SASS Wire Forum

Let's try the ice cream query a different way...

Does anyone here make your own ice cream, and if you do, what is your favorite traditional type ice cream freezer / maker?  

Looking for serious suggestions here...  either electric or hand-crank.

image.jpeg.73bf2c3a95a9b411e1df7bedbff24ba7.jpeg

We have a Cuisinart electric and love it.  We've made all kinds of ice cream as well as frozen yogurt.  Great recipe book comes with it.

11 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Does anyone here make your own ice cream, and if you do, what is your favorite traditional type ice cream freezer / maker?  

Looking for serious suggestions here...  either electric or hand-crank.

image.jpeg.73bf2c3a95a9b411e1df7bedbff24ba7.jpeg

I'm too old and broken so I would use electric 

12 hours ago, Calamity Kris said:

We have a Cuisinart electric and love it.  We've made all kinds of ice cream as well as frozen yogurt.  Great recipe book comes with it.

Me too.

We used to do old fashioned Ice Cream Socials on my local Volunteer Fire Department as fund raisers. When I was first got on the department they were the old wood barrel hand cranked versions and the rookies got to do the cranking. Now those same machines have had electric motors added, thank goodness!

18 hours ago, Calamity Kris said:

Same here!  We bought the 1.5 qt electric Ice Cream maker and use it for holiday deserts.  Had it five years now - works a charm every time.

Nice to make Ice Cream using real fruit and getting such pure flavors!

18 hours ago, Doc X said:

We used to do old fashioned Ice Cream Socials on my local Volunteer Fire Department as fund raisers. When I was first got on the department they were the old wood barrel hand cranked versions and the rookies got to do the cranking. Now those same machines have had electric motors added, thank goodness!

Thank goodness? How long have you been a rookie? :P

Back before there were electrics we hand cranked in a wooden barrel. All us kids took turns cranking till none of us could turn the crank. The ice house sold 50 lbs of ice in a big paper sack. Looked like the same paper sacks feed came in. They also sold rock salt by the pound in a small paper sack.

Mom bought an electric with a plastic bucket. Never could get it to freeze as well as the hand crank.

Grandpa made an adapter so we could put the electric motor on the wooden bucket. We would run the electric till it quit then switch to the hand crank to finish.

On 8/22/2021 at 8:41 AM, DocWard said:

Thank goodness? How long have you been a rookie? :P

Cranked those things for several years until they all got converted to electric. In all I was on for 15 years my "First Tour" including several years as Assistant Chief and a year as Chief. Got off for a number of years due to work requirements but now that I'm retired I'm back on as a driver/operator.

My grandfather's wooden, hand-cranked ice-cream maker. Can't tell the brand, since it was worn off years before. 

I could never get the ice cream to freeze really hard, with an electric, as I could with the hand-cranked one.

I guess one could solve that by putting the ice cream bucket in the freezer, once the electric motor was done.

Perhaps some electric models, nowadays, have a larger/stronger motor, and won't quit as soon as the one's I used...back in the day.

Whatever works for you, and whatever pleases Mama. 

Archived