SASS Wire Forum

Creekers Covid Journey

Creeker, SASS #43022

Prayers up for complete recovery Creeker. 

thanks for posting this. I hope all my Pards will put politics aside and just get the shot. Maybe your story will tip the scales for them. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Creeker, your a good man and your courage and strength have served you well.  I pray that in time you will make a full recovery and I feel the need to say that sharing your experience was the right thing to do and I hope that it will help others.  Being almost 68 myself, already disabled, pretty much the same body style as you, type 2 diabetic, and prone to respiratory issues anyway, I feel like I'm a prime candidate to die from this virus and couldn't get my vaccination shots quickly enough.  I am also ready to get in line for a booster as soon as available and so far have been Covid free.  

While I would fight for someone's right to choose and the freedoms that allow it, I am baffled by the number of people who refuse to get the Covid vaccinations.  There are some that due to medical issues probably should not get it, but otherwise the smart thing to do for family, friends, Country, and the entire world for that matter, is to get the Covid shots and as soon as possible.  Unless we can get to a point that's called "herd immunity" the virus is just going to mutate again and become even more difficult to control.  Millions have now had the shots with very few problems, so I see no further valid reason to be afraid to get them and as you have so appropriate stated, there is nothing political about it at all.  It's just the right thing to do for so many reasons.  Thanks for sharing your experience with us and best of luck to you and yours!

So glad your on the mend Creeker, my wife and adult children got the shots as soon as they were available and so very glad we did, and will be taking the booster if our doctor recommends it this fall. I have seen the ravages of this awful disease on too many folks and death came way to early to a few. Politics are as deadly as any disease in our country and it’s a damn shame it has played a role with this virus. God bless you and your family and hope you are back in great health soon. SCJ

Creeker

Good to hear you are on the mend. 
Me and Tullamore Dew had COVID in December. I fortunately did not have it as bad as you, Tullamore was close to what you had. I ended up having to take care of her and me during our illness. Recovery time was about 5 weeks for me and about 7 weeks for Tullamore. We goth struggled with brain fog, lack of stamina and strength for a while. 
We are now both fully vaccinated. Neither of us want to catch that crap again. 

Well hang in there Creeker Our thoughts & prayers are still coming your way for you & yours, God Bless.

JRJ & SP

Creeker, 

Hopefully people will listen to your story, thank you for sharing it. I'm glad you are on the mend, yes it will take time. I'm a Respiratory Therapist of 27 years, this last year and a half have been the worst myself and coworkers have ever seen. Regarding the vaccine, I believe in a person's choice, but it's getting harder by the day to continue that belief. Personally I'm very tired of people young and old telling me "I don't want to die", but I know I'm taking to a dead person. This virus is terrible and people not immediately affected just don't believe it. 

Tully

Creeker; I glad that you made it through your ordeal and happy that your family avoided it. I am the same age as your mother. I was one that Dusty Devil Dale made contact with when a small window opened up early in the vaccine program, and my wife and I got vaccinated. We are ready to jump at the chance to get a booster when it is available. I know so very many in this game... many friends and even some family members that just do not take this covid serious. They are constantly quoting conspiracy theories about the vaccine. As you said, it's up to them but I hope and pray that they change their mind and get vaccinated.... even if they do on the side and keep it a secret. I truly wish you well and pray for your complete recovery and your families continued avoidance of this deadly killer. 

Snakebite

Wow … you went shooting (saw some SASS friends I guess) … hip-hopped hotel/motels for 8 days … hit restaurants etc … you really spread yourself (infected self??) around. eusa_doh.gif.d09f29591fe71d2d3a740bfe945ad686.gif

A contact tracer's nightmare …

I wish you and anyone else that has gotten wacked this hard (and lived to talk about it) a speedy and complete recovery. s9.gif.cedff5b434f0667ba88c78e3bf8fbd56.gif

Despite whatever else I might think .. I greatly appreciate you posting your experience. 

Very appropriate … timely. 

5 hours ago, Tully Mars said:

Creeker, 

Hopefully people will listen to your story, thank you for sharing it. I'm glad you are on the mend, yes it will take time. I'm a Respiratory Therapist of 27 years, this last year and a half have been the worst myself and coworkers have ever seen. Regarding the vaccine, I believe in a person's choice, but it's getting harder by the day to continue that belief. Personally I'm very tired of people young and old telling me "I don't want to die", but I know I'm taking to a dead person. This virus is terrible and people not immediately affected just don't believe it. 

