SASS Wire Forum

Do you reload 12g?

Buckshot Bear

I have never reloaded 12g, I did own a MEC reloader for .410 but its crimp was never satisfactory.

Anyhow...if you do reload 12g do you reload them lighter than any light commercial load that is procurable? 

I've bought lots of boxes now of different brands of 'light' loads but my wife is finding them not so light. So I'm thinking I might have to start reloading them (which is something I really didn't want to do). Can you reload them light? Are they much nicer to shoot than 'light' commercial shells?

What reloading gear do you use?

2 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

My 12ga load is 17.0gn of Unique with 3/4-1oz of shot.

Less felt recoil than Featherlite has.

Load on a MEC 600jr I bought in 1978.

OLG 

Thanks OLG, I think I'm going to have to go the reloading route as my wife (and two daughter in laws) are finding the recoil a bit much. They can handle it, but they don't really like it. I can get a MEC for around $550 here in Australia, might try and find a secondhand one somewhere.

Yes, it's very easy to load 12 gauge shells softer than, say, Winchester Featherlites.    I have always loaded 12 gauge for cowboy and WB matches, most importantly for 100% availability of ammo through panics and shortages.  But also so I can make light loads for shooters who might want them (personally, I don't use anything lighter than 1 ounce at 1100 FPS in our action games).   But it is one more thing to have to stock components for.  If you do decide to try loading, I'd suggest you start out with a Mec 600 Jr, preferably a used one.  Unless you convince yourself you are really going to load for the long haul.  Then get something like the Sizemaster,  8567 Grabber or even a 9000.

But then, I load on Pacific/Hornady 366s and would not change back to any Mec loader for any reason.

good luck, GJ

Remington STS hull

Claybuster CB0175-12 wad

3/4 oz shot

13 grains 700-X

In order of recoil from lightest to heaviest. Felt recoil will be less than AA LNLR (Featherlites)

Cheddite 209 / Remington 209

Winchester 209

Avoid Federal 209 primers as they produce significantly more felt recoil.

Dillon SL 900  Too much money for the limited amount of SG for one cowboy, three shooters would make it more appealing

STS hulls

Claybuster  CB0178-12 wads

7/8 oz of #7 1/2 or #8 shot

Federal or Winchester 209

14.1 gr of Shooters world Cleanshot

Imis

48 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Remington STS hull

Claybuster CB0175-12 wad

3/4 oz shot

13 grains 700-X

In order of recoil from lightest to heaviest. Felt recoil will be less than AA LNLR (Featherlites)

Cheddite 209 / Remington 209

Winchester 209

Avoid Federal 209 primers as they produce significantly more felt recoil.

Same load except I use 1 oz. of #7 1/2 shot, recoil is sooooo not there! SCJ

Here is an example of how much difference the primer choice makes in your SG loads.

All loads are 3/4 oz of shot with a velocity of 1150 fps.

Powder is 700-X

Cheddite 209          14.4 grains

Remington 209A   14.3 grains

Winchester 209      13.7 grains

Federal 209              13.2 grains

This time with Clays powder 

Remington 209A   16.2 grains

Winchester 209      16.1 grains

Cheddite 209          15.9 grains

Federal 209              14.1 grains

I load on an old MEC 650 and resize the cases on a MEC Super Sizer first. I use Remington STS hulls, Remington primers, 7/8 oz shot, Clay Buster wads, a 27 powder bushing (14.4 gr.) Clay Dot powder. Recoil is very light. I have used the exact same setup with Clays and Red Dot powders.

Randy 

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Remington 209A   14.3 grains

Federal 209              13.2 grains

Those part numbers are backwards.

The Federal 209A is what Federal makes now

The Rem 209 is what Remington makes (also known as Rem 209 STS)

good luck, GJ

I don't know what shotgun shells are sold in Australia.  In the States most 12-gauge shells are sold for clay shooting sports or small game.  Light loads are not very light.  An exception is Winchester's low noise low recoil AAs favored by cowboy shooters.  They are the standard many try to duplicate.  My powder of choice for such loads is Alliant's Extra-Lite.  I don't load below published minimums but some report success loading a couple grains less than published minimums.

