SASS Wire Forum

Fires in CA

That is all I can think about lately. The Calder Fire started six miles away from us. Luckily, knock on wood, it is moving away from us. It is totally out of control and in very rugged terrain. It has burned 53,000 acres

The Dixie Fire (a current Fire in No. CA) is the biggest fire in CA history. 

:( :( :( :( 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

That is all I can think about lately. The Calder Fire started six miles away from us. Luckily, knock on wood, it is moving away from us. It is totally out of control and in very rugged terrain. It has burned 53,000 acres

Hugs and prayers!!!

Saw an article on catching some nut-job 'proffessor'/ college speaker who they believe set several of the fires.

38 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I wish you good luck and I pray they stay away from you!!

30 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

He should be charged with attempted murder and, if anyone died, first-degree murder.

I noticed on a fire map of CA that some hot spots were at regular intervals along major roads. It looked suspicious.

The losses are heartbreaking. Even the losses of "things," which have memories attached, sadden me.

Years ago in SoCal there were frequent fires. Reports kept coming in of a gray van seen in many fire areas just before a fire erupted. So-called “environmentalists” were thought to be starting fires because they knew that any area that burned would be off limits to people except to those designated as conservationists by the people in power. The Sierra Club was one of these approved groups. I am sure it’s still that way. 

Someone should look into Joe Dirtbag and see what his affiliations are. 
Gary Stephen Maynard, 47 = Joe Dirtbag. 

13 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

We've been issued an Evacuation Warning, which means be ready for an Evacuation Notice.

Scary stuff.   Get your important documents,  meds, and computers loaded up.

If you have a travel trailer,  load it up and get hooked up. 

11 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

He should be charged with attempted murder and, if anyone died, first-degree murder.

I noticed on a fire map of CA that some hot spots were at regular intervals along major roads. It looked suspicious.

The losses are heartbreaking. Even the losses of "things," which have memories attached, sadden me.

He should be tied  and staked out in the path of the fire.

Hope you don't have to evacuate but if you do good luck and prayers for you!!

I know you're feeling the heat but we've been smelling and seeing the smoke from the western fires since spring.  Every day is hazy.   

https://fire.airnow.gov/

If you go to the upper right and poke the layers icon you can turn off the sensors locations and just get the fires and smoke.   Most up to date info I've found.

We lived in the California mountains for 35 yrs. After 2 major fires came within a half mi from our house, I called it quits 3 years ago and moved down to the valley. The air is dirty, the noise is constant, can't shoot, no room. But also, no well to go dry, no fires, no snakes, no hour drive to the nearest store, no full time maintenance just to keep things going and close to doctors. It's a trade off for sure. Chrissy, you are a old and dear friend. If I could help, I would.

Hope all goes well for you & the fire misses your home!

3 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I know you're feeling the heat but we've been smelling and seeing the smoke from the western fires since spring.  Every day is hazy.   

https://fire.airnow.gov/

If you go to the upper right and poke the layers icon you can turn off the sensors locations and just get the fires and smoke.   Most up to date info I've found.

That's an excellent resource, Warden!

Now, if you scroll northward, you'll see an abrupt reduction of fires when you cross into Canada - where sound forest management policies are still practiced.

The air pollution is simply staggering... > 500 on the AQI scale.
Lung cancer is going be rampant here in a few years.

I bought a number of Walmart 20" box fans and cases of 20x20 MERV-13 air filters.
I run the fans in pairs, because axial type fans have little draw as a single fan.
My buddy in NZ is a fan engineer.. said to tape two together... a huge improvement in draw.

I have three pair running throughout the house.
So far, it stinks outside and burns the eyes.. but none inside the house.
I normally run a MERV-13 20x30 filter in the house system as well.

I also bought a 3M dual can N100 respirator for trips out of the house.

Allie,

I hope the fire isn't burning in you direction.  The wind here in Fallon, has shifted to NNW.  This is a good thing for us since we have been breathing unhealthy smokey air for more than a month.  I still can't see the Sierras though. 

Assemble vital papers, passports, ID documents.
One of my clients was burned out in Granite Bay... got out with only their pajamas.
Everything else was gone.
Car keys, heirlooms, ID, paperwork, photos, license, credit cards etc.

Imagine going to your bank in pajamas, trying to get $$ so you can get clothing, etc.
They had to hire a guy to Slim Jim their car to get inside, hook up his computer and fabricate an ignition key.
BMW would not make them a key without ID... and ID burned up in the fire.

Imagine being out on the street in PJs or buck naked.
Think what you need from that point of view.

If you have a safe haven, more your treasures until the fires get under control.

Bruce,

One of the first things I did was move the vital papers to the trailer. Hubby put the water tank (35 gallons) and generator in the back of the truck and attached the trailer. 

We have three cats and cat carriers. I put their food in the trailer. I've got bags of clothes ready to take.

As far as stuff, it would be impossible to decide what to take. 

16 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Scary stuff.   Get your important documents,  meds, and computers loaded up.

If you have a travel trailer,  load it up and get hooked up. 

I just got a three-month supply of meds. They are in my grab-and-go bag. Hubby will take care of his stuff. 

Since morning, the fire hasn't moved this way.

When my clients were burned out, they awoke to their house on fire.
They had 60 seconds to run... both their cats panicked and ran into the blazing house and died.

If fire comes... you will have just about enough time to save your neck... nothing else.
Imagine yourself out in the street in your PJs... then think about what you need first.

DSC_0209.perspective.gauss25.5.sfw.720.jpg

Archived