SASS Wire Forum

Happy Birthday Mr Martin

Sedalia Dave

Did you notice, that of them five pickers, four of 'em was watching their fingers all the time they were picking.

Earl did look at his left hand a couple of times, but mostly he was looking at the audience.

I don't want to be casting asparagus, 'cause I cain't pick no banjo, but it seems to me that if you're really good with a stringed instrument, you don't have to be watching where your fingers are going.

27 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Did you notice, that of them five pickers, four of 'em was watching their fingers all the time they were picking.

Earl did look at his left hand a couple of times, but mostly he was looking at the audience.

I don't want to be casting asparagus, 'cause I cain't pick no banjo, but it seems to me that if you're really good with a stringed instrument, you don't have to be watching where your fingers are going.

A good friend of mine watched his hands when he played because it kept his mind off the crowd that was watching him. He was in several bands. Never made it big though. I always thought it was funny that he wanted to make it big but he was an introvert. 

34 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have always liked Steve Martin. His humor is a bit off key but I find it hilarious. 
I loved the movie “The Jerk”. 

image.jpeg.d4864d4bff2b5638cd6810b381feb0d6.jpeg

What was the dogs name?:D

I have not seen him in anything for a long time.  He is 76 but is in a comedy murder mystery premiering on Hulu this month.  Unfortunately I don't get Hulu.  Co-stars Selena Gomez and Martin Short.

image.jpeg

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

Yeah, a real loser. I've known a couple of people who read the sheet music when they played. Imagine that...I thought the music was great, but that was before I knew they.....looked.

6 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

What was the dogs name?:D

I thought it was “California Politician” but I looked it up and I was right!

The dog’s name was “Sh**head”. ;)

8 hours ago, Alpo said:

And if you are really good with a gun, you don't look at your sights either.

I can play the guitar, actually a 12-string fairly well.   And I can play some songs in the dark (not looking).

But on stuff that might be new, or have a difficult chord..... I have to peak.

..........Widder

5 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

And if you are really good with a gun, you don't look at your sights either

Actually, I compare it more to if you're good with a keyboard, you don't have to look at the keys. You know where they're at.

I've never seen a violinist tilt their head so they can see where to put their fingers. Or a cellist.

I see nothing wrong with looking if you're doing something difficult. As I said in my original post, Mr. Scruggs looked a couple of times. But mostly he looked at the audience, because he seemed to know where his fingers needed to be. The other four guys watched their hands constantly.

8 hours ago, Alpo said:

And Paul Shaffer watched his fingers and the keys while playing his riff on the piano.

Eddie Van Halen watched his fingers while playing the guitar, unless he was singing or engaging the audience.

I think if I were Earl Scruggs I’d be watching my fingers too and thinking, “ Holy cow!  You’re amazing!”

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

Actually, I compare it more to if you're good with a keyboard, you don't have to look at the keys. You know where they're at.

I've never seen a violinist tilt their head so they can see where to put their fingers. Or a cellist.

I see nothing wrong with looking if you're doing something difficult. As I said in my original post, Mr. Scruggs looked a couple of times. But mostly he looked at the audience, because he seemed to know where his fingers needed to be. The other four guys watched their hands constantly.

If you practice something long enough you don't have to look but occasionally you may. I play some guitar and piano and I glance down to make sure I'm doing it right but if it's a tune I play all the I don't have to. Apparently Steve was being careful and making sure he was doing it right after all he was playing for a TV audience of possibly millions of people. There's a lot of superb musicians that look at their fingers maybe just occasionally but they do look. 

All those that can actually play a guitar  raise your hands....you can critique the playing.

Peanut Gallery attendees? Not so much :P

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

If you practice something long enough you don't have to look but occasionally you may. I play some guitar and piano and I glance down to make sure I'm doing it right but if it's a tune I play all the I don't have to. Apparently Steve was being careful and making sure he was doing it right after all he was playing for a TV audience of possibly millions of people. There's a lot of superb musicians that look at their fingers maybe just occasionally but they do look. 

Hey, I've been driving for 35 years and I still have to look down at the brake and gas pedal. :mellow:

3 hours ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Am I the only one who never really liked Steve Martin?

Some of his comedy was ok. Some I didn't care for.

I do like his banjo picking.

7 hours ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Am I the only one who never really liked Steve Martin?

........................................................................................ no, you are not .......

I find most of his SNL skits to be over-extended; if he'd just stop sooner, they would be funnier.

Never liked "idiot" movies; laughing at someone who is dense or impaired is not high on my list.

But Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, which he made with Michael Caine, had me rolling in the aisle.  Very clever and funny movie.

22 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

All those that can actually play a guitar  raise your hands....you can critique the playing.

Peanut Gallery attendees? Not so much :P

I started off playing guitar and switched to drums in my teens, I went on to make a living playing in a band and teaching, I even had a music store for awhile. I got into piano tuning 35 years ago. I also play some piano. I'm not proficient on guitar or piano but I do still play for my own enjoyment. I've been messing around with guitar for 60 years. Can I raise my hand??

Archived