SASS Wire Forum

Eldorado 2021 - Stages and Stage Writing

Creeker, SASS #43022

I believe it is called the butterfly effect - a seemingly unrelated thing that may set many other things in motion.

The Eldorado Cowboys lost our club President Ace of Hearts recently.

But even tho we still carry a heavy heart - Time demands the club move forward. 

Part of that movement was the placement of Beaver as the new President of The Eldorado Cowboys.

A fantastic choice - Beaver brings an energy and enthusiasm to the position that has been missing for a number of years.

Another component of this move forward is I, yup me  - Creeker, have been asked to "mentor" and give my input on stage writing and the Eldorado brand of stage writing in particular.

Unfortunately with Ace's passing; there were challenges finding his drafts and ideas for Eldorado 2021 - so we have been tasked with creating an exciting, fun match worthy of the Eldorado brand in 60 days.

And we will.

My home office is convenient to me and I aint doing a lot else right now - so this is my promise to you.

I will work as hard as I have in me to assist Beaver in writing and creating a shoot deserving of the name Eldorado.

So if you have perhaps enjoyed the Eldorado method of Big and Fast - Movement and sequence variety Creeker style in the past - here is another chance to do it again.

I am incredibly proud that I was approached by Beaver and the Board of the Eldorado Cowboys to assist with this project and I am hoping that those who can; 

give Eldorado another chance. 

We will do our best to not disappoint.

Spent a few hours discussing stage writing, philosophy and ideas for Eldorado with Beaver and his lovely family this evening.

Apparently my ability to jabber is returning.

We looked at previous events; Eldorado and others and took them apart - where a stage can be fun and where they can go wrong.

We discussed and agreed on the importance of "giggles" - you know giggles; those stages that you come off of pumping your fist with a stupid grin across your face - not because it was 13 seconds; but because it was so much stinking fun.

We are going to provide as many of those moments as we can.

For World Champions, for Grande Dames and for Buckaroos.

And lastly; there will be no - NO charcoal poppers.

Ill keep you updated.

Creeker,   I have been writing our stages for a few years now and am always happy to share. https://www.dhicowboys.com/stages-1

I have stages logged back a couple of years (and a couple years in the future written already, LOL) and am always willing to talk stage writing.

I'm sure you will put on a great match! All my best.

I’ll be there, can’t wait. The warden (Mrs. Lose) gave me permission this morning.

3 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

They've not stooped to asking you to MC the banquet, have they? :blink:

:lol:

They have not.

Beaver probably thinks Im even more of a jerk than I am - but I have benn being adamant with him that to be successful as President and return the club/ events to glory - that he has to make Eldorado his.

I have offered to help in any capacity I can or am able to do so (and right now - that is limited) - but it is time for a new generation at the helm.

I will do my absolute best to teach the newly composed board my thoughts on what makes a fun, inviting match.

And hopefully they will take that even further than I was ever able to.

The Board is being thrust into unfamiliar waters but I have full faith in their ability, energy and enthusiasm to turn adversity into victory.

This will be a sparsely attended Eldorado.

We know that.

Travel fears, event costs and past mistakes have all taken a toll on attendence and reputation.

But Beaver said a couple things last evening that reassure me that he has the right attitude to lead Eldorado and gives me great hope for the future.

1.  Beavers first drafts of his stages had a LOT of facades and decor items.  Now, personally - I have always been from the school that anything you put out - you have to put away.  When I mentioned my thoughts to him.  His response was, "I'm doing that on purpose - I want folks to know; 50 shooters or 250 shooters - we are always going to try to provide the best Eldorado we can."

(I may still keep trying to whittle down the extras - but I love the enthusiasm).

2.  As we went thru his stages and ideas - I repeatedly told him that most were good functional stages.  

And I tried to critique without being critical.

Eventually he stopped me, "You're not going to hurt my feelings.  I was pretty sure they were good stages - but I asked for your help - because simply good is not good enough".

