SASS Wire Forum

Working on a YellowBoy

Buckshot Bear

I don't have a Yellowboy yet but I have a hankering for one (love talking cowboy!).

Having had the sideplates off the '73 for a gander at its innards, I'm just wondering how do you work on a Yellowboy with no sideplates?

The 66 or Yellowboy have side plates. It's one extra screw to remove and they have beveled edges that have to sit just so unlike the 73 that the plates just sit over top. The internals are the same with the exception of the lever safety on the 73.

1 minute ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

The 66 or Yellowboy have side plates. It's one extra screw to remove and they have beveled edges that have to sit just so unlike the 73 that the plates just sit over top. The internals are the same with the exception of the lever safety on the 73.

Thanks for the reply. They don't stand out in pics.

14 minutes ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

Wife and myself watched The Magnificent Seven last night, and there were mostly shooting '66's .......they are a great looking rifle.

1 hour ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

The edges on the side plates are sharp!! The first time I cleaned mine I cut up my hands pretty good. Now when I handle the side plates I wear leather gloves. It's trickier getting the 66 back together. 

I have both Yellowboy and 73 model Ubertis. I love the beauty of the Yellowboy and it is fun to display and shoot! Having said that, it is indeed a little trickier to get back together and sharp edges and all. One main thing you may consider when shopping, the 73s are much more common in our sport and much easier to buy already slicked up than the Yellowboy! Buying used already slicked up can save you anywhere from $300 to $600 bucks. I'm just sayin! The popular 73 is also a lot easier to resale. My Yellowboy is my backup now. Happy Trails!

18 hours ago, Raven Law Dog said:

I have both Yellowboy and 73 model Ubertis. I love the beauty of the Yellowboy and it is fun to display and shoot! Having said that, it is indeed a little trickier to get back together and sharp edges and all. One main thing you may consider when shopping, the 73s are much more common in our sport and much easier to buy already slicked up than the Yellowboy! Buying used already slicked up can save you anywhere from $300 to $600 bucks. I'm just sayin! The popular 73 is also a lot easier to resale. My Yellowboy is my backup now. Happy Trails!

And that is almost certainly even MORE true Down Under!

When I bought my 66 there was also a 73 available.(both previously owned) The 66 was much better looking to my eye. That said if I were to get another 44wcf it would be a 73. They are a bit easier to take apart and yes the edges are sharp on the 66 but I took care of that. But after taking it apart a few times it is really no big deal. Have recently gotten a Miroku Winchester 73 in .38spcl as a backup rifle for my wife and myself. Its a plain Jane in comparison to the 66.

Hochbauer

Cleaning takes a little more time and like Chili Pepper said, beware of the very sharp side plate edges.  They tap out but be very careful and do not be in a rush. Use non-marring nylon tools. 

1 hour ago, Hashknife Cowboy said:

Cleaning takes a little more time and like Chili Pepper said, beware of the very sharp side plate edges.  They tap out but be very careful and do not be in a rush. Use non-marring nylon tools. 

Are you thinking of the Henry?  The '66 sideplates are only angled on the front edge, so they come out sideways.  No tapping needed.  

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Get one in 38-40 or 44-40 and you'll only have to take the side plates off once a year.

My 66 carbine is 38-40 and I am not sure I have had the side plates off but maybe one time many years ago. :ph34r:

A couple of years ago my intention was to buy a used '66 from to serve as a back up for my '73, but the first time I fired it I know it would become my main match gun and the '73 would be my backup.  That's because someone had slicked that '66 up so much it worked far better than my slicked up '73!  In the beginning it took me a long time to get the '66 back together and working right after taking it apart to clean it.  But then I discovered that if I would insert the lever screw through the side plate, lever, and lifter and let it stay there, with the side plate loose and hanging upside down, while I put in the toggles and set the right lever spring in place, then tilted the gun toward me (so the right lever spring would stay in place), then put the left lever spring in place and slightly tighten it, then put the right plate on, then rotated the left plate into place, tightened the lever screw, added and tightened the other plate screw, then finally tightened the two lever spring screws, it would all work.  Before I did it that way, the gun wouldn't lever the first couple of times I tried to put it together because the right lever spring would slip out of place at some point and I would have to take it apart and put it back together a few times until I got it right.  I hope this helps.

Archived