I load both on a MEC Jr and an RCBS Grand progressive.  The RCBS Grand is more press than a cowboy shooter needs but gives the best crimps.  I use Remington STS and Gun Club hulls, Cheddite primers and Claybuster 7/8 oz wads.  I care a great deal how well my loads pattern for clays but care less about cowboy loads.

My cowboy action load recipe of choice using an old MEC 600 Jr. press, and using a MEC Super Sizer every other reload (I get 8-10 reloads out of every hull):

Win AA hulls 

Claybuster CB0175-12 (pink) wads

Federal 209A primers

18.5 grains Hodgdon TITEWAD powder

3/4 oz #7.5 shot

I find this to be a very shooter-friendly load, though from the comments I imagine it might be slightly heavier than some others prefer.  I'm 6-ft tall, 220 lbs, and it doesn't bother me at all despite both shoulders having been surgically reconstructed (for hare-brained reasons totally unrelated to shotgunning that my wife enjoys reminding me about).  I use TITEWAD simply because I use it for reloading my much heavier and faster trap and sporting clays loads, too, and am very comfortable with it.

yes , i also load 3/4oz , but im running 16 grains of red dot or clays in mine , i had a hornaday 366 but it would never run consistently so i went to a single stage mec , we dont need so many for our game to require a fast progressive , im more content loading what i need in a little longer time at a steady pace 

9 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

I have never reloaded 12g, I did own a MEC reloader for .410 but its crimp was never satisfactory.

Anyhow...if you do reload 12g do you reload them lighter than any light commercial load that is procurable? 

I've bought lots of boxes now of different brands of 'light' loads but my wife is finding them not so light. So I'm thinking I might have to start reloading them (which is something I really didn't want to do). Can you reload them light? Are they much nicer to shoot than 'light' commercial shells?

What reloading gear do you use?

I use a rcbs Mimi grand. 15 grains as30 7/8 shot works great, easy to shoot and still brings down targets. Both my daughter and mother-in-law use them without any trouble

@Buckshot Bear  with you being down under and all, it’d be helpful to know what components you have or what’s available.  Everyone giving their load data does you no good if that particular powder/primer, etc. just isn’t available. 

18 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

@Buckshot Bear  with you being down under and all, it’d be helpful to know what components you have or what’s available.  Everyone giving their load data does you no good if that particular powder/primer, etc. just isn’t available. 

Yep good advice,,being down-under myself I can tell you there ain't much in   reloading components available...& with ADI  ceasing production of shotgun powders that makes it worse [ which I think' is your Clays in the USA ], also TNT transport who are the agent for Fedex are refusing to cart anything firearm related ..it's a real shit fight here at the moment.

38 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

In 'usual' times, most components can be sourced and I have reliable outlets near me, but as Painted Mohawk mentioned presently with shortages and people stockpiling.....it can be a PITA to get somethings.....powders specifically presently. I have bulk Win 231, ADI AP50, Alliant Red Dot and Trail Boss luckily on hand that I bought up big with. Don't know how hard shotgun shell primers are to source, there something I haven't bought for such a long time.

3 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

In 'usual' times, most components can be sourced and I have reliable outlets near me, but as Painted Mohawk mentioned presently with shortages and people stockpiling.....it can be a PITA to get somethings.....powders specifically presently. I have bulk Win 231, ADI AP50, Alliant Red Dot and Trail Boss luckily on hand that I bought up big with. Don't know how hard shotgun shell primers are to source, there something I haven't bought for such a long time.

You should be able to find shotgun primers..source a used press , they are around..as someone said a Mec Jnr is the way to go..light reloads can be successfully made & do the job , just always have a few heavier with you for pesky or further out targets.

5 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

I bought a case of these, my wife finds the recoil a bit severe.

IMG_20210820_162726_resized_20210820_042757212.thumb.jpg.17b0db47b1d2a2c639c2affeb391e959.jpg

Those would have a lot of recoil, you need something around 1000fps with 1oz. or less us shot.  It will be much easier on her.