I always had that same attitude about Eldorado.  Every event I was ever part of - there was always a part of me wishing I had a couple more days to tweak or paint.  To reword the stage description.  To fix every possible discerned "flaw" - imaginary or not.

Good was never going to be good enough.

Again this type of attitude excites me about what the future holds and what Eldorado may return to.

Staytuned.

2 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

I’ll be there, can’t wait. The warden (Mrs. Lose) gave me permission this morning.

Yul, we are honored by your presence.

Folks, look up class in the Dictionary and while there is not really a picture of Yul there - there should be.

19 minutes ago, Ramblin' Rose SASS #2811 said:

Creeker,

So happy to hear you are feeling better and will be part of Eldorado. We were not planning to attend, but hearing this news we hope to be there. We are hoping you continue to improve quickly.

We are so excited that you are willing to give Eldorado another chance.

I am improving everyday and the excitement I have at the rebirth of Eldorado might just be a factor.

We look forward to seeing you there.

I have to be honest with everyone - numbers dont lie and based on the applications coming in - this will be a small Eldorado.

But those that do honor us with your presence - we are promising to do our very best to give you a shoot worthy of the name Eldorado.

The banquet is booked at the country club and barring any unforeseen circumstances - we will all be enjoying our prime rib dinners, sides and desserts in air conditioned and carpeted comfort.

Hopefully what we do this year and in the years forward encourage our friends to return and bring their friends.

Eldorado won the SASS Wooly award for shoot of the year not that long ago.

With your support - we will return Eldorado to the match it is meant to be.

1 hour ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

AS HE ONCE SAID:  "I'LL BE BACK!!!!"

We're certainly going to try.

In reviewing stages - I have couple of exciting points.

The HALLWAY stage is making a return to Eldorado.

For folks that have not shot the hallway stage - it has a bit of everything.

A smoking fast sequence.

Vertical staging.

4 shooting positions.

6 shotgun engaged from 3 different positions.

Downrange movement.

Windows/ doors and fun.

This is the stage that sold Painted Lady on Cowboy, because, in her words, this stage makes her feel like a Bada$$.

The other exciting thing is the Eldorado record stage will be returning this year as well.

This stage consists of a giant half moon target - two large wolf targets and then another large plate.  

All placed close to the firing line.

Then a second position with two SG knockdowns.

Round count is 10 - 10 - 6

At the beep - the shooter has to engage each target 6 times any order.

Each target must be engaged at least 1x with each type firearm (P, R and SG)

Then the shooter moves and engages the two SG targets.

Current record is 16 seconds by Hells Comin.

Hope to see this record challenged this year.

41 minutes ago, Hells Comin said:

Bet u $50

That I will not be the one making a run at your time this year?  You're on.

Right now - If I could do it under 30 without an IV and oxygen - I would be amazed.

21 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Right now - If I could do it under 30 without an IV and oxygen - I would be amazed.

Get well my friend.

I  was in my prime when I ran that time. 

1 hour ago, Hells Comin said:

Sounds like Eldorado is go to be a great match again. 

You can add

Leadfinger 

Katie Lawless 

Reverend Leadslinga and

Hells comin to the who's coming 

We are going to do our very best.

And if they let me talk at the banquet - I already have a couple jokes.

Painted Lady just told me that actually might not be a draw...

Well, a couple more stages are coming into focus.

We now have an outhouse for the range - other than the bright blue ones that in 105 degree heat can become "interesting".

So add another place to start from, shoot from and relax in.

Complete with a bucket of corn cobs (apparently the Montgomery Wards catalogs have not yet shown up).

I mentioned the corn cobs to Desert Scorpion and even with her years of shooting, old west immersion and the like - I had to explain to her why there were corn cobs.

Her response was a resounding "ewww".

I am also working with Beaver to help him remember that a match can be whatever we want it to be

That fun and funny are welcome even at a "serious high stakes state championship".

