SASS Wire Forum

Critique my rifle technique?

Wyo Joe

Ok I’m already cringing but… would any of you with a few extra minutes mind watching my rifle technique for pointers? 

just shot my first match few weeks back and have second match next weekend, trying to get some improvement before then. 

videos should be in order, I was cold in the beginning but got a little better toward the end. Trying to get the trigger timing down. 

I can see my support arm needs to get out a bit as my natural tendency is to hold too close to the lifter, and probably need to get my levering elbow tucked in. Agree? Anything else? All comments welcome, trying to learn. 

Yikes, this is horrifying to watch yourself shooting

16 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Swing/pivot the rifle while you cycle the action

OLG 

@The Original Lumpy Gritz So time it so that my down stroke on the lever is while I’m pivoting?

do I need to be completely done moving when I break a shot or at these distances does it matter that much?

32 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

You're thinking way too much.

You'll break the shot when you brain sees the right conditions. Just get your levering motion down during dryfire.

Phantom

First time I been accused of thinking too much! :lol:

I tend to over analyze everything, hence this thread. Thinking you’re right though, just get my motion down and I’ll get the rest down at some point 

I agree with Phantomborg.

I ain't gonna give any suggestions on any actual techniques cause the rifle if my weak spot also,

and I don't worry about it.

Don't get overly expectant of any speed stuff.  That way, you won't be putting any undue pressures

on yeowndangself.

As for techniques..... I would try to find some video's of Santa Fe River Stan, Deuce, and Smokestack

and watch their techniques.   They were born with a rifle in their hands.

..........Widder

Another agreement with Phantom.

Two things help me:

1.  Put your pinkie to work instead of sticking it out.  Trap the lever between your pinkie finger and ring finger, so that you are opening the lever with pressure from your ring finger, and closing the lever with pressure from your pinkie.  I like to get my middle finger as far forward in the lever loop as possible and keep it there while levering.  These things prevent my hand from slopping around inside the lever.

2.  Start with a handgun in your hands.  Practice transitioning by holstering the revolver with your left hand as you grasp the rifle with your right hand.  Bend over.  You should be able to get rifle buttstock snugged firmly into your shoulder as you finish reholstering with your left hand.  Then as you grasp the fore stock with your left hand, pull hard with your left hand to stabilize the rifle in your shoulder.  While the rifle is still pointed down, lever in the first cartridge as you raise it into the first target and fire when the sight hits the target.

Practice smooth at first, then push for speed.

I’m no expert, but I suggest working on where and how you place the butt of the rifle. It seems like it’s shifting around and your head is shifting trying to stay on the stock. Using your left hand pull that rifle back tight into your shoulder. Your muzzle is moving too much.

56 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

As for techniques..... I would try to find some video's of Santa Fe River Stan, Deuce, and Smokestack

and watch their techniques.   They were born with a rifle in their hands.

..........Widder

appreciate it @Widder, SASS #59054 I’ll check out their videos, want to learn from everyone I can. 

26 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Another agreement with Phantom.

Two things help me:

1.  Put your pinkie to work instead of sticking it out.  Trap the lever between your pinkie finger and ring finger, so that you are opening the lever with pressure from your ring finger, and closing the lever with pressure from your pinkie.  I like to get my middle finger as far forward in the lever loop as possible and keep it there while levering.  These things prevent my hand from slopping around inside the lever.

2.  Start with a handgun in your hands.  Practice transitioning by holstering the revolver with your left hand as you grasp the rifle with your right hand.  Bend over.  You should be able to get rifle buttstock snugged firmly into your shoulder as you finish reholstering with your left hand.  Then as you grasp the fore stock with your left hand, pull hard with your left hand to stabilize the rifle in your shoulder.  While the rifle is still pointed down, lever in the first cartridge as you raise it into the first target and fire when the sight hits the target.

Practice smooth at first, then push for speed.

thanks @J-BAR #18287 I’ll try that with my pinky and middle finger and I bet that’ll help me with my hand flopping around  Definitely gotta work on transitions and will practice what you mentioned 

15 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I’m no expert, but I suggest working on where and how you place the butt of the rifle. It seems like it’s shifting around and your head is shifting trying to stay on the stock. Using your left hand pull that rifle back tight into your shoulder. Your muzzle is moving too much.

Awesome, thank you @Captain Bill Burt I’ll work on getting my support hand out further and getting a snug pull back into my shoulder

Just now, Totes Magoats said:

Great tips here from a great shooter. 

yes really like his vids, watching them dozens of times at this point 

2 hours ago, Wyo Joe said:

Ok I’m already cringing but… would any of you with a few extra minutes mind watching my rifle technique for pointers? 

just shot my first match few weeks back and have second match next weekend, trying to get some improvement before then. 

videos should be in order, I was cold in the beginning but got a little better toward the end. Trying to get the trigger timing down. 

