SASS Wire Forum

Trying to figure out my sugar

Trigger Mike

I got the freestyle Libre glucose monitor .  Now I'm trying to figure out how to fix my numbers.  

I put it on today.  This afternoon it was 189 when I put it on.   It slowly dropped as supper approached.   It was 144 before I ate eggs, sausage, biscuit with tomato gravy and biscuit with jelly, milk and black coffee. 30 minutes later it was 250.

I stayed active playing a game of axis and allies with my 11 year old, getting up to roll dice etc.  Still 240.  I did some pushups and it went to 217.  I did some more, 218.  I did jumping jacks and drank a half cup of black coffee and it went to 232.  I.miss being normal. 

Biscuits, jelly, and milk.

Biscuits are pure carbohydrates, jelly is nearly pure sugar, and the milk is high in sugar as well.

Takes a WHILE to dissipate those sugars and the carbs take time to first turn to sugars and then disburse.  The numbers rise rapidly, but it takes a while and they drop slowly.

did that as well, finally down to 177.  I always eat a piece of cheese before bed, though my wife didn't eat her boiled egg this morning so I will eat it for my bedtime snack.  Then I will drink a cup of water before my shower and then another cup when I lay down .  

1 minute ago, Trigger Mike said:

Don't believe I've seen coconut sugar but will look for it.  

Maldava(?) 

It is white package with 1/2 coconut on it.

Pricey...but 1/2 spoon. =2 sugars.

Aspen Filly got us using it...well, Shanley...I stopped using sugar in my coffee!

2 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Biscuits, jelly, and milk.

Biscuits are pure carbohydrates, jelly is nearly pure sugar, and the milk is high in sugar as well.

Takes a WHILE to dissipate those sugars and the carbs take time to first turn to sugars and then disburse.  The numbers rise rapidly, but it takes a while and they drop slowly.

this ^^^^^^^^^

Dietary change is sometimes a painful but necessary fact of life. Diabetes is no joke, you can go blind, lose extremities, or die

As a diabetic myself (diagnosed 2 years ago) I have taken a keen interest in reading content labels. Lots of carbohydrates in a food equals lots of sugar in your system a couple hours later. Foods like jelly are essentially sugar with a flavoring. Milk even 1%, is about 12 grams of carbs/sugar per 8 ounce glass. (just a bit less than 1/2 ounce of sugar per glass!). Some sugars show up in your blood test fairly quickly and then take a while to be processed down to a more normal level.

Everyone is different but I am working on my management with lots of proteins, (turkey, chicken fish), meds, exercise and portion control.

A1C went from 10.2 to my current and stable 6.2 to 6.4. Not great but a huge improvement. Have also lost about 30 pounds which is a nice side benefit.

Take care of yourself.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Strictly reduce carbs and sugar. Some say avoid synthetic sweeteners.

Look up good carbs, you do need some.

Eat protein and vegies. Fruit is ok in small quantities.

Eat recommended portions spread out through the day. Smaller meals more frequently, say every 4 hours.

Exercise. Can be walking briskly 4-5 times a week.

Test your blood before eating.

As a long time diabetic, welcome to the game.
"Normal" is gone.

Simple: give up carbs.  Period.
All the water, snake oil and magic beans are useless.

No more biscuits, no more jelly, no more pancakes, cookies, Mexican food, noodles, pasta, potatoes, french fries, booze.
You can play games with it, but are only deluding yourself.
A few pushups or running around the back yard won't do it.
You either burn it up, store it as lard, or pee it out.

I have clients who bulk up with heavy weight lifting.
This provides more muscle tissue to burn it.

Here is how it works:
You have excess glucose in your blood stream because you are insulin resistant.
Either your pancreas has a problem, or far more likely, your cells are no long uptaking that glucose.

The glucose molecule looks like a wrecking ball under the microscope.
It is very large, and you will GO BLIND from the destruction it wreaks in the tiny vessels in your eyes.
This is the first place where diabetic damage can be seen.

