Rumlins 

Ruglins

Margers 

Marlugers 

Rugerlins 

Rumarlingers

"Marlins" :P

Hopefully "High Quality Marlins" ;)

Chrysler bought Jeep. I never heard one referred to as a Chreep. They are still a Jeep. Whether they were made by Willis. Whether they were made by AMC. Or whether they are made by Chrysler. They're a Jeep.

Savage bought Stevens. Did anyone ever call the guns Savens?

Holly carburetor used to own Colt. Did anyone call them a Holt?

There will be, I am sure, jerks out there that wish to combine the names. Like Bragelina. But hopefully most people will call them Marlins.

13 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Chrysler bought Jeep. I never heard one referred to as a Chreep. They are still a Jeep. Whether they were made by Willis. Whether they were made by AMC. Or whether they are made by Chrysler. They're a Jeep.

Savage bought Stevens. Did anyone ever call the guns Savens?

Holly carburetor used to own Colt. Did anyone call them a Holt?

There will be, I am sure, jerks out there that wish to combine the names. Like Bragelina. But hopefully most people will call them Marlins.

It’s the age of laziness. Actually I think it’s an instinctual tendency to save on syllables for a longer life. At least that is what it seems like. Use less syllables live longer. Kind of like those people that are convinced that you only have so many heartbeats available until you die. 

The Brangelina thing is people stooping to the lowest common denominator of intelligence, or lack thereof. Perhaps bastardizing names is a similar thing. 

Smython

Smolt

Studillac

The practice has some history to it.  

The "Remlin" tag came along as a method of differentiating between pre Remington ownership of Marlin and post ownership.  The Remington made Marlins have a "REM" stamp on the barrel.

19 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

The Brangelina thing is people stooping to the lowest common denominator of intelligence, or lack thereof. Perhaps bastardizing names is a similar thing. 

“The Lowest Common Denominator” That is the trouble with a lot of what is happening here (in this country).

It eliminates the need for idiots to think before the act. “Just walk across the street without looking, it’s the drivers responsibility not to hit you, not yours to make sure there is no motor vehicle traffic.”

I am amazed that there are not more people who are “dead right” lying in the streets of our cities. Fortunately I don’t live in a City.

I case you haven’t figured it out, this is a pet peeve of mine! 

Will I now be chastised for venting a political view?

CJ

25 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

The Brangelina thing is people stooping to the lowest common denominator of intelligence, or lack thereof.

Nah, that was simply stooping down to the IQ level of Brad and Angelina. Bennifer as well.

I have high hopes for the new Ruglins (sorry), but considering how Ruger's own QC has gone downhill in the last decade or so I'm a little nervous.

38 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Smython

Smolt

Studillac

The practice has some history to it. 

A smython is a Smith & Wesson with a python barrel on it. A smolt is also a Smith & Wesson with a python barrel on it. A Studillac is a Studebaker with a Cadillac engine in it.

Not a python made by Smith & Wesson (that is a model 586). Not a Cadillac made by Studebaker instead of by General Motors. It is a mixture of the two.

Mossberg, for a while, made replacement barrels for Remington shotguns. I suppose if you put one of these Mossberg made barrels on your 870 you could refer to your 870 as a Remberg.

If Marlin, as a company, was still in business, and made replacement shotgun barrels for Remington, then you're YOUR Remington shotgun with a Marlin barrel on it could certainly be called a remlin.

Are you going to start referring to CCI ammunition as FedCI, because the company that owns Federal also owns CCI? That would be quite stupid, wouldn't it. How about Cheviac, because the company don't THAT OWNS Chevrolet also owns Pontiac? Should we start calling office supply stores Office Demax, because Office Depot bought Office Max?

The point I'm attempting to make, in case it's not obvious, is this is a stupid stupid idea.

Just now, Alpo said:

A smython is a Smith & Wesson with a python barrel on it. A smolt is also a Smith & Wesson with a python barrel on it. A Studillac is a Studebaker with a Cadillac engine in it.

Not a python made by Smith & Wesson (that is a model 586). Not a Cadillac made by Studebaker instead of by General Motors. It is a mixture of the two.

Mossberg, for a while, made replacement barrels for Remington shotguns. I suppose if you put one of these Mossberg made barrels on your 870 you could refer to your 870 as a Remberg.

If Marlin, as a company, was still in business, and made replacement shotgun barrels for Remington, then you're Remington shotgun with a Marlin barrel on it could certainly be called a remlin.

Are you going to start referring to CCI ammunition as FedCI, because the company that owns Federal also owns CCI? That would be quite stupid, wouldn't it. How about Cheviac, because the company don't Chevrolet also owns Pontiac? Should we start calling office supply stores Office Demax, because Office Depot bought Office Max?