Tully

My grandson is a cardiovascular intensive care nurse.  They get all of the ECMO and intubation patients.  Death surrounds him.

Hats off to all of the medical community that has to deal with this every day.

1 hour ago, Patagonia Pete said:

Wow … you went shooting (saw some SASS friends I guess) … hip-hopped hotel/motels for 8 days … hit restaurants etc … you really spread yourself (infected self??) around. eusa_doh.gif.d09f29591fe71d2d3a740bfe945ad686.gif

Since I had no symptoms or issue until the last day or so in the hotel - I wasn't aware that I was at any risk of spreading anything before I was myself ill.

My understanding is a couple days before symptoms is when I began to be contagious to others - so well after I had shot with my SASS friends.

And I certainly wasn't traveling the country randomly wet coughing in everyones face.

@Creeker, SASS #43022 I too am on the mend from COVID. Everyone listen to what his experience was with this disease. My experience was about 85% of what Creeker described, but I managed to stay out of the hospital and lost only about 25 pounds. I was of the opinion that the politics on both sides of Covid we’re making it impossible to get a true picture of what is happening with it. After Me and Moonshine Millie both went through the ordeal I too urge you to take a good look at life around you without you in it! Sadly I’ve also experienced the bigotry of being a “dirty” person after having Covid. The  brain fog is about gone for me, but still almost no taste and only very little smell. I am getting my stamina back now but am needing more rest breaks during the day to reenergize. Thanks for your words Creeker!

6 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Since I had no symptoms or issue until the last day or so in the hotel - I wasn't aware that I was at any risk of spreading anything before I was myself ill.

My understanding is a couple days before symptoms is when I began to be contagious to others - so well after I had shot with my SASS friends.

And I certainly wasn't traveling the country randomly wet coughing in everyones face.

Well I wouldn't know .. I am certainly no Covid expert??!? 

The CDC site says "Symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure to the virus." and I assume (since they said so) that some people get it and never have any symptoms at all ... (can't beat that!!) ...  

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/symptoms-testing/symptoms.html

It's magic for all I know ...  

1 hour ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

That time lag of blind contagion is the core problem causing the epidemic's spread.  People aren't just being indecent or inconsiderate.  If they could know immediately when they are infected, they could and would take precautions for others.   But the viral incubation time means you have no way to know you are infected for several days prior to having symptoms, and so you go about life normally, like a Typhoid Mary.   

That is precisely why folks ought to be CHOOSING to get vaccinated and to use all of the other personal recommended

protective measures whenever

they will be in the company of others.  Even with all of those measures deployed, they cannot 

protect 100% of us from this virus.  But it is all that we have--- all that medical science has been able to put into our preventive arsenal. 

Take away all the politics and media hype and the choices are fairly clear and easy.  Conspiracy theories aside,  just realize that this virus is here, it is not some political hoax, and it makes its living by infecting and killing humans.   

And, sadly, many doctors are essentially committing malpractice by neglect as Creeker experienced.

If you had cancer, they would not normally just send you home but work to help to reduce your suffering.
But the CDC, etc are forcing them to avoid using well know, safe medicines that could greatly help.

We are praying for the folks suffering from this as well as the many suffering from reactions to the shots.

Another few days have passed. 

I feel somewhat human from time to time - but energy and stamina are gone.

My grandson is playing football - 10 years old and not quite as violent as my entry into the game - but football nonetheless.

He has lost weight from the beginning of practice season - first games are yet to come - so I say lets get him a new pair of pants - a little smaller.

I ask his mom where they bought his pants and she tells me Dicks Sporting Goods - now while I have sworn to never step foot in Dicks again - this is my grandson in need.

Feeling that illusion of energy - we go to Dicks to buy a pair of pants (my mask firmly in place)

Park the car; walk from the parking lot to the doors and walk inside.

In that short trip - I am sucking air like Rosie O'Donnell mile 3 at the Boston Marathon.

I detest Amazon nearly as much as Dicks and as soon as we walked in - I said, "Order them online - I need to go home".

That was my day.  My BIG event was a car ride and 30 yard walk in a parking lot.

And then back home and in bed.

