SASS Wire Forum

Do you reload 12g?

Buckshot Bear

9 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Not sure what LOP stands for. Big problem presently is that we're currently (along with two daughter in laws) sharing a Stoeger SxS coachgun. I have fitted a recoil pad under a leather butt cover.

LOP is “length of pull”, a standard shotgun buttstock measurement; distance from the trigger to the back end of the stock.  Just a small change in LOP makes a great difference in ease of shooting.

edit:  outdrawn again!  :o

I'm Cheap.I save my old split hulls trim them off & then roll crimp them.

Largo

42 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Not sure what LOP stands for. Big problem presently is that we're currently (along with two daughter in laws) sharing a Stoeger SxS coachgun. I have fitted a recoil pad under a leather butt cover.

LOP = length of pull.  Search for "shotgun length of pull" and you will find descriptions and diagrams.  The ladies can probably share a shotgun with a shorter length of pull.  The Stoeger likely fits you and not them.

43 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Sorry, length of pull, the stock needs to be cut so that it will fit them. If the stock is too long they cant get a good cheek weld and have to lean back to hold the gun up. All of this will cause the felt recoil to be worse. If there are any good lady shooters in your area see if they'll let them try out their shotguns and see how they feel. Most shotguns have about a 14" to 14.5" LOP from the end of the butt stock to the trigger. Most ladies need a 13.5" or less. The best Lady Shooter in our club has a shotgun so short I cant shoot it but it fits her perfectly. Guns that don't fit will discourage ladies and kids faster than anything.

Randy

I load my own 12 gauge I use a Dillon SL900

Winchester AA hulls

13.2 to 13.5 Grains of Tite Group  Yes I said Tite Group came up with my own recipe since i could not find any on the web for what i was wanting to do.

7/8 oz shot

roughly 980 fps same as the Winchester AA's you can buy at the store if you can find them

see the low recoil in the video and lack of smoke

LOP is Length of Pull.  Buttplate or rear or recoils pad to the front trigger. Too long or too short can make the felt recoil much worse because proper position is more difficult if not impossible to attain. 

6 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Sorry, length of pull, the stock needs to be cut so that it will fit them. If the stock is too long they cant get a good cheek weld and have to lean back to hold the gun up. All of this will cause the felt recoil to be worse. If there are any good lady shooters in your area see if they'll let them try out their shotguns and see how they feel. Most shotguns have about a 14" to 14.5" LOP from the end of the butt stock to the trigger. Most ladies need a 13.5" or less. The best Lady Shooter in our club has a shotgun so short I cant shoot it but it fits her perfectly. Guns that don't fit will discourage ladies and kids faster than anything.

Randy

Guns factory-sized for "youth" shooters also work for the smaller lady shooter and do not require professional buttstock shortening.  I owned a beautiful V. Bernardelli Gamecock Deluxe SxS that had been previously shortened to 12" LOP for a very petite lady.  Since I didn't know a very petite lady shooter at the time (hope springs eternal), after a while I sold it to the dad of a young person who was just getting started in the shooting sports, and the gun was a perfect fit for that young lady.  

(I'll add that when LOP is wrong, everything is wrong.  I'm a basically regular large guy.  I tried to shoot that Gamecock and could not properly shoulder it.  I also could not properly hold the straight stock with my hand so close to my face; shooting it actually hurt my wrist.  Shotgun LOP is adjustable on so many modern guns for a reason -- it actually matters in hunting and various sporting applications, and even in nearly point-blank SASS shooting.)

14 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

LOP = Length of Pull

Those Super X are a bit stout for CAS.  If you can get Winchester "Low Noise, Low recoil" (commonly nicknamed "featherlights" ) that would help,  they are usually available here in OZ...  Not cheap..but then we don't shoot a LOT of shotgun.   Another option is the Kiwi made Falcon "Saloon Cowboy Action". They are kinda cool with the roll crimp...and work fine in my SxS and 87... ;)

.No description available.

Since you have Red Dot, try 13.2(Thirteen point two) grains RedDot with 7/8 oz shot and a WAA12L or copy wad(You may need to use a 1/8th 20 gauge card wad or 2 under the shot to get a good crimp) in a STS hull, very light on shoulder but still take the knockdown targets nicely.

I have been on a quest to find the lightest 12 ga load . . . just because

still in testing but here is my load (so far)

12.8 gr of Red Dot

gray wad Claybuster CB0178-12 WAA12L

.55 oz of recycled shot

here is what keeps the crimp from caving in.  1/2" of 1/2" foam backing rod https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-1-2-in-x-20-ft-Grey-Poly-Foam-Caulk-Saver-Moisture-Repellent-C22H/100159362?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&mtc=Shopping-B-F_D25H-G-D25H-25_4_BUILDERS_HARDWARE-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-BuildersHardware_Smart&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_D25H-G-D25H-25_4_BUILDERS_HARDWARE-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-BuildersHardware_Smart-71700000081230576-58700006913855557-92700064312898263&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjo2JBhCRARIsAFG667VDTHcW9mbKySK7_PFuPs9i7sxpaP9PIJ7PxBE6mvRsqyZEkytlJnAaApG8EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

put the foam rod on top to the shot.  it will stand proud of the shell but will be compressed as the shell is run through the MEC machine.

it's right on the edge of taking our KDs down but with two rotator cuff surgeries you do what you have to in order to play our game/hobby/obsession

2 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

For many years, I've used a piece of foam plastic packing peanut to fill the excess space. 

Just now, Three Foot Johnson said:

For many years, I've used a piece of foam plastic packing peanut to fill the excess space. 

I made a little jig that lets me cut all of them to same length--I'm OCD on things like that + I got to make the jig

So far my shoulder thanks me.  Every so often I have to hit a KD a second time but I'm in this for the fun and not the Caddy keys

On 8/19/2021 at 8:31 PM, Buckshot Bear said:

Thanks OLG, I think I'm going to have to go the reloading route as my wife (and two daughter in laws) are finding the recoil a bit much. They can handle it, but they don't really like it. I can get a MEC for around $550 here in Australia, might try and find a secondhand one somewhere.

Also, be sure to tell your wife and daughters in law to get the butt of the shotgun stock in the pocket of their shoulder WHERE THEIR BRA STRAP IS and tuck it tight… and to, of course, get a good cheek weld. If the stock isn’t tucked in the right place even light loads can be uncomfortable. I’ve started reloading my smokeless shells, too because the factory ones don’t gauge and I can’t find them. I actually enjoy it. It’s relaxing. I use an old MEC Jr. 

Hugs! 
Scarlett

On 8/20/2021 at 7:00 PM, Buckshot Bear said:

Length of pull. 

I pretty much have to reload since I shoot Black Powder loads and buying factory SG loads would bankrupt me. I load about 65 gr. in my brass shells and about 50 gr. in my paper and plastic hulls.

On 8/20/2021 at 3:14 PM, Three Foot Johnson said:

I've used 12 grains of Red Dot and 7/8 or 1 ounce of shot ..... It didn't take me long to realize that was totally unnecessary for this game. :lol:

...as long as you can scratch enough paint off the clay that it looks like a hit - it will count.

I loaded ultra softees for people with medical considerations. I used Alliant e3 from 10.5 - 12.5 and under 1oz. You can shoot a double barrel one handed. In my SxS I generally run 13.3gr of e3 under 1.125 oz to get plenty of pigeon scratchers out there and decent speed for fliers and knockdowns, maybe 1050fps

Archived