The point I'm attempting to make, in case it's not obvious, is this is a stupid stupid idea.

Cute catchy phrases are en vogue.  Every heard of a Norinco or IAC copy of the 1897 referred to as a "Chinchester"?  I have.  Whether you think they're stupid or not, they're here to stay.  BTW, I have two Mossberg made barrels for 870 Remingtons...they work as well as the original manufacturer's product.  

I am praying, and hoping, to call them: "excellent, quality, traditional, on a par with the JM Marlins". If they do turn out an excellent rifle, on a par with the old JM Marlins, then they earn the right to be called "Marlin". 

Anything less, they just might as well not reintroduce them. They have a lot to make up for, from the Remington versions. 

We shall see....at some point. 

Remlin ,,, Gremlins is what was mostly made by Remington, So smiths started calling them Remlins.....

I trust that Ruger will make them up to snuff and we can go back to calling them Marlins. 

No mention of pay scale but the job sounds intriguing ( short time only ) for this old Smith ....

Too far away to really consider and I need another job like a hole in the head ...

Jabez Cowboy 

31 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Cute catchy phrases are en vogue.  Every heard of a Norinco or IAC copy of the 1897 referred to as a "Chinchester"?  I have.  Whether you think they're stupid or not, they're here to stay

Yes I have heard of a chinchester. I have also heard of a Mossy and a Remy and a Norc and a deagle and a Springer and a shotty and ...

And they're all stupid. And if other people that thought they were stupid weWOULD quit using the terms, then maybe the terms will go away. Then we can work on calling a neckerchief a neckerchief again instead of a wild rag. Maybe even get where they call a chin strap a chin strap instead of a stampede string.

1 minute ago, Alpo said:

Yes I have heard of a chinchester. I have also heard of a Mossy and a Remy and a Norc and a deagle and a Springer and a shotty and ...

And they're all stupid. And if other people that thought they were stupid weWOULD quit using the terms, then maybe the terms will go away. Then we can work on calling a neckerchief a neckerchief again instead of a wild rag. Maybe even get where they call a chin strap a chin strap instead of a stampede string.

I'm gonna just leave you with this little rant.  You have a nice day.  Maybe nobody will say hurtful things to you.   

THE AMERICAN BANTAM CO. designed the Jeep.  Between the time that bids were taken and the contract was to be awarded, they went out of business. GM, Willys, Ford, Studebaker, and several other smaller manufacturers were contracted to build and assemble the Jeep, (a bastardization of “GP”, the military designation for “general purpose” vehicle.

Postwar civilian Jeeps were made by Willys and Kaiser, again using parts manufactured by GM and Ford and by several other automotive parts manufacturers. Kaiser and Willys merged for a short time and eventually American Motors/Rambler took over Jeep production. Later, Chrysler bought out AMC, merged for a while with Daimler, split off and was assumed by Fiat/Allis Chalmers, and now belongs to who knows, this week!

Through all of this, with extreme variations in quality, it’s still been Jeep!!

In the sixties, Harley Davidson was acquired by AMF, a sporting goods manufacturer. While often ridiculed and derided, the AMF Harleys were vastly improved during that period! Disc brakes, improved fuel systems, VASTLY improved electrical systems, better suspension, and modern ignition were just the major upgrades.  The Davidson family then bought the company back and “went public” by offering stock in the company. Because of AMF, Harley Davidson has survived.

Marlin has endured the same kind of history!!  The company has changed hands numerous times. When Remington took over, the Marlin production facility was at the end of its useful life. Each gun was hand tuned to pass minimum acceptable standards. Basically, gunsmithed enough to be sold. To make one competitive, it needed more work, just like a Winchester, a Pedersoli, a Winchester clone produced by any of the European manufacturers, the Rossi/Taurus clones, and even the new Miroku rifles sold under the Winchester name!  

Now the tooling and machinery has been replaced/updated and a new facility is in operation.  Ruger will profit from the work that Remington did, if they are willing to support the brand and finish the process.

I have and still shoot Marlin shotguns from the 1898 line!

I ride one of those AMF Harleys and it has over 1/3 of a million miles on it!

I also have and am rebuilding a 1960 Jeep. I drove it into the shop where I started work on it!

If it weren’t for these other companies stepping in and keeping these brands alive, ya’s wouldn’t have new products to ridicule and bitch about!!  For me?  I’m glad they did step up!! Nothing that has come out of all this change is really a bad thing.  Those products are still here and still available!!

