SASS Wire Forum

Creekers Covid Journey

Creeker, SASS #43022

Creeker,  My wife & I live 8 miles out of the county seat of a rural county in  N NV.   We are both in our 70's; so, we got the 1st jab the 1st day the county had a vaccination clinic.  Even though our body's reaction to the vaccine was worse than any other vaccine it was well worth a few days of discomfort to avoid a Covid infection.  With the Delta variant infecting the vaccinated the infection symptoms are less severe than for the unvaccinated.   It seems that the immunity from the mRNA vaccines, Moderna & Pfizer diminishes rapidly; so, it is likely that to stay safe you will need a jab every 8 mo's to prevent a symptomatic infection.

P.S.  Today the Covid vaccines are the most accessible of any vaccine ever.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@J.D. Daily I think you may be right about the need for a booster. It’s amazing the difference age makes. The Iron Cowboy (16) started feeling bad Saturday evening, tested positive Sunday, and is almost over it completely already.

I hope things are continuing to improve @Creeker, SASS #43022

26 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

@J.D. Daily I think you may be right about the need for a booster. It’s amazing the difference age makes. The Iron Cowboy (16) started feeling bad Saturday evening, tested positive Sunday, and is almost over it completely already.

I hope things are continuing to improve @Creeker, SASS #43022

And how are you and Shootin' Sharyn doing?

8 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

It's a lot better to rely on yourself and not let the virus catch you in the first place. 

Get yourself and loved ones vaxed x 3, 

Mask up with N95,

Social distance and avoid tight crowds wherever you can,

Shop in the morning before store air gets contaminated,

Listen to your doctors,

Use common sense.   

Don't forget to wash your hands.

And stop touching your face!

Just now, Captain Bill Burt said:

We were both vaccinated and both had slight runny noses and coughs, but those are gone now. We’ll skip shooting Saturday to be safe then back to business as usual.

Oh, for some reason I thought you hadn't been vaccinated; but nonetheless glad you didn't get too sick. I had the real deal right after Christmas, it was pretty terrible. 

Apologies !

My MD (Internist) wife read my earlier post and corrected me about monoclonal antibody therapy.  Apparently my earlier info was old and dated, as the medicine surrounding C19 has rapidly progressed.  Here's more current info. 

Monoclonal antibodies are now in rapid production by the pharmaceutical industry, and are much more available now than they were one year ago.  Their cost has dropped substantially based on Fed govt subsidies.  They now cost between $1,500- $3,000 per infusion, depending on venue.  Fed government has apparently bought up thousands of doses and is allocating them to states based on population and perceived rates of new infections.   

The antibodies are of little value if they are administered late in a course of infection, after the C19 virus has already attached to too many cells.  So they are being infused to patients who are still being managed as outpatients, prior to becomming critical enough for hospitalization.  

Emergency rooms are following protocols and are not bringing C19 exposed patients into the facilities, unless they require acute treatment.  That is aimed at preventing hospital, patient and staff  contamination/infection.

Instead, sub-acute patients are sent home.  They are advised to buy a finger/digital O2 monitoring device and to self quarantine.  They monitor their own blood oxygen and if they appear to be losing ground to the virus, they notify their physician(s) and get referred to an infusion center to hopefully be eligible for monoclonal antibody infusion therapy.  Home monitoring then continues.  If their blood O2 continues to drop to the point where oxygen ventilation needs to be administered,  they get admitted to an ICU, if available.  

Truly sorry for the earlier outdated info that I had read in a 10-month old medical journal article.  The info here is apparently current based on current CDC and NIH protocols.   This seems more congruent with the experiences of folks reporting here who have been through this ordeal.  

I thought I had mentioned this but this is the treatment I received with the infusion of Mono whatever antibodies.

Mine was conducted as part of a research application where I got paid to partake.

Hey, if I'm going to die - I'm getting my $1600 out of the deal.

The criteria was based around, in their words, cases not yet ready for hospitalization - but with conditions that make them viable candidates for hospitalization.

I received my antibodies thru a one time IV and then have had to return to the facility every three days for blood work and exam.

I honestly do not remember the first few visits.  Painted Lady had to handle answering my medical questions and interactions because, according to her, I was someplace else.

I remember the hospital visit because of the callousness of it all.

Being left alone to bleed outside on the sidewalk from an overzealous nose swab.

And the coldness of being told you have something that kills people and your treatment options are go home and hope you get better or come back if you get worse.

I don't know if treatment, prayer or luck is why I'm still here - but I do know that many are not.

Take care of yourselves.

I visited the Dr today.

Gave them blood (which they had difficulty finding a vein - which has never happened before to me in my life.  According the nurse; apparently this is yet another Covid joy that is not often mentioned - finding veins becomes harder afterward.)

After multiple sticks and finally attacking a vein in my hand - I had yet another physical exam and then was told I was done until the end of October.

I'm Covid negative (have been for a couple weeks now) and apparently since I didn't die or sprout horns - the research group is mostly done with me.

So to them I guess I'm all better?

I have improved obviously alot.

I didn't die and that possibility has receded to a nasty memory.

But I'm still weak and have little stamina - I helped my wife bring in groceries.

A bag of dog food or case of water from the front door to the kitchen leaves me winded (and my house aint that big).

I am still unable to string a sentence together at a normal speaking pace.  My mouth gets ahead of my brain and I lose words and as I search for the word I'm missing - my mind doubles back and I repeat words.  If I deliberately slow my speaking - I seem to be ok; but I forget and then my inabilities frustrate me horribly.

Damn it - if I'm supposedly "over being sick" - why am I not well?

I have begun to liken Covid more like a car accident.

After the hospital casts your broken bones and the insurance company cuts you a check for your totaled car; to them - you're all set and it's over.

No one warns you about the time between others considering it over and the reality of when it will truly be over for you.

I feel like I'm improving everyday.

And there are brief moments where I feel like the person I remember.

But then I stutter and stammer.

Realize I lack the strength to take the trash bin to the curb.

It's not just I have lost a month to this disease.

A month of not seeing my mom, my daughter, my son, my grandsons.

A month of lost time running my businesses and holding up my end of my partnerships.

I could live with that.

But how much more will I lose?

My grandson is beginning football and I need to help him with tackling drills and correcting his three point stance.

But this is not something I can do winded and coughing - so I have to wait.

Scorpions truck (my truck until she stole it) needs brakes and some maintenance - (and even tho we own an auto shop) these were things we enjoyed doing together.

But most likely - Ill be directing a tech to do the work for us because I can't.

Eldorado is coming up and I am assisting with stage writing and whatever I can do from my computer desk.

But even with the match still a month away - I can't commit to shooting; because I don't know what my limitations; strength, stamina, mental focus will be.

Covid, at least for me, does not appear to be a simple equation of get sick and then either die or get better.

Obviously, I didnt die - but this seems like something I may be living with for a while.

I would not wish this experience on my worst enemy.

Protect yourselves and the ones you love.

Archived