SASS Wire Forum

Fingerless gloves

Hells Comin

Can one  use  fingerless gloves while shooting. I just had hand surgery and have an incision across my palm. I'd like to start shooting a little early without dragging guns directly across the incision. 

Hells Comin

11 minutes ago, Hells Comin said:

Can one  use  fingerless gloves while shooting. I just had hand surgery and have an incision across my palm. I'd like to start shooting a little early without dragging guns directly across the incision. 

Hells Comin

As I understand it, you may as long as there is no grip enhancement.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

If you can't use fingerless try some TIG welding gloves they are super thin leather and don't interfere with your grip. Should be available at any welding supply.

Good Luck Pard and a speedy recovery/ healing. 

The gloves listed on the "OUTLAWED ITEMS" page 4 of the SHB are "Modern shooting gloves" (generally defined as gloves with padding to absorb recoil).

A glove worn for a bona fide medical reason (as noted by the OP) would be allowed.

4 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

(generally defined as gloves with padding to absorb recoil)

Because we ALLLLL know that we need gloves to absorb the horrendous recoil experienced with out "Cowboy" loads...

:mellow:

3 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Because we ALLLLL know that we need gloves to absorb the horrendous recoil experienced with out "Cowboy" loads...

"Modern shooting gloves" have been at the very top of the list of "OUTLAWED ITEMS" since day one...well before the practice of using so-called "Cowboy" loads (which, BTW, is NOT universal throughout CAS).

36 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

"Modern shooting gloves" have been at the very top of the list of "OUTLAWED ITEMS" since day one...well before the practice of using so-called "Cowboy" loads (which, BTW, is NOT universal throughout CAS).

Oh come on now PWB, not like we're shooting 454 Casull or 460SW's...

:lol:

And if one is shooting rounds that are real stout...perhaps they should stop and consider the affect those rounds are having on targets and ears...but now you've got me talking serious like...when all I was doing (initially at least), was poking some fun at the Game's expense.

Phantom

Well I have some of those gloves too. I had a bone removed from my thumb and those gloves help stabilize the thumb. The only problem is that they have Velcro.

15 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

Well I have some of those gloves too. I had a bone removed from my thumb and those gloves help stabilize the thumb. The only problem is that they have Velcro.

I would not consider a medical device that uses Velcro an "accoutrement" (as forbidden in the SHB p.4)

3 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

And especially HC's loads.....:D

a speedy recovery Phil.

bb

I purchased some roping gloves and cut the finger off. No my hand wasn't in the glove. They are made of cotton. I cock my hampered double with my left hand palm. Don't know if this would work for you.

2 hours ago, Uncle Ethan # 94321 said:

.... I cock my hampered double with my left hand palm. Don't know if this would work for you.

There's plenty of gunsmiths who could take that hampered double and make it real easy to use.  :)

I use wool fingerless gloves in the winter.  My favorite pair came from a fly-fishing shop and have leather palms.  Handling guns is no problem but I still don't like to shoot one-handed with them.

Get a box of those throw-away latex gloves at Harbor Freight (get small or medium so that they slightly stretch/fit tightly).

Cut the fingers off those guys and you are good to go. 

No cushion but it will protect the skin ... and you won't really notice you have it on (but your hand will sweat). s12.gif.dd2416553c76c149a17da0e4f109fa90.gif

Edit: If you need some cushion ... put a bandaid on underneath the glove. 

If you had the carpal ligament release surgery, at least the recovery is quick.  I broke the hamate bone and doc took out the broken-off piece plus the 3 ligaments attached to it, including the carpal ligament.  Whole thing healed pretty fast, though my grip strength isn't what it used to be.  Heal soon, pard!

Archived