Many Type 2 diabetics are fatties... including myself.
Insulin is the classic Catch-22 game.
It becomes very difficult to lose weight with my insulin regimen.

Keep a food and testing log.
Everybody reacts differently to various foods.
I can eat an entire watermelon with little more than a blip.
Same for apples and oranges.
Bananas, grapes, potatoes do me massive dirt.
Squash, much less so.

Jardiance is a new Rx on the market that lets you pee out excess glucose.
One side effect is dry-mouth, which will rot out your teeth like a Meth head if you don't treat it.
This is a problem I am diagnosing right now with a CPAP.

image.medicine.electron.microscope.02.glucose.red.blood.cell.720.sfw.jpg

I'm on Farxiga which also uses the kidney to get rid of it.  One day I did a test to see if it was working.  I ate healthy that day but did not take my pill, and did not eat desert.  By 8pm I was at 264.  

The next day I took my pill and ate like I always eat and ate a small portion of ice cream for desert and by 8pm I was 180.  

15 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Coconut sugar is said to be the lowest on the glycemic scale.

I think a nice blond about five five...And very nicely build...Would be the lowest...I am sure she could go by the name Sugar...

Texas Lizard

I got off all my type 2 meds this year. I changed my diet.

No carbs. No sugar. No bread, no wheat, oats, cereal, no jelly, no gravy...all high in carbs. 

Eat: protein, omega 3 fatty acids, beef, pork, chicken, salmon, tuna, sardines. turkey, eggs, bacon, sausage. 

Vegetables like: celery, radishes, lettuce, cabbage, onions, peppers.

NO peanuts !!! Peanuts are NOT a nut...they are a legume.

Beans? Peas?....not so much....high in carbs.  

If you have to eat nuts...only eat a few pecans, or walnuts. A few!!!! 

I fast a couple of times a week. Never eat between meals. 

Drink only water with a little lemon in it...or black coffee, or unsweetened tea.

No beer. Big time carbs. 

No soft drinks...they contain sugar, or artificial sweeteners. 

Milk contains milk sugar, or casein. Avoid that. Skim milk, or 2 % milk, has had most of the butter fat removed, and thus you are left with a majority of milk sugar. It is better to drink heavy cream, than it is to drink skim milk, or 2 % milk. 

Only sparingly use: stevia, or monk-fruit, to sweeten things....never sugar, NEVER aspartame, or any artificial sweetener.

Use ONLY: extra virgin olive oil, or coconut oil, to cook things in....NEVER: corn oil, peanut oil, Wesson oil, vegetable oil, Crisco, safflower oil, and especially NEVER Canola oil !!!!!  

If you want to fix this, you will have to change your food plan/eating habits. No, it is not easy, it is not fun. But if you want to be healthy, If you want to avoid type 2 diabetes, and type 2 diabetes meds, or worry about going blind, or having toes, feet, and more, amputated, kidney failure, heart failure, then you really have no choice.

Of course, the decision is yours. 

Choose wisely.

I totally agree on the artificial sweetners.  I always feel off if I eat something that has them.  It aggravates me that sugar free on a food package means artificial sweetener.  

I asked for the monitor so I could get an idea how each food changes my readings.  The list of foods to avoid is real helpful as well.  One side effect of the farxiga is that before I never had a sweet tooth, with medication I find I crave sugar.   

What drives me really batty is I will go weed eat until the full tank runs dry and come back in and my sugar be above 250.  Seems like it should do the opposite. 

6 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

What drives me really batty is I will go weed eat until the full tank runs dry and come back in and my sugar be above 250.  Seems like it should do the opposite. 

When my wife was diagnosed with Type 2 that was covered in some of the classes we took.  The body releases stored sugars.  https://www.mysugr.com/en/blog/high-blood-sugar-after-exercise/

Archived