SASS Wire Forum

CNC plasma cutters?

I like to build and create, mostly in wood.  Lately I’ve been adding metal to the repertoire of materials, and been thinking about a CNC plasma cutter to add variety.  

I know the Saloon has a variety of hobbies and skilled trades, and was wondering if anybody might have used a small cutter at some point.  Here’s one I found on the internet, but have very little experience as to what features I’m looking for.

As always, the Saloon’s help is much appreciated.

Charlie, have you got a link to that cnc machine?  I don't know beans about them but am interested in reading about what you found.....

Well, I take that back.  I did talk to someone who used some kind of machine to cut out fancy signs out of steel.  I assume that it was a plasma cutter.  She (yes, a lady was operating the machine) and she said they were dangerous and one had to be very careful.  Something it produced as a bi-product in the cutting was bad for your health.  Don't know if this is the same kind of machine or not.

Dr. O. R.

I have used one. Quite handy.  Was a 4x4 table.  Things to look at is probably table size and power (amps).  The power will determine how thick you can cut.   Table size is self explanatory.   The one thing we found was getting steel on and off the table can be an issue for larger/thicker sheets.  Having a way to lift sheets is important.  
the setup I used had an overhead rail with a cable lift on it.  Then we used lifting magnets to attach to the sheet.  

What is your budget?   The one you put up the link for seems like a capable machine for home shop, but you will need to buy a plasma cutter if you dont already have one, water table is really nice to have.  

We have the Arclight Dynamics machine with the router addition, water table and several other addons.  That is a 15K investment, but very little cannot be done with that machine, cabinet work, metal cutting engraving, and with some manipulating good welding set up.  My son is a professional cabinet maker as well as building barn doors and manufactures custom hardware for windows, doors, cabinets etc. That machine is fun and works very well.

I've looked at those home plasma cutters myself.  I have also thought about getting a CNC printer, laser engraver, the list goes on.  The only thing holding me back is the inability to do CAD.  You can down load a lot of drawings and artwork but for original stuff you have to do the drawing yourself.  It has been 50 years (my gawd, am I really that old?) since I did any drawings of consequence and that was done on a drafting table with a T-square and triangles.  I still have my engineering scale/ruler.  I do have the luxury of having a toolroom and toolmakers at my disposal.  Great guys to have if you need a firing pin for an antique shotgun.  I am lucky indeed.  Fortunately, I have other projects to keep me busy and sunsets I haven't seen yet.  Good luck.

I have worked in precision metal since 1989; bought, programmed and operated CNC mills, lasers, plasmas and punches.

Plasma cutters are okay but the quality of cut and the range of materials/thicknesses will depend on you investment.

High-definition plasma creates a cyclone of gases at the focal point and makes a nice cut, a poor man's laser.

Standard plasma has a wider kerf and rougher cut.

Adjusting the cut geometry, speed and consumables is required for good cuts.

In plasma-cutting, the cutting flame is affected by nearby material and can be misshapen due to speed and nearby material.

Works well for steels and stainless.  Red metals and aluminum, not so much.

Archived