I think too many match directors have forgotten that.

I hear match directors saying how this match is a "championship" and should be a challenge and test of this or that.

What happened to the old adage,

"We are grown adults, in broad daylight, in public - walking around dressed up like cowboys.  Should we really be taking ourselves so seriously?"

Lets laugh again - have some fun.

Throw a corn cob from the outhouse at a bad guy.

Hope to see you at Eldorado.

On 8/28/2021 at 9:50 AM, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Lets laugh again - have some fun.

Throw a corn cob from the outhouse at a bad guy.

Hit the bad guy and win a raffle ticket for a bottle of Jack?  That would add to the fun!

1 hour ago, Doc Shapiro said:

add to the fun!

Those four words have been my mantra for a number of years - but never more than this year.

2020 and 2021 have sucked in so many ways.

I really have zero need to be tested, challenged or explore my limits any further this year.

I just want to have fun.

Laugh and be silly - spend a few days PLAYING again.

For me personally - I am celebrating being alive.

Spending time that I wasnt sure I was going to have with my wife, my daughter, my friends; I don't want to be pissed off or frustrated - I just want to laugh.

Add to the fun.  

Its not a bad thing to try to live up to.

13 minutes ago, calamityannie said:

Calamity Annie and Ringo’s apps are in the mail as of yesterday. Looking forward to the match. Glad to hear you’re feeling (a little) better Creeker.

Im getting there.  A little bit each day.

But everyday I find something I couldn't do a week ago; I can do today.

Everyday from here on out is a gift from God and it would be a sin to waste them.

I have no intention of doing that.

We are going to have some fun at Eldorado.

• 1 month later...
On 8/26/2021 at 8:02 PM, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I'll PM you my address so you know where to send the ✔ 

6 hours ago, Hells Comin said:

I'll PM you my address so you know where to send the ✔ 

Still trying to get stamina back and two broken arms isnt helping. 

I think the dual arm braces would have hindered both gunfighter style and loading the 97. 

I heard you won a bunch of the individual stages tho.

8 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Still trying to get stamina back and two broken arms isnt helping. 

I think the dual arm braces would have hindered both gunfighter style and loading the 97. 

I heard you won a bunch of the individual stages tho.

I want to thank you for contributing to Eldorado this year and hopefully many more. 

This is one of the best matches that I've attended. 

Beaver and crew   Were outstanding.

Get well soon my friend. 

Ps

One of the corn cobs from stage 2 should be delivered to you anytime NOW. Lol

Looking forward to attending next year.   Those I have talked to said it was a blast.    I talked to said it was a championship match.

On 10/3/2021 at 3:30 PM, Beartrap SASS#57175 said:

Although I wasn't able to make the match, I've already heard from some members of our club and they've all said they had a great time. Job well done, congratulations!

On 10/6/2021 at 12:03 PM, Ramblin' Rose SASS #2811 said:

Hells Comin says it all. We had a great time and certainly missed seeing you.Wishing you a speedy recovery.

15 hours ago, Kirk James said:

Looking forward to attending next year.   Those I have talked to said it was a blast.    I talked to said it was a championship match.

Beaver and his team along with volunteers did a great job.

The range looked great - I didnt even know the club owned that much stuff to decorate with.

And Beaver did a great job blending my and his ideas to create traditional Eldorado stages (big, fast, fun) that over time he will be able to make completely his own.

Now, I'm very proud that the term "Creeker style stage writing" means something and is a draw for some to attend a match - I am certain that the term "Beaver style match" will soon have the same draw to it.

Ill continue to stick my nose in and offer my input (even when it is not asked for) maybe especially when its not asked for.

But Beaver, Quickly Downunder, Mojave Rose, Dookie and Lady Glitter put on a heck of a match - especially starting from scratch only 60 days from the event.

The Eldorado Cowboys are in good hands for many years into the future.

Archived