SASS Wire Forum

Why don't sick people stay home

Trigger Mike

My 17 year old daughter works at shoneys.  She comes home last night and says that a customer came in to eat the breakfast bar who 2 days before had told a waitress his wife was in the hospital with the virus and he had been tested.  

He came in last night and said he has tested positive  yet was sitting down to eat at a breakfast bar.  WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND DOES THAT?   

To make matters worse she then tells me that they discovered the place is filled with black mold.  That some of her coworkers have been sick from it according to their Dr.  She has also had problems with headaches and congestion.   

She had turned in her 2 week notice as Big Lots hired her for more money and has a week and a half left.  Ordinarily I'd insist she work out her notice faithfully,  but I told her she shouldn't go back.  She has asked to at least go back next week for her farewell party.  I may let her work that day.  

I would report the mould problem to the local health authorities.

IMHO she is in an unsafe working condition.

That crud can be very dangerous.

Had a coworker that was morbidly obese. She had to be at least 400 lbs plus. So that made her susceptible colds, yet she came into work sick anyway. And infected her coworkers. Maybe trying to be stoic or maybe cause the CEO was a jerk. He got angry at another coworker for missing work cause she was in the hospital!

I called her boss today because not only had she had contact with a positive case but she had a 99.1 fever, which is about normal for her ever since she got septic a few years ago.  He was fine with it.  Her temp is back normal, which is normal as she swings all the time.  

For a some workers, especially part time, they don't get paid sick days.   Calling out sick mean you don't get paid and if you are living pay check to pay check, then maybe bills don't get paid or maybe you don't get to eat

And don't forget the parent who uses his own sick days to stay home and take care of his sick kid, and when he is sick he has no sick days left, so he has to come to work sneezing and wheezing.

For the most part, we no longer fear diseases.  At one time, people could, and did, die from a cold.  Spreading influenza was like handing out death sentences.  Many communicable terrors have been virtually wiped out through vaccination and sanitation programs.

Today, if you have a cold or flu, you take some DayQuil and go about your business.  Its not like you're gonna kill someone by going out.  If someone gets your cold, they can buy some OTC miracle for themselves.  Who cares?

We have (pre-covid) just lost respect for disease.

15 hours ago, Whiskey Business said:

Had a coworker that was morbidly obese. She had to be at least 400 lbs plus. So that made her susceptible colds, yet she came into work sick anyway. And infected her coworkers. Maybe trying to be stoic or maybe cause the CEO was a jerk. He got angry at another coworker for missing work cause she was in the hospital!

I bet your boss was ecstatic when you called in sick... just sayin'... :lol:

Archived