Randy

I use the minimum load for Extralite and 7/8 oz of #8 chilled shot, and finding Clays loads and shoots about the same, but I think the real issue here is that the ladies are never going to like 12 GA or shotguns in general. I suggest a recoil pad. My shotgun came with one and I am happy with it. Even light loads are a pretty good jolt, so just practicing will help getting used to that and shooting through it. Where the gun is held on the shoulder and body stance are factors too.

3 hours ago, Lunger Dan said:

Lee Load All, black powder and 7/8 oz of shot

This.

Black powder and substitutes are safer to experiment with, adjusting powder and shot volumes to get a good crimp, than smokeless powder.  Very low recoil loads that still take the knockdowns down can be developed.

Mine:

Remington STS hull

primer—whatever you have

2.5 cc (38 grains) of FFG powder

white Claybuster wad

1 oz. shot (9, 8, 7 1/2 all work)

....virtually no recoil at all.  I have a very arthritic shoulder and these are comfortable.

I load on a MEC 600 Jr., but before I got it I used the old Lee table-top “whack-a-mole” loader and it made usable shells just dandy.

Blackpowder charges greater than. 40 grains are not necessary, unless you want lots more smoke and fire

I may have missed it but does the shotgun fit your wife? If the LOP is to long the felt recoil will be worse. Usually if the LOP is to long they will be leaning back in an awkward position to try to hold the gun up.

Randy

2 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Alliant publishes 7/8 oz and 1 oz loads for Red Dot.  I would try that powder for lighter shotgun loads.  Those Winchester Super-X target shells have about 20% more recoil than the low noise low recoil shells we shoot.  My wife too would not shoot the Super-X shells.

5 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

I’d say when you can get the components together, let everyone know what you got and with your list we can probably come up with a workable load for her.  G’Day Mate. 

All brass shells, 90 grains of Fg Black under 1 1/4 of #4. 

you may consider using black the recoil impulse is spread out over a longer time than with smokeless loads. 

There are several good 12 ga "recipes"  listed above. 

What also helped my wife get over the recoil was a lace-on leather recoil pad that contains a silicon gel pad (click on the link below - it comes in several sizes).  It cuts felt recoil by 50%.  Her 97 has an installed hard rubber recoil pad, but adding this lace on pad on top of the one already on the gun, really made a difference.  The recoil feels more like a push with this device then a sharp jab.  My wife loves this recoil pad. 

Slip on Butt Pad-Medium Lace on type (buffaloarms.com)

I've used 12 grains of Red Dot and 7/8 or 1 ounce of shot almost since I started this game. When I first started, I had never loaded shotshells before, and another shooter said, "I've always used 18 grains of Red Dot and 1 1/8 oz shot"... :blink: It didn't take me long to realize that was totally unnecessary for this game. :lol:

Another shooter here loaded clear down to 9 grains of Red Dot - Good Lord, you could see the shot ball going down range. He must have finally started getting wads stuck in the barrel or something because he bumped it up to 10 grains a few years back. 

9 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

I may have missed it but does the shotgun fit your wife? If the LOP is to long the felt recoil will be worse. Usually if the LOP is to long they will be leaning back in an awkward position to try to hold the gun up.

Randy

Not sure what LOP stands for. Big problem presently is that we're currently (along with two daughter in laws) sharing a Stoeger SxS coachgun. I have fitted a recoil pad under a leather butt cover.

3 hours ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

There are several good 12 ga "recipes"  listed above. 

What also helped my wife get over the recoil was a lace-on leather recoil pad that contains a silicon gel pad (click on the link below - it comes in several sizes).  It cuts felt recoil by 50%.  Her 97 has an installed hard rubber recoil pad, but adding this lace on pad on top of the one already on the gun, really made a difference.  The recoil feels more like a push with this device then a sharp jab.  My wife loves this recoil pad. 

Slip on Butt Pad-Medium Lace on type (buffaloarms.com)

I've bought something similar but your link looks a lot nicer.

SNY01728.thumb.jpg.68a520c8b341319c94f872cdfca3b06e.jpg

Archived