SASS Wire Forum

Question regarding shooting glasses

:FlagAm: Annie and I are going this afternoon to have new lenses put into our shooting frames.  Last week when we were there looking at new frames for our daily glasses, we were asked if we wanted Transitions lenses for our shooting glasses as well.  Last year was the first year we had our daily prescription made up using Transitions and we both like them a lot.  

I am on the fence on this one.  Has anyone here had their shooting glasses made up using the Transitions?  If so, please tell me what you think overall.

Thank you for your time.

Chas B

My shooting glasses have transitions.  Living in a high altitude, very sunny location my eyes need them.  Be aware that cold weather makes them turn even darker.

17 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

what color lenses did you use on your old shooting glasses?

:FlagAm: Always have been clear, no tint but I do have clip on shades.  Annie does not.

11 minutes ago, Chas B. Wolfson, SASS #11104 said:

:FlagAm: Always have been clear, no tint but I do have clip on shades.  Annie does not.

Try shooting with the tinted shades and see if it effects your ability to see the sights.

I tried tinted safety glasses and don't care for them. The brim on my hat provides enough shade that I am not bothered by sun light.

My regular prescription glasses are transitions and I like them. When cold it does take them longer to lighten up.  

Transitions work based on how much UV light they are receiving, so they tend not to darken up when you are in your car as the windshield blocks UV even with no tint. Same is true of the visor on motorcycle helmets. they block enough UV to prevent transitions from darkening.

I have sensitive eyes.  I have been using transitional lenses for years now and would prefer to not go back to a single color and have to carry multiple pairs of glasses or clip-ons.

Some people do have issues with dark tinted lenses while shooting.  If you've been using clip-ons with no problems you "shouldn't" have issues with transition lenses.

Be aware there are at least two kinds of transition lenses, at least through my eye doctor office: regular and XTRActive.

My insurance covers it so I get the XTRActive.

I have tried a number of solutions but my best results are from Transitions with Progressive lenses for near vision. Since I had my cataracts done. I only need correction (on my glasses) for near objects.

Imis

Was worried about moving from full sun to a covered location on stages.    Right or wrong?   I use clear lens       GW

Go with Rose colored glasses, they show only the beauty cause they hide all the truth!!:D 

I wear Transitions for my daily glasses but I'm afraid they would cause a problem on a stage that starts outside and then move inside? They don't transition very quickly.

Randy

Yes, I have exactly the same prescription in my shooting glasses as in my daily wear glasses.

Archived