I can see my support arm needs to get out a bit as my natural tendency is to hold too close to the lifter, and probably need to get my levering elbow tucked in. Agree? Anything else? All comments welcome, trying to learn. 

Yikes, this is horrifying to watch yourself shooting

FullSizeRender.mov FullSizeRender.mov FullSizeRender.mov FullSizeRender.mov FullSizeRender.mov FullSizeRender.mov FullSizeRender.mov FullSizeRender.mov

Thanks for posting this, I'm definately learning something here because you raised your hand!

I shoot two more pistols for rifle targets, so does that disqualify me? The above are some of the very best. Watch them again, then repeat

My$.02

Imis

Get your front hand out more.  Pull the rifle into your shoulder. 

You aim with your body, and your support hand.   Hand works elevation, pivot at the hips for wind age. 

The only thing your strong hand should be doing  is levering/ trigger. Find a good anchor point for your hand.  Right now it's  flopping all over.  You can anchor to the side plate or to your lever.  Whichever works for you. 

As with any advice from me,  take it for what it cost you.   Im not the best with a rifle but I generally run sub 3 seconds .

10 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

You're thinking way too much.

You'll break the shot when you brain sees the right conditions. Just get your levering motion down during dryfire.

Phantom

Listen to Phantom he's blunt but speaks the truth

WYO JOE,

in that last video, you got ALL 3 fingers inside the loop.  Try putting only 2 in it.   I've heard that

some folks even use 1 finger but I don't know it for sure.

As mentioned above, leave the pinky outside the lever and  grasping the lever with it.

On a side note, I had a world class rifle shooter once tell me that when I go to pick up my rifle,

concentrate on grabbing the stock and my fingers should automatically go inside the lever.

Remember..... PRACTICE.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

WYO JOE,

in that last video, you got ALL 3 fingers inside the loop.  Try putting only 2 in it.   I've heard that

some folks even use 1 finger but I don't know it for sure.

As mentioned above, leave the pinky outside the lever and  grasping the lever with it.

On a side note, I had a world class rifle shooter once tell me that when I go to pick up my rifle,

concentrate on grabbing the stock and my fingers should automatically go inside the lever.

Remember..... PRACTICE.

..........Widder

i actually noticed that if I use only my middle finger in the lever that is the most comfortable for my hand and makes sure I get good pressure on the lever safety. I’ve got a bit of weakness in my pinky fingers from nerve damage so I may need to just keep ring finger out of the loop as well. 

Got tired of chasing snap caps. sanded down a snap cap just enough so that if I pull the trigger, the ejector won’t grab the cap, but if I jack it then it ejects the cap… now I just go hunting for the cap when I screw up hahaha

Also noticed that now I’m thinking of transitions for everyday life things.

Put coffee in microwave with right hand so I can work the handle with the left and move to the buttons right handed. Shaved a half second off my coffee microwaving time, bahahahaha I’m insane

Only got the first video to run for me, but Find an anchor for that right hand. It’s flailing around like a possessed hooker at a baptist revival. Keep the thumb of that hand in contact with the wrist of the stock as a pivot. 

practice, practice,  practice! 

everything you are looking for will come with time. As long as you practice! 

29 minutes ago, Beaver said:

practice, practice,  practice! 

everything you are looking for will come with time. As long as you practice! 

yes sir, I’ll be practicing every day. Was just tryna make sure I wasn’t practicing bad habits if I can avoid it. Not expecting to be fast right now

My opinions and worth exactly what you pay for them.

The rifle should come to your cheekbone - not the other way around.

Your head should remain straight (your neck may cant forward slightly, but your head should never lean over to the stock).

1 finger inside the lever to cycle open - the others outside to close the lever.

Almost all the lever resistence is in the lever opening - a singular force (1 finger) will direct effort in one direction and avoid the muzzle wobble syndrome.

I taught myself to use 1 finger by wrapping the lever with a shoelace and only allowing enough opening for a single finger.  (Practice only - not legal for events).

Forward hand (and I could be wrong - a lot of fast folks disagree with me).

But I dont care for the stretched forward support hand position.  It starts off - off balance and then gets worse as the ammo is depleted.

The center of balance on your rifle (loaded or empty and, of course depending on any oddball barrel lengths) is usually an inch or two in front of your receiver frame.

Your support hand placed closer to this center of balance gives you more control over movement during the firing string, more control over muzzle movement during target acquisition, much more control during pick up and discard (especially vertical).

Again, all my opinions and since I am not a world champ - I have no data to backup my claims.

Archived