Ill be back - I have decided I am too stubborn to do anything else.

But for just a little prick - I could have "maybe" avoided all this?

8 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

back home and in bed...

If the sun is up, get out of bed! And stay out of it! IANAD, but had some weird illness before it was a thing.

I think the only reason I did not end up on my back in a hospital is I did not give in to my desire to be on my back at home.

Going up three steps  would do me in.

On edit: Wasn't Rosie going to move to Canada 4 years ago? Did their health system refuse her entry or something?

10 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Another few days have passed. 

Well you were able to get out somewhere!! That's pretty good!!

Soooooo .. you must have one of those "finger" oxygen meter thingies ... (gives you a blood oxygen saturation level reading)

Where are  you ... 80/90% ?? 

1142605282_fingermeter.jpg.9c72463ec75e7e324f716233f43e3e55.jpg

Creeker, I hope you have a full recovery with none of that "long covid" I hear about. Just heard from a friend back east that I lost touch with in June that got it and still has some residual problems.

My 84 yo brother died up in Nor Cal last week, his wife had it and is fine now. My daughter, Rusty Rita, and her husband both have it back in Oklahoma. I got my shot today.

Until last week I could say I didn't know anybody that had it other than online, but now...

1 hour ago, Patagonia Pete said:

Well you were able to get out somewhere!! That's pretty good!!

Soooooo .. you must have one of those "finger" oxygen meter thingies ... (gives you a blood oxygen saturation level reading)

Where are  you ... 80/90% ?? 

1142605282_fingermeter.jpg.9c72463ec75e7e324f716233f43e3e55.jpg

My o2 levels for the last couple weeks have been mid to high 90's.

During my questionable period - I was dropping to mid 80's.

Which then Painted Lady was immediately masking me and tracking.

But according to the Dr - some of my bounceback on o2 is I am a life long non smoker.  I had no lung function diminishment of note to deal with.

And apparently, pneumonia and the such is one of the primary ways Covid takes folks out.

Creeker you’re a hell of a good man to post this!  You have my unending respect!  I’ve never met you but hope to have that opportunity some day.

I’m 83, have lymphoma, pulmonary fibrosis and asthma, so my wife and I got the vaccine as soon as we could.  (And will get the booster when it’s available).  Maybe your very moving account of your ordeal will move some of the doubters to get the vaccine.  I’ve never seen an opportunity for so much reward for so little risk.  Anyone who can do basic math should be able to understand.

Thanks again Creeker for your elegant testimony!

Our prayers are with you during your recovery!!!!!

1 hour ago, Mad Dog Jack, SASS #77862 said:

Until last week I could say I didn't know anybody that had it other than online, but now...

I've lost count of the people I know that have had it. Too many of which either died or like Creeker are taking weeks/months to recover.

I have a friend on the local hospital board. Of the 89 people currently in the hospital with a confirmed case of C-19 all but 1 are un-vaccinated. 

He got vaccinated early on and tested positive on the 15th. Talked to him this evening on my way to work and he let me know he tested negative. I have been keeping touch each day as he lives alone. Monday and Tuesday of last week he felt really bad like he had the flu, but today he reported that he felt pretty good.

I had a friend with a severe case as well. He, too, was sent home with no treatment until he was hospitalized. He's doing better now. 

I'd like to know why there is ZERO approved or recommended early therapeutic protocol for this illness. You are on your own until hospitalized.  They could start treatment earlier and possibly avoid disease progression.  

Seems like we could do better from a medical standpoint.  

On 8/24/2021 at 6:58 PM, Ripsaw said:

I had a friend with a severe case as well. He, too, was sent home with no treatment until he was hospitalized. He's doing better now. 

I'd like to know why there is ZERO approved or recommended early therapeutic protocol for this illness. You are on your own until hospitalized.  They could start treatment earlier and possibly avoid disease progression.  

Seems like we could do better from a medical standpoint.  

I think the biggest problem has been insufficient facilities.  Most hospital ICU units are overfilled with C19 patients.  In my area, Clovis, Ca, the hospitals all have their ERs converted into ICU units, and inpatients for other things are also forced into overcrowding,, with extra beds per room,, and some getting treated on gurneys in offices and hallways. 

C19 patients cannot be mixed with the rest of the hospital population, so most non-C19  emergency medicine is taking place outside in tents in the parking lots.  My nearest hospital has an ER tent set up in their parking garage. 

