SASS Wire Forum

Any photos of DIY screwdriver knives

Buckshot Bear

Here is my version. It’s a cowboy screwdriver. Laminated hardwoods with a hollow ground tool steel screwdriver bit. I have sold quite a few   

B8EF4709-7407-4846-AB04-6CC60E6AECB4.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Look good, what is the thickness of the blades? 

Blades are.0465 thick,made from reciprocating saw blades.Handles are New Mexico mule deer horns with brass bolsters and pins( in one).

What ever you choose for the handle, try to find something that is straight.

Handles that have a curve tend to cause the screw driver blade to lift one side of the blade up and then you get a broken or buggered up screw.

You want a square ended blade that makes connect 100% in the bottom of the screw.

So more than 1 screw driver may be needed for different sized screws.

Full with of screw slot and all the way to the bottom of the slot with a squared blade.

Squared blade meaning the blade is not tapered like most commercial screw drivers.

• 2 weeks later...

I posted this recently, but in case someone else is looking,

WP_20200928_08_49_29_Pro.thumb.jpg.d1dff1563c9f0434f30501126e0decd3.jpgWP_20200928_08_48_04_Pro.thumb.jpg.436764a0fb8be4b0700c559b8804cd46.jpg

this is one of my EDC knives, I made it to be a screwdriver for cowboy guns and the base knife dates back to the 1890's.  I can make one for you if you want.  Basic knife is $15-20 depending on size, they work as a driver or package opener while folded up and they are a high good carbon steel.  I keep it verticle in my pocket, "tip" up to avoid poking holes in the pocket.  it needs heavy things to be staged around it to keep it in place, but I don't need any leather for it.  if I'm wearing pants that have one, I'll put it in the coin pocket tip down and that works fine as well.  much easier to pull this out to address a screw than to access my Leatherman Rebar on my belt.

Well after seeing everyone’s homemade screwdrivers I decided to try my hand at it. Went out to the shop turned the ole lathe on and had copper pipe for feral and extra driver bit holders and black walnut and red gum wood. 

The one with Milwaukee bit holder is red gum in boiled linseed oil finish, and the other is black walnut with teak oil finish. And oh yea the bit holder was silver and I chucked it up in the lathe and polished it and cold blue it too look better in my opinion. 

43EF8603-CBAC-4EEC-B1CD-CBA13E4C2874.jpeg

2366DB2A-31DD-4B8F-A51C-C8C83C48A9EF.jpeg

5A3BCAC9-C52C-47D3-9228-62969EFF1959.jpeg

Well I decided to make a chamber mop for our 12 G double barrels to match our screwdriver. Both are black walnut. 
I also made another one for our club match drawing. It’s a curly maple with aluminum driver holder.  Both finished with teak oil. 

27E86797-4234-4F05-902F-D4F8F196530A.jpeg

78E6B34C-2B7F-4BA0-A25F-BCAE2E0A3458.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Chancy Shot, SASS #67163 said:

You don't get away that easy.  What is the brass?  What is the blade?  What is the process??

If it looks that good, inquiring minds what to know.

Chancy

.303 brass

Flat bit out of an old set, I turned it down a little on the lathe and soldered it in.

Pretty happy how it turned out.

Archived