SASS Wire Forum

The long wait for gear

Ocelot

Hi there! I'm new to SASS. I've been to a local shoot to meet people and observe (hi there Ocoee Rangers!) and now I'm waiting for my gear. Got some revolvers on backorder and then I've gotta save up for a rifle and a shotgun. Aside from a more appropriate button up shirt, I've got my costume all set to go. 

While I wait to be able to participate, mind telling me some of your favorite CAS stories to take the edge off of the anticipation? Anything goes, just interested in hearing people's favorite memories of the game. 

Howdy Pard!

Ok, here goes, one of my favs!  I wasn't there, but my pard was there and saw this personnally! 

Good pard and excellent shooter, "English Andy" was at a local monthly match one day a number of years back.  Blazing away until he got to the rifle, a very nice 66 carbine in 38 special.  He forgot to load it, it seems, so just levered it and the posse shouted 'bang' then 'ding' 10 times and he finished the stage 'clean'.  They all knew he would have hit every target anyways if he would have loaded it! Good pards all around! 

I wish I would have thought of that when I forgot to put my bandolier back on after a stoppage in action. Clean on pistols and rifle and noticed on the way to pick up the shotgun. Like having a home run ball go JUST foul. :P

Here's one to remember for your own safety.

"No arguing with the women unless you are 450 yards running!"

If you an make it out that far, you will not remember what you were arguing about. 

CAS shooting is not about strength so don't let ego get you down.

Almost everyone will out shot you when you first start out.

So don't go for fast.

Go for hits in the right order on the right targets.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, everyone has answers and are willing to share.

Find what works for you.

Speed will come but it will be in transitions and not working the gun actions.

There's more but others came contribute.

Most of all, Have Fun!

Be safe.

There are no big prizes.

Just bragging rights until tomorrows match.

Welcome to a great game with great people.

If you want the Clif notes "CAS is 18-24 out of work comedians, meeting at the same shooting range monthly, dressed for Halloween in Old West attire and just turning their money into noise."

Have fun , learn and enjoy. 

7 hours ago, Ocelot said:

Hi there! I'm new to SASS. I've been to a local shoot to meet people and observe (hi there Ocoee Rangers!) and now I'm waiting for my gear. Got some revolvers on backorder and then I've gotta save up for a rifle and a shotgun. Aside from a more appropriate button up shirt, I've got my costume all set to go. 

While I wait to be able to participate, mind telling me some of your favorite CAS stories to take the edge off of the anticipation? Anything goes, just interested in hearing people's favorite memories of the game. 

You don't have to WAIT to participate!!!

Dress in your outfit, and step up to spot, brass, pull targets, ect.

Shoot when someone offers the use of their gear!

Go to all the matches you can.

Many ways to be a member!!!

There are too many memories to choose a favorite.

But...I will remember Land Run 2018...the second day of the match it RAINED...all day...

And on the last stage, it hit me...I had no misses!!!

I purposely and carefully shot that stage...I could hear someone say "why is she shooting so slow?" Then I heard Pistol Packin' Pammie say " oh my gosh, she has a clean match working!"

Man was I ever hyped to end a great match clean. My first clean match in 15 years!!! And in the rain!!!

I was one giddy gal going up for my clean match pin!!!

36 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

+1¹⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰⁰

LISTEN TO SUE!!!!

8 hours ago, Ocelot said:

Welcome to the most fun you can have with your clothes on!!  Let me know ahead of time and come to Wartrace and I’ll put some guns in your hands.

Randy

1 hour ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

But...I will remember Land Run 2018...the second day of the match it RAINED...all day...

I purposely and carefully shot that stage...I could hear someone say "why is she shooting so slow?" Then I heard Pistol Packin' Pammie say " oh my gosh, she has a clean match working!"

Man was I ever hyped to end a great match clean. My first clean match in 15 years!!! And in the rain!!!

Haha, I think I just need to get over myself and go. I don't want people to think I'm showing up expecting to shoot, since I'd be just as happy to just help out and watch, but I feel like a freeloader :P

18 minutes ago, Ocelot said:

Haha, I think I just need to get over myself and go. I don't want people to think I'm showing up expecting to shoot, since I'd be just as happy to just help out and watch, but I feel like a freeloader :P

My offer still stands to loan you all the guns and gear you need to shoot the Ocoee Rangers match next week on the 28th. You said you possibly might be out of town. If not let me know and I’ll fix you up with everything. You know how to contact me. And don’t think anything about being a freeloader. We all were there at one time. Come on.

22 minutes ago, Ocelot said:

That is not uncommon for newbies...but trust me, we enjoy new folks.

Take what you can when you go.

Just GO!

6 minutes ago, Ocoee Red #31751 said:

My offer still stands to loan you all the guns and gear you need to shoot the Ocoee Rangers match next week on the 28th. You said you possibly might be out of town. If not let me know and I’ll fix you up with everything. You know how to contact me. And don’t think anything about being a freeloader. We all were there at one time. Come on.

Oh hi! Thank you! I know for sure I'll be in town but occupied on the 28th because we're celebrating my 30th birthday with some friends. But I'd love to come to the next shoot I can.

Oh hi! Thank you! I know for sure I'll be in town but occupied on the 28th because we're celebrating my 30th birthday with some friends. But I'd love to come to the next shoot I can.

