SASS Wire Forum

The Time To Be An Advocate Is Now

Charlie T Waite

The pages of Bearing Arms are littered with countless stories covering the assaults on our Second Amendment. From the legislative proposals to the executive overreach, we’re under attack. In many ways, we’re gaining a lot of ground. States are passing permitless carry laws and entering into Second Amendment sanctuary statuses. However, which has become  abundantly clear over the last eight months, our Federal government is not really on our side. Sure, we have some 2A friendly legislators and governmental representatives that are holding the line, but is that enough?

Being a good advocate for our Second Amendment right is something that all freedom minded persons should be doing. There are many ways to support “the cause”, and I’m going to discuss some of them below.

Are you a member of a national Second Amendment organization? If you’re not, then you should really consider looking into who’s doing what, and how to at a minimum financially support the groups that are doing the heavy lifting. We don’t have a Nanny Bloomberg pumping money into our cause. We truly are a grassroots movement. So whether you want to support the National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, the Firearms Policy Coalition, or Gun Owner’s of America, pick one or more than one and support them. There are others out there too, those are just the ones that come to mind. These groups do the work for us, but can’t without our support.

Are you a member of a state Second Amendment organization? Every state, as far as I know, has at least one state level group that advocates for gun owners. Supporting your state organization helps keep some of the crumby laws from being passed on state levels. New Jersey, where I hail from, has three big Second Amendment groups and I’ve dedicated myself to be a life member of all three. If you don’t have a ton of expendable cash, small donations count and add up too. If you’re feeling generous, consider adopting another state’s organization and toss them some money. Like what New York State Rifle And Pistol Association is up to? They do have a case at the Supreme Court, and did argue before them last year…Send them some coin.

Do you volunteer? This is something that you can really get out of control with or be minimally involved in. As noted, we’re not funded by mega bucks benefactors like the anti-freedom caucus. At least not to the same extent. We are a true and real grassroots movement. That takes volunteers. Whether it’s dedicating time to spend in a booth at a county fair for your local group or sending out mailers, your time can count and does matter!

Be the best advocate you can with people that are “on the fence.” Do you have that coworker that’s always curious about firearms but’s not a “gun guy/gal”? Use the opportunity to try and take them to the range. The best way to introduce people to the Second Amendment is to introduce them to firearms.

Contact your government. Cam repeatedly talks on his show about the importance of sending in your comments about the ATF rule changes. I cannot stress how important it is to respectfully engage with our government officials. Our legislators and executives need to know what we’re thinking and they need to know they don’t have our votes if they support anti-freedom policies and laws. This means phone calls to the capitol switchboard, snail mail letters, faxes, and emails.

Be informed. If you’re reading this, you read freedom related content. At least I can hope. Find quality content, like that of Bearing Arms and some of the other online news sources. Find trusted content, so ask around. Programs like Cam’s Cam and Company really do deliver fantastic information that we the freedom minded persons need to know. Between online news sites, vetted and quality video channels, and podcasts, there’s no lack of information. Know what’s going on.

Be a good fellow advocate. Are you already in this ‘game’? Well, it’s important to support others in what they’re doing. Now is not the time for in-fighting. Looking through social media pages is a total nightmare at times. The amount of time and effort that goes into knocking other groups, people, organizations, etc. is ridiculous. We need to embrace the fact that there are going to be other advocates out there that see things differently and that does not mean that they’re wrong. We’re stronger together. So don’t knock that group down the road or talk down about another person’s efforts. If you’re going to have beef, have it privately with the person or group individually. The anti-freedom caucus is watching what we’re doing. No, we’re not all going to get along, but we should really try.

Write to your local news. If you read something that’s not quite right in an article or read a story that’s blatantly biased, let the writer and editor know. If the news group is not freedom minded, they may ignore you, or they may print what you have to say. Regardless, it’s important that we don’t remain silent. Respectful and well written correspondence to our news groups goes a long way.

Get political. If possible, get involved with your local governmental bodies. Canvass for the politician that’s going to support our cause. This also includes showing up to those boring school board meetings and town halls. Have your representatives and politicians that serve you know your name.

These are just a few ideas to get you going on thinking about advocacy. I’ve had the great pleasure of working with and alongside many great advocates. Sometimes we argue and sometimes we’re all on the same page. What’s important is that we stick together and keep our eye on the prize. Now’s not the time for egos to get in the way. Unity and activism is key. Check the ego at the door if it’s going to get in the way.

Let me know what you think in the comments section below. Am I missing something? What are your ideas on advocacy? I may not respond, but I do read the comments, and your input will help me be a better advocate myself.

I belong to the NRA  (Life) and I am a member of the FPC, Firearms Policy Coalition.

You are correct, Charlie. People do need to get involved. When one receives and email from their Pro 2A associations asking for you to contact their government representatives quite often the organization makes it easy for you by sending a link and even writing the body of the message for you it is real easy to get involved. Just put your name  on the message and  click send. The NRA ILA  does  this all the time and without badgering you for donations  when you do.

I too am a life member of the NRA! I'm also a member of the Gun Owners of America and The Second Amendment Foundation!

That ain't enough!!  I still write letters, E-mails, and make phone calls to my representatives in congress and my senators and to local and state officials as well!!

Archived