SASS Wire Forum

Rossi SxS Experts?

Joke 'um

Does anyone have a 'spare parts list' for the Rossi Overland SxS hammered coach gun you'd care to share?  What, if anything, breaks frequently?

Thanx.  Just got one.

7 minutes ago, Joke 'um said:

Does anyone have a 'spare parts list' for the Rossi Overland SxS hammered coach gun you'd care to share?  What, if anything, breaks frequently?

Thanx.  Just got one.

@Cliff Hanger #3720LR might can give you the information you want.  He's a Rossi shooter.

I've been mostly shooting the same Overland since I started about 2005 or so, Win AA FL/X-Lite/Lite, 1-1/8oz Real BP, 1-1/8oz Pyrodex loads, and I've had no issues other than a bit of light strikes on the left hammer, but only with the reloads.  The minor annoyance is that the screws on the sideplates sometimes loosen, so it's become a habit to check them at the loading table.

There is a tale that the hinge is weak, especially if stressed by leaving it open in the gun cart and bouncing it around could cause it to break.  When I put it in the cart I put a dust cover on it, which technically suffices as a gun case under Michigan DNR law, and leave it closed.

My primary and backup Overlands both lack the full cross bolt (Greener) lockup.

I should check the other backup....

FWJ

List of parts that break.

1. The firing pin retaining nuts will crack. They are very hard and I had my gunsmith make new ones out of a better steel that have held up since the late 1990s.

Sorry to say, my gunsmith is no longer with us.

2. Firing pins are made of a soft metal and will mushroom after a bit of time. Again I had my gunsmith make new one from a better steel.

3. I have had 2 frames break right behind the barrel hinge pin. I was able to find parts receives at a gun store that did gunsmith work. The shotgun had all the side locks and barrels taken for other work.

4. I have 1 that has the rear stock toe broken. About a 1/2" sliver is missing and has been that ways since about 1993. This is my primary shotgun and was shot 5 to 8 matches a month. Now it stands in the corner where I can grab it as I go to the front or back door as I leave my office.

5. The front sight has a very small post holding the bead up. I broke many of these off bumping props. I replaced it with a 1/8" diameter brass rod with the top rounded off. When I shoot, I do not use the bead. I use the side of the barrel rib and the curve of the left barrel. The "V'" they make. The rod bead has been there for years.

As far as parts, you will have to ask all the guns stores and gunsmiths you can.  I was lucky enough to have a gunsmith as a good friend. "Old Scout" who would make these parts.

Archived