Well I'm still waiting to see what the first CZolts are going to look like. :huh:

I hope the "new" Marlin brings back the rimfires, as those were among the best guns they made. I'd like to see the Model 60 brought back with the longer barrel and full-length magazine tube like it was pre-1989. A resurrected Model 39A of course would be really sweet, but unless they can come up with a less expensive way to make it (that won't turn buyers off) that one might never see the light of day again.

They should just be stamped "MARLIN."  ;)

There will be no doubt as to the manufacturer when  one encounters the barrel inscription:

BEFORE USING GUN - READ WARNINGS IN INSTRUCTION MANUAL

= AVAILABLE FREE FROM =

STURM, RUGER AND COMPANY, 1 LACEY PL, SOUTHPORT, CT

:rolleyes:

You can credit Remington for moving the Marlin centerfire lever gun manufacturing into the 21st century, which is the only way to make a high-quality firearm at an affordable price.  Remington went tango uniform before they could recoup the investment.

P.S. Since Ruger bought everything Marlin except for the facilities, I would expect that they will put the Marlin name on these rifles.

4 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

THE AMERICAN BANTAM CO. designed the Jeep.  Between the time that bids were taken and the contract was to be awarded, they went out of business. GM, Willys, Ford, Studebaker, and several other smaller manufacturers were contracted to build and assemble the Jeep, (a bastardization of “GP”, the military designation for “general purpose” vehicle.

Postwar civilian Jeeps were made by Willys and Kaiser, again using parts manufactured by GM and Ford and by several other automotive parts manufacturers. Kaiser and Willys merged for a short time and eventually American Motors/Rambler took over Jeep production. Later, Chrysler bought out AMC, merged for a while with Daimler, split off and was assumed by Fiat/Allis Chalmers, and now belongs to who knows, this week!

Through all of this, with extreme variations in quality, it’s still been Jeep!!

In the sixties, Harley Davidson was acquired by AMF, a sporting goods manufacturer. While often ridiculed and derided, the AMF Harleys were vastly improved during that period! Disc brakes, improved fuel systems, VASTLY improved electrical systems, better suspension, and modern ignition were just the major upgrades.  The Davidson family then bought the company back and “went public” by offering stock in the company. Because of AMF, Harley Davidson has survived.

Marlin has endured the same kind of history!!  The company has changed hands numerous times. When Remington took over, the Marlin production facility was at the end of its useful life. Each gun was hand tuned to pass minimum acceptable standards. Basically, gunsmithed enough to be sold. To make one competitive, it needed more work, just like a Winchester, a Pedersoli, a Winchester clone produced by any of the European manufacturers, the Rossi/Taurus clones, and even the new Miroku rifles sold under the Winchester name!  

Now the tooling and machinery has been replaced/updated and a new facility is in operation.  Ruger will profit from the work that Remington did, if they are willing to support the brand and finish the process.

I have and still shoot Marlin shotguns from the 1898 line!

I ride one of those AMF Harleys and it has over 1/3 of a million miles on it!

I also have and am rebuilding a 1960 Jeep. I drove it into the shop where I started work on it!

If it weren’t for these other companies stepping in and keeping these brands alive, ya’s wouldn’t have new products to ridicule and bitch about!!  For me?  I’m glad they did step up!! Nothing that has come out of all this change is really a bad thing.  Those products are still here and still available!!

I love a positive attitude.

4 hours ago, Johnny Loco said:

I heard the stainless 336 30-30 is up first

I wonder if the 338's will be built again...

Here's the latest report from Ruger's CEO to the financial press a few days ago:

Inside The Call: Ruger CEO Details Path To 50 Percent Growth, Price Increases And Marlin Rollout | SGB Media Online (sgbonline.com)

They are starting with the 1894, 1895, and 336.

Up-to-date report...

8 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

They should just be stamped "MARLIN."  ;)

There will be no doubt as to the manufacturer when  one encounters the barrel inscription:

:rolleyes:

Oh...dang! I had not thought of that!!! I hope they don't put the stupid warning on the barrel. Good grief!!! Gun veterans don't need it, and gun rookies don't heed it, so why do it? And...it does not prevent them from being sued. 

If I buy one, and that is on the barrel, I will grind it off. 

I have a "pre-warning" Ruger single action, in .45 Colt, and even without the warning, I have never shot myself, or anybody else with it. Go figure! 

21 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Just pray that FedEx and UPS never merge, or else we'll be calling them Fed Up. <_<

There was a time when UPS was pronounced "OOPS".  I'm glad they outgrew that phase, because I have had dealings with both FedEx and UPS and find both to be beyond reproach.

On 8/16/2021 at 9:23 AM, Alpo said:

To be fair, no matter who held the keys to the factory, Jeep still stood for,

Just

Empty 

Every 

Pocket

:ph34r:

Archived