SASS Wire Forum

"I used to have a little friend..."

Hawk attacks rabbit... deer ain't havin' none o' THAT s---- in HER woods!  :lol:

18 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

That was pretty amazing. If someone told me they saw that I would be skeptical…especially if it was my brother-in-law. ;)

I didn't know Hardpan was your Brother-In-Law.

hmmmmm.

..........Widder

Saw a couple of videos of deer attacking other animals.  They seem to lose all sense when they go on the attack, and won't quit until long after the other critter has given up the fight or the ghost.

That was odd in so many ways.  Why did the deer deer come to the rabbit’s defense?  Why did the deer deer not stop until the rabbit was long gone and the hawk beat to a grease spot in the dirt?

So how would one caption this video?

”Thumper is my friend, You SoB!”

Several thoughts

This had nothing to do with the rabbit. Years ago when it was a little fawn the deer was attacked by a hawk. While walking through the woods just now she saw the hawk, and took her revenge.

The deer just wanted to play. That looks so much like a Mastiff or a Rottweiler or some other big dog wanting to play with a chipmunk or a field mouse, and looking so surprised when the little critter quit playing back.

The deer was tired of being a vegetarian, and thought she would give carnivorism a try. That's why she kept running off the other deer. "This is my supper. You want to eat a hawk? Go catch your own!"

4 minutes ago, Alpo said:

The deer was tired of being a vegetarian, and thought she would give carnivorism a try. That's why she kept running off the other deer. "This is my supper. You want to eat a hawk? Go catch your own!"

That thought kept going through my head too. 

“I’ve had enough of grass and berries.  Time for some hawk bacon!”

I know a guy that liked to watch the deer that frequented deer high meadow that was over grown with scrub trees. He was watching a doe move from tree to tree occasionally pausing to eat. As he watch through his binoculars he discovered that the doe was searching for and then eating baby birds out of their nests. 

He swore he saw more than one deer exhibit this odd behavior. 

We were all skeptical till he managed to get photos of the deer in the act. 

Have you ever heard the noise a  rabbit makes when attacked?  I am sure that is what attracted the deer. Rabbits can scream pretty loud.

6 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I was sure it must have been a fawn it was protecting.  But it looks like a rabbit.  Maybe it had a fawn in that same patch of grass? 

It probably didn't know hawks are protected. 

Bet your right Warden, there is probably a fawn close by hiding and hearing the rabbit scream prompted the attack by the doe thinking it had her fawn, that was wicked!

On 8/19/2021 at 9:54 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Have you ever heard the noise a  rabbit makes when attacked?  I am sure that is what attracted the deer. Rabbits can scream pretty loud.

One really dark night Ol' Hank and I were sitting on a ridge, with me blowing on a wounded rabbit call, trying to lure in a coyote or two.  Didn't last long - decided to pack it in right after a HUGE ol' owl just about snatched my hat off my head.  :blink:

4 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

One really dark night Ol' Hank and I were sitting on a ridge, with me blowing on a wounded rabbit call, trying to lure in a coyote or two.  Didn't last long - decided to pack it in right after a HUGE ol' owl just about snatched my hat off my head.  :blink:

That’s hilarious! I was in the desert awaiting some friends at our camp site and the sun went down. Being a little concerned I hiked up on top of a small hill to see if they would be coming out the trail or if maybe they got stuck. 
As I was standing up there listening to the wind blow a huge owl tried to perch on my hat. Scared the hell of me. Scared the hell out of that big owl too. His perch moved and yelled at him. :lol:

His talons put some scratches in my cowboy hat. Still makes me laugh. 

Mom always had poultry of all kinds.  After the garden was done for the season,  it became a chicken pen.  One time a big chicken hawk tried to nab something.  The turkey jumped it and worked it over.  It got away but no prize. 

Archived