SASS Wire Forum

One last post. Ashes to ashes.

Utah Bob #35998

This is Elk Rock. It is the highest sandstone outcropping on the property, 100 ft above the dry creek bed. I named it Elk Rock because it was from there I fist saw some elk in the late winter of 2006. Yesterday, with a gentle northwest breeze, I scattered Carol’s and our son Bill’s ashes there. One of the hardest things I’ve ever done but it gave me some small feeling of closure. They are both now forever part of the spirit of the Lazy Bob Ranch. :(

885B56A2-B80F-47D9-8BE6-4AE998634E35.jpeg

94BE44BC-1501-40AA-91B4-F3EEF09F255B.jpeg

Well done, friend.  Well done.

As I recall, you lost your son, Bill, in the month of August also.  I can't even begin to imagine your loss.  But I do know, Bob, that you will carry on as you must.   I pray that the Good Lord will help lighten your load.

I have no words...

Thank you for sharing this...

My prayers for you.  May our Father in Heaven give you comfort.  Remember all of the many memories you have of them both.

Mere words are always so very inadequate. 

But other than our presence, words are all we have to offer. 

This life is very tough, and the older one gets, the tougher life gets. 

But we know this is not the only existence. There is too much proof, out there...from the telescope, to the microscope, and everywhere in between.

That knowledge gives us the hope, and the strength, and the presence of mind, to keep us from going insane in our present grief, and our loss. 

What helps me, besides studying the proofs, and the evidence, is knowing that my loved ones have simply gone on ahead, and are waiting for me, at end of trail. This life is short, and full of troubles. Eternity is, well, eternal, and that makes the short time we have here, as not even a drop in the bucket. 

It seems like a long, lonely time, now...like most things we have to endure now. But when we look back, it seems short.

Our loved ones are, after all, only a heart beat away. 

But we have to live, and by living, we keep their memory alive, and we are able tell others about them, and share our memories of them. 

We honor them by living, and telling others about them. 

How long will we remember them? For as long as we live.

How long will God remember them? For as long as HE lives. 

Each day we live, brings us a day closer to them.

But, again...mere words are so inadequate, at a time like this. 

So very inadequate. 

Bob may God give you peace and strength.  I cannot think of a better place than the Lazy Bob for their final resting place.  During this time of grieving embrace your memories, be strong, but if you want to talk myself and many others of your SASS family are here for you.  

A good place to go and see them, share the view, and share the memories.

God grant you peace!

Go up there whenever you can and talk to them.  I know it sounds foolish and trite, but it has helped me for over five years.

I wish I had an Elk Rock, but Shawna is in Clearfield, Utah with her parents and her brother, but the distance doesn't matter.  I have a direct line to her. 

You have my deepest sympathies UB.  I know your heart is heavy and your soul is tired, but keep the happy memories close to your heart.  

Epitaph
By Merrit Malloy

When I die
Give what’s left of me away
To children
And old me that wait to die.

And if you need to cry,
Cry for your brother
Walking the street beside you.
And when you need me,
Put your arms
Around anyone
And give them
What you need to give to me.

I want to leave you something,
Something better
Than words
Or sounds.

Look for me
In the people I’ve known
Or loved,
And if you cannot give me away,
At least let me live on in your eyes
And not your mind.

You can love me most
By letting
Hands touch hands,
By letting bodies touch bodies,
And by letting go
Of children
That need to be free.

Love doesn’t die,
People do.
So, when all that’s left of me
Is love,
Give me away.

My hand on your shoulder, my friend.

You have done them a final honor, and that is the mark of a man: that he does this, knowing how hard it will be.

You have my heart felt admiration for quality of character you displayed during these last few years and the completion of the hardest task of all.

Semper Fi  

My sincerest condolences U.B. Elk Rock is beautiful resting place.

Archived