spaghetti won't fit in the dishwasher ANYWAY.:wacko:

My wife insisted on one when we bought our place 19 years ago, it's been unused for about 17 of them.:lol:

On 8/25/2021 at 8:02 AM, Texas Lizard said:

Good luck finding one many are, my last time checking, are on backorder....Chips seem to be the problem...And the guy making the insides racks was also backordered....Mine is 20 years, still holding its own...

Texas Lizard

Until the chip supply problems are over the supply of appliances with timer functions will be difficult to find.  The thing that goes tango uniform in today's appliances is the control printed circuit board.  If the mfg's were concerned about long life they would burn in the circuit boards for a week and they would pot they & use plug-in contactors or solid state relays.   The problem with that is it would add hundreds to the cost.

Archived