SASS Wire Forum

Western Period Clothing Suppliers

Buckshot Bear

There's a lot of western clothing available in Oz but its all modern wrangler, ringer, rodeo and jackeroo wear mostly.

I will have to import into Oz from the States, I've found these sites so far -

https://www.wildcowboy.com/main.sc

https://www.wwmerc.com/cgi-bin/Category.cgi?category=home&type=store

https://www.historicalemporium.com/mens-old-west-clothing.php

Anyone have any other places I should look to?

I have bought a pair or Ariat boots, something I've never owned before.

Another question: Do you fella's go as far as wearing spurs or are they a nuisance/annoyance?

Spurs a nuisance?

YES!!!!!

Nope, I don't wear em!

Spurs take some getting used to when maneuvering during a stage. I like hearing the jingle and the look, but I could see how the smaller cavalry spurs would be less cumbersome.

James County Mercantile is a local shop that does a lot of period clothing.  

James Country Mercantile Sutler, Liberty, Missouri

www.jamescountry.com  

I have a nice set of spurs.  Only wear them when shooting Classic Cowboy.  not often...  concerned about tripping on my own big feet...

I wear them often and have not had any problems. However I ain’t prone to tangle footitis nor am I pigeon toed , knock kneed or do  I duck waddle when I walk. :ph34r:

If you dress as a bartender, shop keeper, banker, blacksmith or other "townie", spurs would be superfluous.  Walking in spurs is an acquired skilled... the earlier you start the more natural it seems... driving can be a bit trickier, and they play havoc with the carpeting when you do!

https://www.cattlekate.com/

Mumma Err in Qld makes cowboy clothing and she would be able to post them to you. Have a look on the Facebook page for selling cowboy gear. Will tag you in it

Howdy,

Be sure to check out J. Hornaday run by Sixstring Jimmy.

They are the company with the "cooler cowboy shirt."

They also have a large selection of very nice cowboy products.

Mo

Do you or the ladies sew???

Buckaroo Bobbins Western shirts/vest/frock coat pattern (s) are put out by Simplicity...

Easy to follow...Shanley has several shirts made from Queen size sheets from the thrift store!@!

I told him they were the only time I better find him in someone elses sheets!!!

Walking dresses, and fancy ruffle skirts are very easy to sew...

For ladies...Corsetdeal is a great value for steel boned corsets...

Buckaroo Bobbins also has a great bloomer set pattern.

On 8/21/2021 at 8:01 PM, Griff said:

If you dress as a bartender, shop keeper, banker, blacksmith or other "townie", spurs would be superfluous.  Walking in spurs is an acquired skilled... the earlier you start the more natural it seems... driving can be a bit trickier, and they play havoc with the carpeting when you do!

https://www.cattlekate.com/

We don't have any stages anymore where you have to run down steps to another shooting position but when I started we had to go down 5 or 6 steps between positions at our Fort. You had to be careful and lucky not to get tangled up with your spurs!

Randy

On 8/22/2021 at 6:56 PM, El Hombre said:

Mumma Err in Qld makes cowboy clothing and she would be able to post them to you. Have a look on the Facebook page for selling cowboy gear. Will tag you in it

Thanks for the lead, I've ordered a custom made shirt from Mumma Err.

I love spurs, big obnoxious rowels with noisy jingle bobs. Been wearing 'em since my first year shooting. Never had a problem with spurs, not tripping, not stairs. I own 5 sets now and won't/can't shoot without 'em just cause I don't feel full accutramented without spurs. I shoot Classic Cowboy and spurs for me are a natural part of that costume.

You don't need to wear spurs in any category, even CC (as long as you meet the other costume item requirements) but if you get used to them, you'll probably love them.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/22/2021 at 6:56 PM, El Hombre said:

Received my custom made bib shirt from Mumma Err in Qld.....what a wonderful lady and what a great shirt she made for me!

Thanks for the lead @El Hombre

Archived