SASS Wire Forum

SxS barrel question

Chief Rick

1 hour ago, Chacón said:

That doesn't seem right to me.  A lot of muzzle devices for rifles aren't straight and nobody is saying the barrel length is measured from the shortest distance.

The rule of thumb is from the bolt to the end of the barrel.

The BATFE doesn't make the law.

Don't know about the batfe.  But the dnr around here use a rod, 18" is painted red, above that was white. They close the action drop the rod down the barrel.  If red is visible   the gun was considered illegal

9 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

Don't know about the batfe.  But the dnr around here use a rod, 18" is painted red, above that was white. They close the action drop the rod down the barrel.  If red is visible   the gun was considered illegal

Before I opened my own shop - I oversaw 28 pawnshop locations as the FFL manager.

So I went thru a fair number of ATF inspections and I saw the two tone rod more than once.

Also remember - the agent looking at your gun may know less (a lot less) than you - they are not firearm experts.

I had an agent tell me overall length was always measured in a straight line along the barrel - barrel until it dropped off - didnt matter if the gun continued after that because that was not in that straight line didnt count in the overall length.

I argued and debated until finally grabbing an A5 humpback shotgun and measuring from the muzzle to the "hump" and asking if this gun is illegal because it was less than 26" - and do we simply disregard all this wood hanging off the rear?

He had to call his supervisor for clarification.

Archived