SASS Wire Forum

Time for some levity ~ fun suggestions sought!

So... Helen Brimstone's son is getting married this weekend.  And he has asked her to come up with a song/music for a Mother/Son dance.

TO put this delicately... the things that she immediately comes up with might be kinda "sappy" (my word, not hers! :lol:)

Now, thinking about a segue mebbe from something traditional to something just plain fun.

All I could come up with were the "plain fun" type... like "The Hokey Pokey."  If I keep thinking, I'm gonna get in trouble.   She thought of "Baby Shark."  :rolleyes:

Suggestions?  For both?  :)

I have never been to a wedding that played appropriate music. 

If you are after two songs, i’m thinking something like “Stairway to Heaven” and “Highway to Hell”.   Once you have Led Zeppelin and AC/DC taken care of, you can play anything you want. :D

I took two years of accordion lessons at age 8-9, followed by a year of counseling at age 44.  Coincidence?  I think not.

Mack the knife?

What's Helen Brimstone like for music?

Years ago I played in a pretty high end wedding/bar(t)-mizvah/event band in the DC area.  Band is still going.  They're called Onyx and book out of the Washington Talent Agency.  This dance is about what's meaningful for mom.  My Favorite Things from Sound of Music is a good one, if she likes that sort of thing.

50 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Fun = Chicken Dance :D

There are people that attended my wedding to Mrs. Doc over thirty years ago who say we aren't legally married because The Chicken Dance and The Hockey Pokey were not played at our wedding.

59 minutes ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

I have never been to a wedding that played appropriate music. 

If you are after two songs, i’m thinking something like “Stairway to Heaven” and “Highway to Hell”.   Once you have Led Zeppelin and AC/DC taken care of, you can play anything you want. :D

Nah, if you're going to do AC/DC , you need to go with 'Problem Child.' What parent hasn't thought their child was a problem child at least once!

My greatest fear is that if and when my daughters get married, they'll play House at Pooh Corner by Kenny Loggins for the father/daughter dance. I think I could remain stoic for just about anything else, except maybe Zeppelin's Born-Yr-Aur Stomp. Yes, I know it's about Robert Plant's dog, but I've been singing it to them since my oldest was still in the womb.

33 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Fun?   Why, you can't beat a good old fashioned POLKA!

With a bunch of CAS shooters around, if someone hears "And-a one, And-a two, And-a tree" it could end poorly.

Simplest thang would be to call "Milk Bone" and tell them to entertain.

"Milk Bone" would be Blackwater's band.

12 hours ago, DocWard said:

My greatest fear is that if and when my daughters get married, they'll play House at Pooh Corner by Kenny Loggins for the father/daughter dance. I think I could remain stoic for just about anything else, except maybe Zeppelin's Born-Yr-Aur Stomp. Yes, I know it's about Robert Plant's dog, but I've been singing it to them since my oldest was still in the womb.

Pooh Corner will have you doing the Hanky Dance!!!

1 hour ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Pooh Corner will have you doing the Hanky Dance!!!

Without a doubt. 

Butterfly Kisses by Bob Carlisle

Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd?

Probably not...

Not sure that this would suffice for a Mother/Son dance, but I believe it to be one of the most heart felt and appropriate Wedding songs ever to be recorded.....Oh, if today's culture had the same talent instead of the raunchy stuff called rap..........

Gene McDaniels ~ A Hundred Pounds of Clay (1961) - YouTube

I’ve played tons of weddings and the Chicken Dance is a big favorite especially when everyone is half in the bag!!:lol:

So the song should be mellow and not overpowering and easy to dance to on a slower pace.

With their harmonies,  I would suggest:

I've performed many, many weddings, I've seen plenty of receptions, and someday I do hope to see bride and groom spinning down the aisle to "Turkey in the Straw" as I've written in the Firelands tales ...
There's a hell raising redneck bar, or at least used to be, between Athens and Chauncey.

A couple met there, they wanted to be married there, the moment I pronounced them man and wife ...
THUMP

THUMP

THUMP

ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST!

I bless the immortal Frank Kelsey for that memory!

My daughter had Butterfly Kisses played at her dance.  I soaked her dress with tears.  It's hard to give up your little girl no matter how old they are.

Chicken Dance is staple here.  Hokey Pokey is good too.  How about the Confederate Railroad - I like my women on the trashy side?  That sounds like fun.

Archived