Work the Cowboy match into your birthday celebration somehow.

40 minutes ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

Work the Cowboy match into your birthday celebration somehow.

As long as it’s not in your Birthday Suit :D

You’re shootin with some of the best pards in the game with the Ocoee Rangers.  Everyone’s been new at this so everyone understands what your going through.  If others offer you to use guns/gear/ammo don’t be ashamed to take them up on it, we like to see new folks coming out and having fun.  On that note please make sure you have fun no matter what kind of match you have. 

Couple of weeks ago I started a topic on the Wire about the “Trainwreck” match I had, just one of those days when everything went bad at the same time.  We had 2 new shooters on the posse, they both beat me, in fact one of them was shooting his first match and shot it clean.  At the end of that match we all met up and everyone was back-slapping him and shaking his hand, I don’t know if anyone could’ve had a bigger smile.  And you know what, as bad as I did, as frustrated as I was, I still left with a smile and in a good mood.  That’s truly what this game is about, friendship mixed with a common love.  

If you have the time in October come up to the TN State match in Wartrace for a day or two or three, who knows you might even find a good deal on guns/gear. 

10 hours ago, Ocelot said:

My wife, son and I will be coming to the Rangers Saturday.  We'll bring extra shotgun ammo and be prepared to cover that part of what you need in the event you are able to make it.

If your birthday bash prevents you attending the Rangers match there will be a cowboy match at the River Bend Rough Riders the 1st Saturday in September.  That's about an hour south of Ocoee down I75.  We'll can help you out with ammo, and/or share guns if you decide to come to that match.  If you're interested message me here and we'll swap phone numbers. 

Just yesterday, I had a pistol malfunction - left gun went BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG - right gun went CLICK, CLICK, CLICK, CLICK, CLICK, and then I went completely around again - CLICK, CLICK, CLICK, CLICK, CLICK... obviously, the thing isn't going to fire, so I don't know what I was thinking. :lol: I unloaded both guns on the prop table, put the live rounds in the left gun, finished the stage with 86.99, AND ended up with a clean match, although quite a way down the list overall. :)

One of our late pards, Poverty Bill, used to load a shotshell or two up with feathers/down, and mix them randomly with his regular loads so when one of them went *poof*, he could yell out, "That was one of my featherlites!" :lol:

14 hours ago, Ocoee Red #31751 said:

THIS^^^^^^^

On 8/22/2021 at 7:56 AM, Captain Bill Burt said:

My wife, son and I will be coming to the Rangers Saturday.  We'll bring extra shotgun ammo and be prepared to cover that part of what you need in the event you are able to make it.

If your birthday bash prevents you attending the Rangers match there will be a cowboy match at the River Bend Rough Riders the 1st Saturday in September.  That's about an hour south of Ocoee down I75.  We'll can help you out with ammo, and/or share guns if you decide to come to that match.  If you're interested message me here and we'll swap phone numbers. 

This is super kind of you and I very much appreciate it! I know I'll be out of town the first weekend of September but after that trip my schedule clears up a lot so I'll look on the forums to see when the next events I could could it to would be. 

Whenever I do get to come out to a match I'm more than happy to provide my own ammo if I know the caliber(s)  needed since that's something I can contribute without having to wait for backorders. You've all much more than generous and I am very appreciative! 

My very first shoot was 20+ years ago. Me and a buddy went. We had a golf cart that fell apart before we even got out of the parking lot!! We wound up carrying our guns and ammunition . My buddy’s rounds were just a hair too long for his revolvers so we sat there in between stages and had to shave off some lead on the bullets with our pocket knives!! We had a blast despite some other weird things that happened, Neither of us came in last and we were both hooked. Welcome to a great sport and don’t take it too seriously.:) Have fun!!

I was the timer operator on the first stage of a 2 day match, the 2010 Prince of the Pistoleers.  Alamo Kid forgot his shotshells.  I tried to help.  Yeah, rules violation but geez.  He got a reshoot, yeah rules violation but geez.  Embarrassment enough for both of us, enshrined forever by YouTube:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kVkL8BpntCQ

On 8/21/2021 at 5:06 PM, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

You can certainly get involved prior to getting you gear in hand. Even if you don’t shoot. The willingness to get in there and help will be noticed and much appreciated. 

25 minutes ago, Buckshot Sheridan said:

You can certainly get involved prior to getting you gear in hand. Even if you don’t shoot. The willingness to get in there and help will be noticed and much appreciated. 

Of course...some are put into action by some people from the getgo!!!

This is super kind of you and I very much appreciate it! I know I'll be out of town the first weekend of September but after that trip my schedule clears up a lot so I'll look on the forums to see when the next events I could could it to would be. 

Whenever I do get to come out to a match I'm more than happy to provide my own ammo if I know the caliber(s)  needed since that's something I can contribute without having to wait for backorders. You've all much more than generous and I am very appreciative! 

Most folks that loan you revolvers or rifles will want you to use their ammo for protection of their firearms. Shotgun ammo provided by you would be OK.

14 hours ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

Most folks that loan you revolvers or rifles will want you to use their ammo for protection of their firearms. Shotgun ammo provided by you would be OK.

Oh, that's really good to know. Thank you! Well, I'll plan to provide my own shotgun shells and find a convenient way to reimburse people for ammo/shells if they prefer I use theirs. 

Archived