I drove by for a look at one hospital a number of months ago.  I saw 6 treatment  tents in the parking lot, 3 refrigeration truck morgues, and a broken leg being cast while sitting in the back of a parked SUV. 

My neighbor is the head of emergency medicine at one of the largest of those hospitals.  He tells me that since Feb 2020, he has had 2 patient beds in his admin office.  

Regarding therapy:  (updated in a later post, below)

So make no mistake about it, the overwhelmed hospitals are running at full speed 24-7 to take care of the critically ill patients that they receive.   But with facilities so crowded and overtaxed, patients less than "Critical" are having to be sent home, where they are watched, pending becoming critical.  

It's also important to understand that the environment around hospitals right now is quite infectious.  Patients being admitted for many other illnesses are often more likely to have their cardiac, kidney, stroke, or other illness compounded by the C19 infection that they pick up in the hospital.  Same risk exists for medical personnel.  

l

2 hours ago, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

Creeker you’re a hell of a good man to post this!  You have my unending respect!  I’ve never met you but hope to have that opportunity some day.

I’m 83, have lymphoma, pulmonary fibrosis and asthma, so my wife and I got the vaccine as soon as we could.  (And will get the booster when it’s available).  Maybe your very moving account of your ordeal will move some of the doubters to get the vaccine.  I’ve never seen an opportunity for so much reward for so little risk.  Anyone who can do basic math should be able to understand.

Thanks again Creeker for your elegant testimony!

Booster is available. Got mine at Walgreens 2 Saturdays ago.

5 hours ago, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

Creeker you’re a hell of a good man to post this!  

There have been a couple posts alluding to my decency or bravery.

I'm neither.

I'm just a guy.

I dont have any medical training to assist anyone.

I dont have the finances to help anyone.

All I have (thank you to SASS) is a conduit to express my opinions and the ability to do so in a relatively compelling way.

I have faced death before - but in the blink and you'll miss it manner.

The car wreck that is finished as it happens and you look at a crumpled ball and play what if in your head about inches and angles.

The gun that appears in the dark and then your own comes out - and you play what if as parties choose to disappear rather than continue.

These are moments where death was possible - but by the time you are thinking about the possibility; the moment has gone.

This was different - this was my own body betraying me not for a brief moment of a injury - but ongoing and without foreseeable end. 

Giving me plenty of time to consider my past, my future, my lack of readiness and preparation to exist no longer.

And plenty of time to experience fear.

But worse; plenty of time to see the pain and fear I was bringing to my loved ones.

And the worse thing I have ever felt was helplessness at thinking I was no longer going to be able to provide for and protect my family.

Believe me.

I'm not brave or decent.

I'm just using the few skills I possess to convey what I experienced to hopefully keep others from feeling those same feelings of fear and helplessness.

It's not the flu - it's not imaginary.

It aint about ego or political posturing.

Covid kills.

And what it doesn't kill; it destroys.

No decency - no bravery.

I, by the grace of God, the love and care of my family and probably a ton of luck -survived this and I just don't want to lose any friends from something that can be avoided.

All the very very best to you.

I hope you improve daily and feel better each and every day.

My wife and I are double Pfizer vaxxed, its about to get very bad here in Australia. We've escaped the waves that other countries have been through. Even being double vaxxed its still bloody scary,  eventually our vaccination and our immune system will get tested when we come in contact with someone infected.

10 hours ago, Ripsaw said:

This is what I don't understand.

An acquaintance who lives a few blocks from me got recently covid, she went to the hospital and got an infusion of monoclonal antibiotics.  

17 minutes ago, Cemetery said:

This is what I don't understand.

An acquaintance who lives a few blocks from me got recently covid, she went to the hospital and got an infusion of monoclonal antibiotics.  

If your doctor is woke, then there aren't any effective treatments.  If you doctor is a normal human being you have options.

3 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

If your doctor is woke, then there aren't any effective treatments.  If you doctor is a normal human being you have options.

It's a lot better to rely on yourself and not let the virus catch you in the first place. 

Get yourself and loved ones vaxed x 3, 

Mask up with N95,

Social distance and avoid tight crowds wherever you can,

Shop in the morning before store air gets contaminated,

Listen to your doctors,

Use common sense.   

Archived